Bony or Pony?

Guest wilyfox
6 minutes ago, prowl said:

Contract to end of season with option to renew might work. If the wage is reasonable we wouldn't lose much.

Really?! If he doesn’t score the goals to help keep us up, we’d go down and lose a lot. The risk is far greater than his wage. 

Is he better than anything we have? Yes he probably is. Can we find better? Maybe, but evidence suggests we won’t The fact that he would probably accept a short term contract, could work in his favour. Normally I’d be against such a move, but we are where we are

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Really?! If he doesn’t score the goals to help keep us up, we’d go down and lose a lot. The risk is far greater than his wage. 

Because we have a lot of options up front..............?

If we can sign better then do it.

Edited by prowl
  • Like 1

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, prowl said:

Because we have a lot of options up front..............?

If we can sign better then do it.

We have 5 options. They don’t complement each other though, that’s the problem. I was happy to sign Green with his age & talent despite a lack of football, because initially he can push Harris and do a job from the bench. We need a striker who can walk into the starting XI and improve our dynamic. Is Bony up to that straight away? Have my doubts. He’d probably break down as we try to get him going again. We need someone more dependable who can influence the team.

He's 32, had one decent goalscoring season in England, he's not the answer up front.

He's looking for a final payday, he's was never the hardest working striker even in his pomp.

This is exactly the sort of deal we should look at and then run 3000 miles in the other direction

No, he got lucky with his big move and his career nosedived since. I don't think anyone will be willing to supplement his retirement pot in exchange for an inevitable stint in the treatment room. 

If he really does want to play football, why not play for his friend at Newport.

We probably can’t spend any money, but there are plenty of good young number 9s in the Belgian and French second tiers. You can pick up a promising striker for under a million. Whether they can adapt to Championship football is another matter, but plenty have gone on to play in the top leagues in Europe. Certainly they represent better value than what we paid for Windass and Paterson. 
I can remember Bruce saying that was an area where we were looking, and he mentioned that he wanted to bring Samatta here from Belgium, but his price rocketed when Premier League clubs started sniffing around. Do we still have those ex Villa recruitment guys, or have they gone now