Where did your name originate from

Sheffield Cricket club formed around 1920 took the name from the day of the week they didn't work and played.  Where the name 'The Wednesday' came from

They decided to branch out to football in 1867 where they took the name 'The Wednesday' football club.

• Like 1

Not allowed to play sport on the sabbath then the only other time that many people got to indulge in sport was on half day closing - which was a Wednesday. Saturdays were commerce/trading days

Originally called The Wednesday Football Club

Thats a very short version btw

• Like 4

1 minute ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Sheffield Cricket club formed around 1920 took the name from the day of the week they didn't work and played.  Where the name 'The Wednesday' came from

They decided to branch out to football in 1867 where they took the name 'The Wednesday' football club.

Interesting but fascinating how it came about for yous .

1 minute ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

The Wednesday Cricket club formed in 1820

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, scram said:

Not allowed to play sport on the sabbath then the only other time that many people got to indulge in sport was on half day closing - which was a Wednesday. Saturdays were commerce/trading days

Originally called The Wednesday Football Club

Thats a very short version btw

Have yous always been in the same colours blue and white stripes since being formed .

Just lots of teams changed colours ours weren't red and white stripes originally and we started off at a ground in Newcastle Road 😀 

1 minute ago, Safcfaninpeace said:

Have yous always been in the same colours blue and white stripes since being formed .

Just lots of teams changed colours ours weren't red and white stripes originally and we started off at a ground in Newcastle Road 😀 

We've always played in blue and white but there is a bit of  uncertainty about how the blue and white was configured on the shirts - it could have been stripes (like it is now) or it could have been half blue and half white (like Blackburn Rovers) but, I think, most SWFC historians think it was blue and white hoops (like QPR).  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shandypants said:

We've always played in blue and white but there is a bit of  uncertainty about how the blue and white was configured on the shirts - it could have been stripes (like it is now) or it could have been half blue and half white (like Blackburn Rovers) but, I think, most SWFC historians think it was blue and white hoops (like QPR).  

So yous have been through every combination possible 😁

Also, our nickname used to be The Blades (before that other lot across the city existed) and we used to play at Bramall Lane (again, before that other lot across the city existed) although that was never owned by us - we just rented it for a season or two.  

15 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Also, our nickname used to be The Blades (before that other lot across the city existed) and we used to play at Bramall Lane (again, before that other lot across the city existed) although that was never owned by us - we just rented it for a season or two.  

Wow that's interesting. 

I'd hate to ever been called anything like the lot up the road from us 

• Haha 1

I cba to do any research on this, but I’m sure there was a thread on this a few years back and in football’s early days there were several “Wednesdays” and even a “Thursday”. Maybe I dreamt it?

Edited by Tamworthowl
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

I cba to do any research on this, but I’m sure there was a thread on this a few years back and in football’s early days there were several “Wednesdays” and even a “Thursday”. Maybe I dreamt it?

I vaguely remember something like that too.