2 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Whilst being Devils Advocate here the wife looked at me and said of Wildsmith " Why did he just stop running? 

Has someone just taken his batteries out ? .....

That's the thing that gets me with that goal.

Brown's pass was dreadful and should never have been placed between the posts, but Wildsmith looked like he could reach the ball...and then he just stopped.

Very, very strange.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The latter part of your post might help explain the former: Brown's clearly not a centre back.

Stick him out on the wing and let him run at players, and he's got something there we can work with. 

But, in this system, he's nowhere near as effective, offensively, as Corbeanu, Shodipo, Hunt and in all likelihood, Mendez-Laing.

Strangely enough, in the early weeks of this season where he showed most promise, most fans would've said his best position is wing back. But, now we've switched to a system that utilises them, he's further away from a starting berth than ever!

Brown for me, presently, is a substitute that you bring on to replace the offensive left wing back, in the last 10 minutes of games to protect a lead. 

But, fundamentally, I agree, one thing he is not, is a centre half.

2 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

But, in this system, he's nowhere near as effective, offensively, as Corbeanu, Shodipo, Hunt and in all likelihood, Mendez-Laing.

Strangely enough, in the early weeks of this season where he showed most promise, most fans would've said his best position is wing back. But, now we've switched to a system that utilises them, he's further away from a starting berth than ever!

Brown for me, presently, is a substitute that you bring on to replace the offensive left wing back, in the last 10 minutes of games to protect a lead. 

But, fundamentally, I agree, one thing he is not, is a centre half.

I agree. At present, he's a backup player who we might use to add some fresh legs late on.

I think many assumed he'd suit wing-back as he's played most of his football at left-back prior to joining us, so it seems like it should be a good fit.

As you say, his promising early performances all came when we were using a back four and he was on the left of midfield, though!

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out for him from here. He looks like he has it in him to be a decent player at this level, but things just haven't clicked for him here as of yet.

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I agree. At present, he's a backup player who we might use to add some fresh legs late on.

I think many assumed he'd suit wing-back as he's played most of his football at left-back prior to joining us, so it seems like it should be a good fit.

As you say, his promising early performances all came when we were using a back four and he was on the left of midfield, though!

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out for him from here. He looks like he has it in him to be a decent player at this level, but things just haven't clicked for him here as of yet.

Despite his encouraging earlier performances, I think the general feeling was, he was still playing out of position, and that long term, he was never going to be the answer on the left wing in a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. He was a stop gap, until Corbeanu, Shodipo, Windass etc. got fit and up to speed.

59 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Brown's pass was dreadful and should never have been placed between the posts, but Wildsmith looked like he could reach the ball...and then he just stopped.

Very, very strange.

Definitely looked like he could get it or at least have a go at clawing or kicking it off the line. He just gave up on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Compare the distance between the opposites player when the ball goes past Wildsmith and where he is when the ball crossed the line

Sure he has more forward momentum but if Wildsmith just legs it towards goal he definitely has a good chance of stopping that before it goes in

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Its over the line though and he isnt near it. Just my opinion though

2 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Despite his encouraging earlier performances, I think the general feeling was, he was still playing out of position, and that long term, he was never going to be the answer on the left wing in a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. He was a stop gap, until Corbeanu, Shodipo, Windass etc. got fit and up to speed.

Yeah, maybe. It seemed like he'd slot in at left-back, where he's played most of his career to date, but we've changed the system now and despite appearing like a good fit at wing-back, he's not really shown much there.

54 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Compare the distance between the opposites player when the ball goes past Wildsmith and where he is when the ball crossed the line

Sure he has more forward momentum but if Wildsmith just legs it towards goal he definitely has a good chance of stopping that before it goes in

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Poor pass but I did think at the time that Wildsmith gave up on it far too early.

Such a strange goal to concede. It was a bad back pass but it looked recoverable. 

If Wildsmith had dived on it and saved it with his hands, it would've been an indirect free kick for them - but would there have been any further sanction? Yellow for unsporting behaviour perhaps? 

Can't see any amendment to denying a goal scoring opportunity rule that means the ref could give him a red?!

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He looks like he has it in him to be a decent player at this level

Really...he looks as though playing at this level is beneath him. He needs to go sharpish before he infects all the other squad players...oh wait...err

4 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Really...he looks as though playing at this level is beneath him. He needs to go sharpish before he infects all the other squad players...oh wait...err

In his first few appearances for us he looked like he could be a threat with his direct running and dribbling. 

I'm not sure why his performances have suffered since, but I don't think League One is beyond him if he can find his form.

26 minutes ago, Supersiggi2 said:

If Wildsmith had dived on it and saved it with his hands, it would've been an indirect free kick for them - but would there have been any further sanction? Yellow for unsporting behaviour perhaps? 

Can't see any amendment to denying a goal scoring opportunity rule that means the ref could give him a red?!

Sadly not

Would have just been a freekick 

5 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Very, very strange.

Wildsmith's positioning was strange, his reactions slow and his desire to keep the ball out just about non-existent.

He was poor on the first goal as well.