The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

13 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Im of the mind we're probably looking at a couple of last minute loan deals in on deadline day. 

Or we've decided to just promote under 23's when and where needed, cross fingers, toes and hope they can step up. 

I worry that the excuse for not signing players is the new manager, then when the new manager comes in the excuse will be the manager needs time to check the squad. Then come the end of the season and we get relegated and the excuse, will be its the fans fault for not buying the 1867 tickets. :duntmatter:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

I worry that the excuse for not signing players is the new manager, then when the new manager comes in the excuse will be the manager needs time to check the squad. Then come the end of the season and we get relegated and the excuse, will be its the fans fault for not buying the 1867 tickets. :duntmatter:

Dc really does remind me of my ex missus, they both lurch from one clusterfk decision to the next without any rational thought of consequences of their actions. Then blame everyone and everything else around when it goes breasticles up.

One of the inherent traits of a spoilt child. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Fans NEVER stop clamouring for new players, no matter what a club's position or circumstances might be.

But the signs all point to significant financial issues at Wednesday for quite a while; going back even before the Covid-19 situation. Our need for reinforcements is obvious, but we're struggling to meet the commitments we already have, never mind taking on new ones. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wilyfox said:

I want Jordan Jones, but not at the expense of Reach. We’ve finally got him back in form. He’s an important player. That said, if Reach has indicated he won’t agree a new contract...we may be wise to deal.

I'd hope not I've very little faith in signings from the Scottish leagues, especially if they've never played down here. 

It's been a very long time since players like gough, fletcher and hendry came down to England and played well. 

Super stars like Barry fergusen and Miller didn't exactly make a good mark. 

Yes there's always the odd exception you can hope for like the lad Robertson, but in general the overall weakness of the top division and lack of true quality outside 2/3 clubs over the last decade generally means players like stevie may who look world beaters up in Scottish prem look very ordinary in the championship. 

1 hour ago, shezzas left peg said:

I'd hope not I've very little faith in signings from the Scottish leagues, especially if they've never played down here. 

It's been a very long time since players like gough, fletcher and hendry came down to England and played well. 

Super stars like Barry fergusen and Miller didn't exactly make a good mark. 

Yes there's always the odd exception you can hope for like the lad Robertson, but in general the overall weakness of the top division and lack of true quality outside 2/3 clubs over the last decade generally means players like stevie may who look world beaters up in Scottish prem look very ordinary in the championship. 

Nonsense.

Makes no sense to say that you wouldn't want signings from any particular football league. SPL is not as strong as it once was, but is decent level of football with pace and physicality of the game similar to those of Championship.

There are plenty of good players there that would improve our side a lot. 

3 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Rhodes did originally come here on loan. But the feeling was that the final purchase was part of that deal and we could not shirk this commitment when the time came. 

Yeah he did because the loan was easier to sort on the deadline or close to the deadline. But ideally a straight loan would’ve been best and got it out the fans system 

18 minutes ago, malek said:

Nonsense.

Makes no sense to say that you wouldn't want signings from any particular football league. SPL is not as strong as it once was, but is decent level of football with pace and physicality of the game similar to those of Championship.

There are plenty of good players there that would improve our side a lot. 

As I said I'm just very unsure on the standard of players outside the top three. The gulf in class is huge, as is very telling due to the massive difference in points tallys at the end of every season. Add to that anybody at a good standard ends up being signed by the two big guns up there that can afford big salaries and transfer fees. 

Didn't hull spend about £3 mil on Robertson?, by the sounds of it we're struggling to fund £300k.

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

Fans want the better players such as Messi and Ronaldo to sign, but if the chairman then goes out and signs them, the blame is not the fans when the signing go sour. That's a bit of a cop out for the chairman.

It is up to the bloke in charge to make sure the club operates within a budget and also does not break any rule to achieve the goals he sets, if he cannot do this then get someone in who can, or sell up to someone who can manage and run a football team.

I would hope that 1. 2, 3 year and further forward budgets are in place of what the club needs to do to prevent the breaking of the rules, yes Co-Vid will have an effect on income but being able to show what income has been lost, is part of the calculation within the account.

Co-Vid though does not affect the 2018 accounts that were filed with the stadium sale, it also does not affect the 2019 account which are 6 months overdue with a 3 month extension on.

