Thompson, Bullen and Haslam have Covid

Anyway, random crazy posters aside, back to the OP.

Hope the Wednesday guys with COVID get better and soon!

I assume they caught the Virus during club activities, probably at the Derby game. They have caught the thing doing their best to keep football on for us lot! 
If it continues to escalate like it has in the past few days across different clubs I think there is a real risk the plug will be pulled on the season. 
In truth football is the least of my worries but if it can be made safe then great but if they have to close it down then so be it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hmm, let's see, do i take advice from a random Owlstalk poster on how to deal with covid or all the senior epidemiologists, virologists and medical experts in this country and every other country around the world?

Tough call isn't it?lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Guest LondonOwl313
Just now, prowl said:

Hmm, let's see, do i take advice from a random Owlstalk poster on how to deal with covid or all the senior epidemiologists, virologists and medical experts in this country and every other country around the world?

Tough call isn't it?lol

Yeah very tough.. all those experts advised the government to leave the borders open in January. This random owlstalk poster advocated the New Zealand approach.. so glad we didn’t listen and wouldn’t swap our position for theirs 

36 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Because a large number of our posters are over 60 so they have nothing more to worry about than avoiding COVID and getting their pension through.

For those of us with livelihoods, social

lives, a dependence on a thriving economy to succeed this is a living nightmare for something that has a 0.5% death rate overall. The lockdown is definitely worse than the alternative of letting it pass through the population until it dies out

Once again... Sweden did that, have you seen them now? IT DOESN'T WORK. Im under 60, but ill stay at home to save 1000 people a day dying. Before this, if 12 people died at once in a car pile up it was a massive tragedy - 1000 people are going per day - wise up. 

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, Daizan10 said:

Once again... Sweden did that, have you seen them now? IT DOESN'T WORK. Im under 60, but ill stay at home to save 1000 people a day dying. Before this, if 12 people died at once in a car pile up it was a massive tragedy - 1000 people are going per day - wise up. 

1000 sounds a lot but it’s 1000 out of 65 million. 

I don’t get your point on Sweden because they have fewer cases and deaths than we’ve had per capita, and your point seems to be that we can’t do what they’re doing because they’re somehow in a worse position 

New Zealand - UK

4.5m v 65m

One is not a massive transport hub, one is.

One has 0.5m foreign students in uni.

One has 30,000 foreign students in uni.

One has 7m foreign visitors per year

One has 0.25m foreign visitors per year.

One has 1000 people per square mile

One has 50 people per square mile.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sherlyegg said:

New Zealand - UK

4.5m v 65m

One instigated a  strict lockdown v one that did not and still fails to do so

• Like 3

I read earlier that the UK's death total for today is higher than the total amount of deaths in Australia. 

Yep, we had more deaths in 24 hours than Australia has had throughout the whole pandemic. 

• Thanks 1

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, sherlyegg said:

New Zealand - UK

4.5m v 65m

Those numbers aren’t the main differential though. The main difference is that one closed the borders prior to any community transmission taking place and had a strict lockdown to ensure the virus died out, then enforced draconian border controls and as a result had only 25 deaths.

The other one started with a strategy that said we should live alongside the virus and left the borders open, then community transmission took hold and they changed tack to lockdowns infinitum. Now we have no life and 1000+ deaths a day, they couldn’t have managed it worse if they’d tried. Yet people think our advisors are worth listening to, its beyond me  

43 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Some good points mate.. but my main fear is point A. It’s already been said that the South African variant might not be prevented by the current vaccine. The virus will keep mutating as that’s what they do. It’s ok saying well we tweak the vaccine but it’s all about timescales. It’s two months now since the vaccines were announced and more than 95% of people haven’t had it yet. We can’t move quickly enough as the R number is too high.

If you say to me we have to stay at home for 3 months more and then it goes, then fine. I’ll accept my business being crushed, having no life etc. But if this is going to be something we just have to live with long term, I don’t think it’s worth it

The Vaccine will work.  That's what vaccines do.

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

Those numbers aren’t the main differential though. The main difference is that one closed the borders prior to any community transmission taking place and had a strict lockdown to ensure the virus died out, then enforced draconian border controls and as a result had only 25 deaths.

The other one started with a strategy that said we should live alongside the virus and left the borders open, then community transmission took hold and they changed tack to lockdowns infinitum. Now we have no life and 1000+ deaths a day, they couldn’t have managed it worse if they’d tried. Yet people think our advisors are worth listening to, its beyond me  

The main difference is, it's a whole lot easier to do in new zealand than here...

No covididiots / no anti lockdown idiots in new zealand either

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

1000 sounds a lot but it’s 1000 out of 65 million. 

I don’t get your point on Sweden because they have fewer cases and deaths than we’ve had per capita, and your point seems to be that we can’t do what they’re doing because they’re somehow in a worse position 

We have a car crash government who send kids back to school for one day, and haven't made a single statement without contradicting it a few days later. Other countries who didn't let it run wild, and aren't run by idiots are doing far better. Sweden's monarch, who sits there and shuts up normally, criticised the approach and accused them of sacrificing all the old people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I read earlier that the UK's death total for today is higher than the total amount of deaths in Australia. 

Yep, we had more deaths in 24 hours than Australia has had throughout the whole pandemic. 

Go on then, compare London to Christchurch.    Birmingham to Hamilton, or even Paige hall in Sheffield to a big town in New Zealand.

Guest LondonOwl313
2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

The Vaccine will work.  That's what vaccines do.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/south-african-sars-cov-2-variant-alarms-scientists-68317/amp

This virus will likely adapt quicker than we can react, tweak the vaccine, distribute and inoculate. We had barely any cases last January and 6 weeks later we were overran.

The government is obviously going to push this as a solution because they want to keep morale from imploding yet it might not work.  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/south-african-sars-cov-2-variant-alarms-scientists-68317/amp

This virus will likely adapt quicker than we can react, tweak the vaccine, distribute and inoculate. We had barely any cases last January and 6 weeks later we were overran.

The government is obviously going to push this as a solution because they want to keep morale from imploding yet it might not work.  

Why don't you use that crystal ball to win the lottery and then you can live in a bubble and do what you like anyway? Or, rather than assume the worst, not risk people lives on a chance its all going to go ******** up anyway. 

41 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Some good points mate.. but my main fear is point A. It’s already been said that the South African variant might not be prevented by the current vaccine. The virus will keep mutating as that’s what they do. It’s ok saying well we tweak the vaccine but it’s all about timescales. It’s two months now since the vaccines were announced and more than 95% of people haven’t had it yet. We can’t move quickly enough as the R number is too high.

If you say to me we have to stay at home for 3 months more and then it goes, then fine. I’ll accept my business being crushed, having no life etc. But if this is going to be something we just have to live with long term, I don’t think it’s worth it

Thanks for engaging properly. I do understand where you are coming from now you've laid it out in more detail. Regarding point A the tweaks should take about 6 weeks. So you're not wrong that it could get rocky(rockier) if that (The SA variant being more resistant) was to be the case, but if we get on top of it before we get a variant that takes a major tweak we'll be ok.

Its true though that in that respect we are in the lap of the gods somewhat - however that's all the more reason to really push through with the lockdown now. If cases are low enough that we are living a normalish life when/if it mutates into something current vaccines can't deal with we'll be in a much better position to be able to continue normal life at that point whilst they adjust the vaccine. 

Anyhow thanks again for explaining your position in more detail and good luck with your business (I'm in the same position there). 

• Like 1

For the third and last time the Vaccines will work that's what they do.  Stop worrying 

• Like 1