Where did your name originate from

27 minutes ago, Five Archers said:

Upon returning from the Napoleonic wars and the battle of Waterloo, Major Wawaw soon got bored in the cricket off season.

Sat drinking one Wednesday afternoon in the long disappeared Olive Grove pub with his mates Consilio and Animis he proposed forming a football club, “that’s a phóòking great idea” cried Consilio and Animis.

Thus FFS Wednesday was born.

That's me convinced 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Five Archers said:

Upon returning from the Napoleonic wars and the battle of Waterloo, Major Wawaw soon got bored in the cricket off season.

Sat drinking one Wednesday afternoon in the long disappeared Olive Grove pub with his mates Consilio and Animis he proposed forming a football club, “that’s a phóòking great idea” cried Consilio and Animis.

Brilliant 😂😂

• Thanks 1

Everybody knows that Lord Snooty’s ancestors created the name in homage to the day of the week that the master had rumpy pumpy with his chamber maid, while Lady Snooty was having her wicked way with Mellors the gardener. 

FFS

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

I cba to do any research on this, but I’m sure there was a thread on this a few years back and in football’s early days there were several “Wednesdays” and even a “Thursday”. Maybe I dreamt it?

3 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

I vaguely remember something like that too.

Me too so it must be true.lol

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Safcfaninpeace said:

Love the name Wednesday.  How did it come about .

Beats being called united I hate any team with a united after it especially being up here in the North East 

We left Brammall Lane when the council put the rent up and moved to an area just outside Owlerton, which is probably why we are called the Owls, although some people will tell you an Owl used to reside in the South Stand.

After leaving Bumhole Lane the council were left with an empty stadium

Our president in his wisdom decided to unite some of the other teams in Sheffield, I forget who they were, but I believe there was around 5 teams, his idea was to give Wednesday some competition

Our president refused to join the newly formed league, prefering to stay local.

At some point our players threatened to walk away if we didn't join the league, that's why we were late starters to the league and not founding members, even though we are the 4th oldest club in the country

The newly formed Sheffield United didn't have a kit, so their early games they played in a set of blue and white stripes that Wednesday had left at the ground. 

United have always been Wednesday lite, they have our old ground, played in our old kit, and they took our old nickname

They've wanted to be us ever since.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Can someone tell me how many games wednesday played at Bramall Lane. One of my mates (he's a blunt, I know....i'm sorry) said we only only played 1 game there before we left which I know is horseshit but would like to go back to him and put him in his place. 

Always led to believe that The Wednesday Cricket Club was formed by bank employees who at the time worked every Saturday & had Wednesday off …….. As this proved to be more & more popular they decided they needed to make use of the winter months to carry on meeting & expanded to The Wednesday Football Club!

4 hours ago, Five Archers said:

See this is the kind of information Google just cant provide

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mozzy85 said:

Can someone tell me how many games wednesday played at Bramall Lane. One of my mates (he's a blunt, I know....i'm sorry) said we only only played 1 game there before we left which I know is horseshit but would like to go back to him and put him in his place. 

We played at Bramall Lane because it was originally a cricket ground, which The Wednesday Cricket Club played at from 1855 onwards.
(It only had three sides until the mid-70s).

We definitely played a few football fixtures there between 1867 and 1879 too (it hosted various tournaments/cups...etc.) and it was our permanent home for league games from 1880-1887. So, 1 game is definitely BS.

You can tell your mate that his club only exists because the owners of the ground were greedy swine. Their insistence on taking a share of ticket sales meant we could only turn professional by moving to another ground. So, United were set-up solely to replace the revenue scheme. They were basically set-up to spite us (forever in our shadow!). 

Edited by George Whitebread
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, mozzy85 said:

You mean a blade didn’t do his research and still wanted to argue? Shocked!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1