Yes I agree, we were told we were working within FFP and do not swim in a golden pool. We did have a legitimate way of getting around it, just ask Derby, but the execution was too late which is the difficult thing to take.

But in that context we could “afford” rhodes et al within this ridiculous paper exercise as long as we sold the stadium on time (if we couldn’t truly afford these players we’d be in admin) So the latter was a balls up that is difficult to forgive. But it’s not the chairmans fault if the player doesn’t perform and it’s a bit rich of a fanbase who largely clamoured for him asking why we even looked at him in footballing terms.

21 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Yes I agree, we were told we were working within FFP and do not swim in a golden pool. We did have a legitimate way of getting around it, just ask Derby, but the execution was too late which is the difficult thing to take.

But in that context we could “afford” rhodes et al within this ridiculous paper exercise as long as we sold the stadium on time (if we couldn’t truly afford these players we’d be in admin) So the latter was a balls up that is difficult to forgive. But it’s not the chairmans fault if the player doesn’t perform and it’s a bit rich of a fanbase who largely clamoured for him asking why we even looked at him in footballing terms.

We signed Winnall a few weeks earlier who was a lot cheaper scoring goals and at the time better, for me the Jordan Rhodes signing was always a strange one. We have had a knack of signing players a few years late over the years. But to pay so much for a player that had barely played for 18 months was a very strange decision then to give him a 4 year deal on so much. The deal and the wages will end up costing us in the region of £20m, which if stupid.

But the Rhodes deal was not a one off Fletcher, Abdi, Matias all signed on silly long deals and weages, Urby what a waste he was, Sougou, then the list of failed loan players the list goes on. You take out the team assembled the first season by Glenn Roeder Fessi, Hunt, Pudil, Lopez, Bannan, Wallace. Then recruit by DC, his advisors and his numerous people since has been completely useless.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

We signed Winnall a few weeks earlier who was a lot cheaper scoring goals and at the time better, for me the Jordan Rhodes signing was always a strange one. We have had a knack of signing players a few years late over the years. But to pay so much for a player that had barely played for 18 months was a very strange decision then to give him a 4 year deal on so much. The deal and the wages will end up costing us in the region of £20m, which if stupid.

But the Rhodes deal was not a one off Fletcher, Abdi, Matias all signed on silly long deals and weages, Urby what a waste he was, Sougou, then the list of failed loan players the list goes on. You take out the team assembled the first season by Glenn Roeder Fessi, Hunt, Pudil, Lopez, Bannan, Wallace. Then recruit by DC, his advisors and his numerous people since has been completely useless.

I think Bannan, Forestieri and Pudil came in after the intial bout of signings and after the transfer committee did one. We had signed Wallace, Matias, Joao, Wiggins, Lachman Lopez, Mcgugan and co before that under the committee with mixed results.

A big part of the issue was signing players that Carvalhal didn’t use. Particularly mcgeady, Emmanuelson Buckley etc. But had we done the business we wouldn’t be having the conversation and we nearly did. 

The two tipping points were being unable to sell key assets, particularly FF with his Mansfield issue and the late stadium sale. 

The difference between now and a few years ago is we had a solid base of quality players, who could carry a few weaker players but also the lack of balance wasn't as much of an issue due to the fact we had some quality players at the top of their game. 

Now however, we're both unbalanced and have very few players of quality. The likes of Westwood, Loovens paired with Lees, Pudil, Bannan, Lee, Wallace, Forestieri and Hooper could all carry a poorer player or two in the starting 11, but now, every signing is so important as we lack quality. 

All this confounded by the fact a few years ago we could afford mistakes like Abdi and Urby, now we can't afford any mistakes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

Dom saying he doesn't expect  any signing until the last thing in the transfer window

Dom also said he knew nothing about Kachunga just rumours. 1 hour or so later he signs. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

Dom saying he doesn't expect  any signing until the last thing in the transfer window

pretty obvious statement given we may not get a new manager until maybe 7-10 day before the window shuts.

In that sense I am glad we got through to the next round of the cup as it means we don't waste another league game before the last minute signings coming in

41 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

just absolutely shocking forward planning yet again from the club. We have known all season we needed players signing, especially up top and yet again it looks like a last minute job. Players should have been ready to be signed in the first few days of the window opening. 

• Like 1