Timidity

Just lose it

The fear of playing at Hillsborough, the fear of the opposition 11, the simple fear of losing at Accrington.

carry on like this, its just going to drift.

I think its ingrained in Darren Moore now, and its holding him back, the players back and the fans back.

I have honestly seen, what I consider better 11's picked on here than tip up on matchday

I'm no expert, but it seems ORDINARY football supporters are of a mind to actually go for the win, pick the best 11 in the best positions to suit them, and sod the opposition.

Its fear.

If its fear of criticism, forget that, cos playing like we are thats gonna come in shedloads...Just have a bloody go... at Accrington FFS!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Just lose it

The fear of playing at Hillsborough, the fear of the opposition 11, the simple fear of losing at Accrington.

I think its ingrained in Darren Moore now, and its holding him back, the players back and the fans back.

I have honestly seen, what I consider better 11's picked on here than tip up on matchday

I'm no expert, but it seems ORDINARY football supporters are of a mind to actually go for the win, pick the best 11 in the best positions to suit them, and sod the opposition.

Its fear.

If its fear of criticism, forget that, cos playing like we are thats gonna come in shedloads...Just have a bloody go... at Accrington FFS!

I'm not 100% clear yet but sounds good

Do you mean with Darren Moore he's too scared to really go for it with team selections and tactics?

Owlstalk Shop

Maybe I'm underplaying the role of team selection and tactics but it feels to me that we are lacking a lot of the mental attributes of a successful team that is dedicated to the cause. We are very fragile, lack confidence, struggle to take control of games (or control them for the majority of the game), we struggle to keep hold of leads, we struggle to gain points from behind (although we have got a couple of draws recently. We just look less fit than these 'smaller' teams that seem to have no fear and play above themselves to stop us winning. I can't help but feel that so much of this comes from the manager and coaching, it has too. That's the difference between players running through brick walls for each other and managers that can get the best and more out of players and squads. 

The players here clearly respect and like Darren but for me that's possibly our problem. The same could be said of Alan Irvine. Players call him a gent and one of the nicest men in football. How about getting results? How about making the players give everything because they fear that if they don't the manager will not find it acceptable. It all feels too nice here. Like we have all the time in the world. Like it doesn't matter that much because Darren 'doesn't care about performances'. It's just the same old soft touch Wednesday. The same sort of manager appointed by Chansiri because he will always employ the sort of man that he likes and can get along with. But really these sorts of managers will never be truly successful here. 

Mandaric was ballsy enough to get Megson in and then sack him and then get Dave Jones. These are the sorts of bold decisions that Chansiri has absoloutely no idea about. Whilst he is chairman, Darren (and similar men) are in charge, we will ALWAYS be this soft touch, confused, lacking direction, apathetic Wednesday side. We need major changes in attitude and approach behind the scenes to make this squad successful. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Do you mean with Darren Moore he's too scared to really go for it with team selections and tactics?

More or less.....and as the criticism grows, the timidity will, the fans get angrier and we eat ourselves...

In my opinion, darren Moore as other managers before him..Looked at the club and the support and thought 

"How can so many managers get it wrong here???"

Then he comes, but simply forgets this fanbase have had this crap for 2 decades..20 bloody years mate

The patience lasts 20 minutes at Hillsborough, then its the odd groan...I always find that worse than some of the vitriol that cascades down the stands,that bloody "animal in pain" moan, when we go behind.

Darrens on the touchline thinkin' 

"Whats wrong with them"?

We are in the stands thinkin' 

"Whats wrong with him"?

We simply don't have the patience....

Patience is NOT 20 years..thats bloody ageing, thats fans sitting in the stands wondering if they are gonna be dead before they see owt like a team again.

Thats 25 yr old fans who have vague memories of decent football and 22 yr old fans who simply remember crap.

I think Megson understood it, Wilkinson understood it, Big Ron...probably didn't understand it, but couldn't give a flyer...which also helps

The players??...They have not the foggiest about it.

How do you square the circle?

Bloody go for it..forget the groaning, ignore the catcalls

and maybe don't read Owlstalk

• Like 5

1 hour ago, asteener1867 said:

Just lose it

Its fear.

We are spineless mate. Soft as shiete 

• Like 1

It's the style of play for me that's timid.

I knew we we're going to lose by three goals or more at Plymouth. Plymouth only drew at Hillsborough because they been on a coach from Plymouth since the crack of dawn.

The formation in recent weeks is really quite attacking, but it's down our style of play.

- We're playing three at the back.

- Two of the three at the back are fullbacks, and one you could argue is a winger. That's why we're getting screwed at set pieces, but possession and attacking wise you have to give DM credit here.

- The wide players in the five are often not defensively minded. Once again very attack minded in recent weeks.

The heart of the problem seems to be the end product. Our midfield and attack don't seem to be able to combine to unlock a defence. More often than not they only ask a limited set of questions of defenders, which they repeat even though they clearly fail. The very definition of madness. Repeatedly launching crosses into the box even though there is no Target man there (As we never signed one)

Corbaneu is a rarity in our attacking play as he's unpredictable. You get the feeling the more games he plays, they will eventually coach that out of him.

Sadly these were the same problems under Monk. So the UEFA coaching badges probably tell coaches the fans of Sheffield Wednesday love this B### S###

Edited by Revenant

I think the players have to be of a certain mindset and calibre to deal with the Hillsbrough crowd.  Where this is the only weekend release for a lot of people.

Everybody is aware of the stature of the club and some of the players that have played for us.

The expectations are up there.  Do some of the lower league players snapped up by us get overawed? 

Think Dave Jones did Ok cos he didn't give a f...The same as Steve Bruce.

The Fear of failure can either drive you on to greatness... 

Or drown you in a sea of dread... 

I think our manager is suffering from the latter. 

He had WBA playing good semi expansive attacking football, but ended up getting the boot over results. 

He had a similar situation at Donny too, though we have him the outball as the slide was gathering heavy momentum. 

Im in a mind that could be in his thoughts making him overly cautious and second guessing team selections, hence way too much tinkering and its slowly killing him this team and support for him. 

14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I just think he worries too much about the opposition, let them worry about us,let them see what players we have and what players we have on the bench! But they won't because their managers have them in the belief they can get a result against us.

35 minutes ago, Stu said:

I just think he worries too much about the opposition, let them worry about us,let them see what players we have and what players we have on the bench! But they won't because their managers have them in the belief they can get a result against us.

Yeah bang on mate 

We should be playing with arrogance not fear 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop