How tempted will football be to continue live I-Follow games after the Rona's gone?

Before you read this post, if you're one of those fans who goes home and away to every game and wouldn't dream of missing a game at Hillsborough this thread is NOT for you

Now...

I wonder how many fans actually prefer being able to stream games live on matchday instead of having to travel, park the car up, sit in a cold echoing warehouse of a half empty ground, not being able to get a phone signal, being sold overpriced beers and finding out the food all sold out at half time?

I wonder if - when things return to normal - that live streams of games will have to continue and even be expanded to accomodate the demand for it now some fans will prefer to watch from their homes?

And if so I wonder how many clubs will regret not investing more into their grounds facilities like the food, drink, pricing, toilets, leg room etc

It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out

I think clubs will push for a return to people going back to the ground, but i think the demand won't be there from the fans, plus I think TV will push for live streams to continue and expand until eventually all games are available all the time.

This could well be a moment where fans actually really do start to matter to clubs instead of being taken for granted like we have had in previous years having to put up with no real improvement in the facilities at most grounds

What do you think?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

Excellent post.

I for one right now have no desire to sit/visit:

Football Stadium 

Nightclub

Cinema

Theatre

Supermarkets

Or anywhere that involves crowds, sure some will be itching and some will feel like me.

I think that crowds will be well down and will take a long time before people trust the world as it were and Pack arenas out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, helmut_rooster said:

Excellent post.

I for one right now have no desire to sit/visit:

Football Stadium 

Nightclub

Cinema

Theatre

Supermarkets

Or anywhere that involves crowds, sure some will be itching and some will feel like me.

I think that crowds will be well down and will take a long time before people trust the world as it were and Pack arenas out.

I'm dying to go travelling again
I'm also desperate to go to gigs and theatre 

Forget the health aspect for a moment though. Let's say we did conquer this virus and it went away and was a thing of the past..

Football wise I'm happy with watching games at home on my VR headset on a 100 inch screen, in the warm, having what I want to eat and drink, but miss the camaraderie and social aspect of the crowds

I think if I-Follow or TV was to offer a season ticket for home and away games for all matches in a season it's going to be a hard sell for Chansiri to tempt many fans back to the ground with it's empty warehouse atmosphere, overpriced drinks, out of stock food etc

I honestly believe that any clubs who have simply refused to update and improve their facilities to improve the offering to their own fans are going to pay big time if live streaming games becomes a thing (which it could well be)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

I’m a season ticket holder.. but only get to a few away games a season, I personally will always go to the games, cus its my time away from the mrs and kids (as much as I love them) it’s my escapism. 

I can definitely see the attraction with it been a live stream tho, and I genuinely think we will lose the odd fan to it. 

• Like 3

I think we will still go when games are on the traditional 3pm slot

12 o'clock kick offs can do one, I detest them with a passion

And night games would depend if my son can take me, if he's working I'd prefer ifollow

It's the same with away games, I'm only allowed short distances, like Baaaarnsley

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I think we will still go when games are on the traditional 3pm slot

12 o'clock kick offs can do one, I detest them with a passion

And night games would depend if my son can take me, if he's working I'd prefer ifollow

It's the same with away games, I'm only allowed short distances, like Baaaarnsley

This is the other thing

Kickoff times being at 3pm on a Saturday was as good as we could expect

You could plan, it was accessible to most (not all like Retail workers etc) and was the best it could be

Nowadays the kickoffs get messed around and dates changed and moved which results in fans not being able to get to games, if live streaming becomes a thing then it's going to be initially the solution to that problem, but could end up being the alternative

It could end up that live streams of football become an advert for going to the games 

Owlstalk Shop

I am desperate to get out and about and would love to be back in stadiums, Watching football on the iPad or TV is a very sterile experience for me. It's the whole thing not just the game, meeting up with some mates or taking the kids to experience the atmosphere. Watching the game on tv with a few cans on your own is well...  A bit sad.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Prince said:

I am desperate to get out and about and would love to be back in stadiums, Watching football on the iPad or TV is a very sterile experience for me. It's the whole thing not just the game, meeting up with some mates or taking the kids to experience the atmosphere. Watching the game on tv with a few cans on your own is well...  A bit sad.

It can be yeah

And I get what you're saying about crowds and atmosphere

But I can't help but think it's going to be a huge struggle for clubs when things return

Unless there's massive coordinated huge advertising and promotional campaign to make the return of football an unmissable thing

Owlstalk Shop

i can't wait to get back to watching live games. As a season ticket holder i'll be back as soon as possibly can. The match is only part of the day for me. spending time with my son or having a pint with my mates adds to whole thing

Personally don't think the league will allow i-follow to provide streams to fans once stadia is open 100%. Majority of clubs will want to try and recoup as much lost income as possible

Whether that is the correct commercial decision is anyone's guess but best guess it will return to overseas subscribers only. This just turn people to other methods of obtaining the games

16 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Before you read this post, if you're one of those fans who goes home and away to every game and wouldn't dream of missing a game at Hillsborough this thread is NOT for you

Now...

I wonder how many fans actually prefer being able to stream games live on matchday instead of having to travel, park the car up, sit in a cold echoing warehouse of a half empty ground, not being able to get a phone signal, being sold overpriced beers and finding out the food all sold out at half time?

