Thompson, Bullen and Haslam have Covid

Guest LondonOwl313
2 minutes ago, Daizan10 said:

We have a car crash government who send kids back to school for one day, and haven't made a single statement without contradicting it a few days later. Other countries who didn't let it run wild, and aren't run by idiots are doing far better. Sweden's monarch, who sits there and shuts up normally, criticised the approach and accused them of sacrificing all the old people. 

I agree re the U.K. government mate.. I guess we’ve been unlucky with the new variant but they say things you know they will contradict. 

All I’m saying is they will tell us the vaccine is the way forward and will

work right up to the point at which it’s clear it doesn’t. There’s no strategy in place for living alongside it if necessary because that involves difficult decisions like preservation of old folk vs having an economy, kids education etc etc 

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

For the third and last time the Vaccines will work that's what they do.  Stop worrying 

I hope you’re right mate.. doesn’t stop me worrying though

2 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I agree re the U.K. government mate.. I guess we’ve been unlucky with the new variant but they say things you know they will contradict. 

All I’m saying is they will tell us the vaccine is the way forward and will

work right up to the point at which it’s clear it doesn’t. There’s no strategy in place for living alongside it if necessary because that involves difficult decisions like preservation of old folk vs having an economy, kids education etc etc 

I'm willing to sit tight, until it becomes evident its all for naught, personally. There is a chance its only for another few months. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I read earlier that the UK's death total for today is higher than the total amount of deaths in Australia. 

Yep, we had more deaths in 24 hours than Australia has had throughout the whole pandemic. 

Yeah Australia have record 908 deaths for the whole thing (well that was a few days ago when I looked). 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

For the third and last time the Vaccines will work that's what they do.  Stop worrying 

I have one thought process to pass on to you.

Flu jab, do you get it?   Why do you need a new one every year?   Why do they sometimes not work?

We aren't talking flu here, I know.   We are talking something that is quite easily able to evolve on the fly very quickly, just as flu does.     A single vaccine is very unlikely to eradicate Coronavirus.    Just as we haven't been able to eradicate the Flu.

Future covid vaccines will be very much like the flu in so much as they will probably incorporate the best "bet" at the most virulent strains of the year.

This is unlikely to be a one stop hit with this mass vaccination.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/south-african-sars-cov-2-variant-alarms-scientists-68317/amp

This virus will likely adapt quicker than we can react, tweak the vaccine, distribute and inoculate. We had barely any cases last January and 6 weeks later we were overran.

The government is obviously going to push this as a solution because they want to keep morale from imploding yet it might not work.  

Its not a 100% guarantee you are right. But the sooner we get on top of these current variants the more chance we'll have. If we get on top we can (and probably will) stay on top. 

(Regarding the SA variant in particular -although we do not yet know how effective the vaccines are against it, it is highly unlikely that they wouldn't be at least somewhat effective - and changes can be made in a few weeks to get it back up to full efficacy). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Salmonbones said:

I have one thought process to pass on to you.

Flu jab, do you get it?   Why do you need a new one every year?   Why do they sometimes not work?

We aren't talking flu here, I know.   We are talking something that is quite easily able to evolve on the fly very quickly, just as flu does.     A single vaccine is very unlikely to eradicate Coronavirus.    Just as we haven't been able to eradicate the Flu.

Future covid vaccines will be very much like the flu in so much as they will probably incorporate the best "bet" at the most virulent strains of the year.

Watched a couple of Professors earlier on the BBC news, who deal  with vaccines they weren't worried

2 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Flu is a tye of COVID virus. It will need to be topped up year by year. Scientists have said they think humanity will have to live with it, as they do flu. It will kill people every year. But lets get as prepared as we can before we decide to embrace our fate. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Watched a couple of Professors earlier on the BBC news, who deal  with vaccines they weren't worried

Ok, put this into perspective.    Are you worried by the Flu?

Me neither.   Not in the grand scheme of things.   It doesn't mean Flu isn't a killer.

What I am suggesting is that 10 years from now, we will be offered Flu vaccines, we will be offered covid vaccines - probably not in the same inoculation.

But you cannot say these vaccines are the end to the matter, far from it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Daizan10 said:

Flu is a tye of COVID virus. It will need to be topped up year by year. Scientists have said they think humanity will have to live with it, as they do flu. It will kill people every year. But lets get as prepared as we can before we decide to embrace our fate. 🙂 

I'm not going to pretend I have a vast knowledge - I think Flu and Covid aren't the same though.    They have similar respiratory symptoms but are caused by a vastly different virus.

I'm comparing them simply because I think they share a similar ability to morph, year on year - hiding from the Human ability to form  antibodies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Salmonbones said:

Ok, put this into perspective.    Are you worried by the Flu?

Me neither.   Not in the grand scheme of things.   It doesn't mean Flu isn't a killer.

What I am suggesting is that 10 years from now, we will be offered Flu vaccines, we will be offered covid vaccines - probably not in the same inoculation.

But you cannot say these vaccines are the end to the matter, far from it.

Maybe but it should get us back to some semblance of normality.   Having said I did quite like the first lockdown (apart from people dying) everyone seemed more chilled and friendlier, the planet itself seemed a bit more relaxed.

We should do it more often.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Maybe but it should get us back to some semblance of normality.   Having said I did quite like the first lockdown (apart from people dying) everyone seemed more chilled and friendlier, the planet itself seemed a bit more relaxed.

We should do it more often.

You live in a better area than I do!

A few days into first lockdown - local tesco had a one direction only policy.     I was following it, the guy in front of me didn't know what he was looking for and turned back on me and gobbed me out for being too close (2 metres initially until he backed up!) and told me didn't I know there was a killer virus out there!   I politely pointed out the footprints on the floor showing direction.    He called me a nobhead then realised he was wrong and just silently turned round and walked around the shop again.

Then you get your imbeciles wearing masks incorrectly - of course, they don't think they can breathe through their nose!    You walk in on someone telling them so and my god, world war three breaks out.   Covid breathe flying everywhere whilst the argument ensues!

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

You live in a better area than I do!

A few days into first lockdown - local tesco had a one direction only policy.     I was following it, the guy in front of me didn't know what he was looking for and turned back on me and gobbed me out for being too close (2 metres initially until he backed up!) and told me didn't I know there was a killer virus out there!   I politely pointed out the footprints on the floor showing direction.    He called me a nobhead then realised he was wrong and just silently turned round and walked around the shop again.

Then you get your imbeciles wearing masks incorrectly - of course, they don't think they can breathe through their nose!    You walk in on someone telling them so and my god, world war three breaks out.   Covid breathe flying everywhere whilst the argument ensues!

We have Waitrose and correctly fitting masks.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Go on then, compare London to Christchurch.    Birmingham to Hamilton, or even Paige hall in Sheffield to a big town in New Zealand.

Do you not know the difference between Australia and New Zealand?

• Haha 1

Just a small point on mutations—apologies if it’s already been brought up. The virus mutates within a host, so allowing it to reproduce unchecked (i.e. “herd immunity”) massively increases the chance of mutations that would potentially render vaccines ineffective.

The best long term strategy would have been eradication, but I doubt the government will have the stomach for that now (or in fact the logistical capability, if past performance is anything to go by).   

• Like 1
  • Love 2