Wilder Gone

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Eh? Do you not know how banter works?

My blades mates are officially in mourning over Wilder leaving. And I’m here winding them up while there insults about us going to the Pub League barely even register.

It’s great.

Great bants! 

Why you being grumpy.

lol

Sorry!

I'll try to get back to laughing at them, the main thread on them has certainly offered plenty of that this season, thankfully.

I actually think its a good thing they have sacked him from our perspective because the majority of the fan base didn't want it to happen and are turning on the board, which will be even more the case of they are not happy with his successor. Whoever they choose will have to hit the ground running otherwise it will get even more sour. 

I don't think he is a great manager, completely agree with your post about him seemingly being fairly responsible for the transfers and that has been his & their demise. He was very good for them overall though and the speed of their rise has probably cost him now.

Looks like we will be in the 3rd division next season. I hope our manager will be able to get us to the top half of the Premier League in 4 seasons time.   

Guest T Hardy
10 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Just on Wilder and all bias aside...

I think he did an absolutely fantastic job with them. Two promotions in 3 years with that squad of players is nothing short of remarkable. And then last season to hold their own in the Premier League has to be applauded. I genuinely think he saw our relative success in the first couple of seasons of Chansiri’s ownership and pushed United to make sure we were no longer top dogs in the city. He tapped into his bunch of misfits and lower league plodders and galvanised them with a real us vs them mentality. 

That wave of positivity carried them in the Premier League last season. Momentum can go a long way in football even with average players and United are a fantastic case study of that. The fans also bought into Wilder and his squad and that made them a real force.

HOWEVER. I always said the transfer window going into season number two in the Prem would be hugely important. The group of players were clearly punching above their weight and that wasn’t going to last. Throw into the mix the fact crowds went, the train of momentum pretty much ground to a halt. He needed to get recruitment right in the summer to maintain the level of success he was having. But his recruitment was shambolic. 

I believe he was responsible for signings? But as soon as he had to spend money he got it all wrong. Burke, Brewster, McBurnie, Berge, Osborn, Bogle - all poor signings and some of them cost serious money. They simply didn’t improve the team he had quite smartly recruited in seasons before. His weaknesses have really been exposed this season. And I think it’s fair to say a lot of his success was based on terrific man management and incredible momentum rather than tactical nous.

And to finish. I take great comfort in the fact United fans only got to see their side in the Premier League for about 5 months. Didn’t want them to enjoy it for too long.

I wish we had our own Wilder. A manager who is an Owl through and through and could get players to play for him like Wilder did (I’m a fan of Moore though for what it’s worth) 

Not to pitch an ITK post or anything like that, but a friend knows a United fan who knows Wilder, and when they got promoted to the Championship, he was absolutely insistent on the fact that they’d come to Hillsborough and beat us, and apparently was saying it to everyone all summer that he was so sure. I think at the time I put it down to chest beating nonsense, but I actually reckon he probably looked at us that season and thought pound for pound, they’d outfight us and beat us. Doesn’t look particularly clever or that it would need a genius with hindsight either actually lol

8 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

I wish we had our own Wilder. A manager who is an Owl through and through and could get players to play for him like Wilder did (I’m a fan of Moore though for what it’s worth) 

Not to pitch an ITK post or anything like that, but a friend knows a United fan who knows Wilder, and when they got promoted to the Championship, he was absolutely insistent on the fact that they’d come to Hillsborough and beat us, and apparently was saying it to everyone all summer that he was so sure. I think at the time I put it down to chest beating nonsense, but I actually reckon he probably looked at us that season and thought pound for pound, they’d outfight us and beat us. Doesn’t look particularly clever or that it would need a genius with hindsight either actually lol

Yep he wanted to get one over on us massively. He drummed it into their players. Someone told me he put quotes around the dressing room of what Wednesday fans were saying about United and their squad. 

Wouldn’t be completely surprised if that was the case. 

Guest T Hardy

Yep he wanted to get one over on us massively. He drummed it into their players. Someone told me he put quotes around the dressing room of what Wednesday fans were saying about United and their squad. 

Yeah can totally believe that.

Perhaps another example too of something that maybe lower league players will respond to that your millionaire footballers will just not care about, and why he’s probably destined to be the new Warnock, and will probably take a lot of teams up.

Urgh.

Guest T Hardy
3 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Jesus f**king wept. That’s b@st@rd pathetic 

lol

“Footballs not life and death” then compares a manager leaving to death, ok Alan 

9 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Jesus f**king wept. That’s b@st@rd pathetic 

lol

For a supposed Chesterfield fan he is completely blinkered when it comes to Utd. 

57 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Imagine if he scoured the old “wheels” thread for quotes. Could be some of us directly responsible for them being so hyped up for that 4-2.

Sorry, lads.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Imagine if he scoured the old “wheels” thread for quotes. Could be some of us directly responsible for them being so hyped up for that 4-2.

Sorry, lads.

Can you imagine...

That Sally Cinnamon said we are sh*te.

Sidge? Er...Si er J...who knows, this knobhead says I look like a bus driver and he called Billy fat.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SiJ said:

Brilliantly, and without even the slightest sense of irony, he then tweets this: 

image.png.09b96907e5c764325e8405b0b0d14604.png

Bet Wilders a big cuddly old bear when you talk to him