I wonder if - when things return to normal - that live streams of games will have to continue and even be expanded to accomodate the demand for it now some fans will prefer to watch from their homes?

And if so I wonder how many clubs will regret not investing more into their grounds facilities like the food, drink, pricing, toilets, leg room etc

I think clubs will push for a return to people going back to the ground, but i think the demand won't be there from the fans, plus I think TV will push for live streams to continue and expand until eventually all games are available all the time.

This could well be a moment where fans actually really do start to matter to clubs instead of being taken for granted like we have had in previous years having to put up with no real improvement in the facilities at most grounds

What do you think?

I suppose if you want to give people the choice and see if they actually prefer it then you have to find a price that works for both. It may be that means putting the price for stream up, and bringing the matchday prices down a little. 

£20 for a home stream doesnt seem unreasonable but unfortunately would probably lead to more illegal streams.

A lot of people will have realised that there are things they would rather do.  Also, a lot of people will realise their bank balance looks a lot healthier when they're not spending £100 each month on drinks, food, transport etc for games.

I think a lot of things will change when the pandemic is over.  Cinema will never recover back to old levels IMO.  Too many people have massive screens and sound systems at home, without worrying about people talking through the films or having to dash to the toilet.

Too many clubs have done nothing to encourage the casual fan who wants a comfortable experience.  Take my gf for example, she cares nothing for football but has gone to the occasional match.  She would happily go to more if the facilities were better.  I'm sure she is not alone in that.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

This is the other thing

Kickoff times being at 3pm on a Saturday was as good as we could expect

You could plan, it was accessible to most (not all like Retail workers etc) and was the best it could be

Nowadays the kickoffs get messed around and dates changed and moved which results in fans not being able to get to games, if live streaming becomes a thing then it's going to be initially the solution to that problem, but could end up being the alternative

It could end up that live streams of football become an advert for going to the games 

We could end up not needing stadia

All that is needed is a pitch, surrounded by massive 30 foot advertising boards

Or instead of stadia in it's current design with stands that stretch back

Just have corporate boxes one on top of the other like Hyde Park flats

The die hards could watch the game in total comfort in corporate boxes away from the elements

This pandemic is going to change many things

I still think a few clubs will go under

• Like 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

5 minutes ago, Joe Sunburn said:

... and with the follow-the-ball-camera you miss the big picture you can only see there.  

I'm gonna blow your mind now...

I've not mentioned it on here before

But.

Check out Sky Sports Worlds

It's something that can be explained but needs to be experienced to understand it

Let me try...

So this weekend I put my Oculus Quest VR headset on, sat in my living room and watched a Premier League match where I could sit in the stands in 3D VR
I could choose where to sit whether that's behind the dugouts, in an exec box, on the kop halfway up and the match was in 3d right in front of me - the whole stadium in view as it is in real life

Not just that but hanging in the air above the stadium was a 500 foot screen showing the game as it's shown on TV so you can see other angles, replays, closeups etc

It's brand brand new 

Hardly anyone has heard of it

I would say to anyone who's got a VR Headset to stop what you are doing right now, download the Sky Sports Worlds app for your headset, put it on, watch one of the games that has '180 VR' on the thumbnail and then come back and post what you thought of it

For me it's absolutely mindblowing stuff

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

32 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Now...

What do you think?

Its not financially viable though is it?

It might be for clubs at the top end who will have full stadiums and will still be able to attract huge revenues from streaming but in the Championship?

If streaming games made us money then clubs wouldn't be struggling as much financially due to this pandemic would they? People surely won't pay the same price to watch at home as they would to watch in the ground. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Its not financially viable though is it? 

The only reason that is the case is purely wages of players, which we're being told will end up being 'reset' or lower due to the fallout of this Rona

The demand for Ifollow could see more demand from advertisers on the streams which could bring in additional revenues too

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The only reason that is the case is purely wages of players, which we're being told will end up being 'reset' or lower due to the fallout of this Rona

The demand for Ifollow could see more demand from advertisers on the streams which could bring in additional revenues too

Wages aren't the only reason. 

Revenues are down at the moment, if there was such a demand to pay for I-follow then surely clubs would be making money from fans who would go to the ground anyway and also from fans who wouldn't go to the ground but are now able to purchase I-follow? 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Wages aren't the only reason. 

Revenues are down at the moment, if there was such a demand to pay for I-follow then surely clubs would be making money from fans who would go to the ground anyway and also from fans who wouldn't go to the ground but are now able to purchase I-follow? 

I think you make relevant points but also fail to spot that where there's a will there's a way

And check out the latest VR offering from Sky Sports - that might change your mind on the future too

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think you make relevant points but also fail to spot that where there's a will there's a way

And check out the latest VR offering from Sky Sports - that might change your mind on the future too

I'm not saying it won't be viable as an additional option but just not sure where the price point would be. 

Revenues at clubs at our level are down significantly because the core of their income (besides Sky money) comes from fans in the ground. That suggests that people who are not currently getting I-follow at reduced rates or as season ticket credits are not taking up the option in significant numbers. If clubs lose season ticket holders and match day attendees to I-follow, which is currently cheaper than attending in person was, then their revenues will reduce. Also, if I-follow continues to be made more widely available in the future then Sky are not likely to pay the same for Championship packages.