Rooney claimed it was a penalty- it wasn’t...

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Dude, if there was VAR it would have 100% been a penalty. The rules suck but it WAS handball.

It wasn’t handball. If you look at Harris, his arm is in a natural position. If you have played football at any level you will know this. Try moving towards something and moving side to side vigorously - maybe like you’re doing aerobics. You will find that your arms naturally take the position that Harris’s did. What is he supposed to do? Run around with his hands and arms flat to his body? 

3 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Dude, if there was VAR it would have 100% been a penalty. The rules suck but it WAS handball.

Agree, I was waiting for the ref to blow. If it was the other way round I'm guessing I wouldn't have been the only one screaming at the TV and letting out a few swear words. 

Guest mrbluesky
8 minutes ago, OzOwl said:

There is always someone who sees the game differently, I think I will back the Ref on this one, he knows the rules.

WHHHHHHOSSSH!!!

If that was in the PL, it’s a pen unfortunately. The rules are w##k but that gets given. No way should it be a pen tho. Common sense finally come into play this time. When a ball gets smashed at you from 5 yards and it hits your hand.. what the hell are you meant to do. I mean, How does giving a penalty l ( where 9/10 you will score from it) make it fair when it was a hopeful cross into the box that would more than likely be cleared away Comfortably by our player 😂  the rules are a joke 

• Like 1

Guest mrbluesky
Just now, OzOwl said:

Oh sorry, when you said it was a penalty you meant it wasn’t.

My bad 😆

Double WHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOSSSEE!

1 hour ago, Derbyshireowl3 said:

If that was in the PL, it’s a pen unfortunately. The rules are w##k but that gets given. No way should it be a pen tho. Common sense finally come into play this time. When a ball gets smashed at you from 5 yards and it hits your hand.. what the hell are you meant to do. I mean, How does giving a penalty l ( where 9/10 you will score from it) make it fair when it was a hopeful cross into the box that would more than likely be cleared away Comfortably by our player 😂  the rules are a joke 

Dead right. How is a player trying to gain an advantage by the ball hitting him? A penalty used to only be given for deliberately denying a scoring opportunity by foul means. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

2 hours ago, JOCOWl said:

Agree, I was waiting for the ref to blow. If it was the other way round I'm guessing I wouldn't have been the only one screaming at the TV and letting out a few swear words. 

1 hour ago, Derbyshireowl3 said:

See here the criteria for handball where if any single one of them occurs, it results in a handball

- The hand/arm is clearly away from the body and outside the "body line".

- The player clearly leans into the path of the ball.

- The ball travels some distance.

- The ball touches a hand/arm that is clearly raised above the shoulder.

- The player falls and the hand/arm is extended laterally or vertically away from the body.

- A deflection clearly makes no difference to the ball touching a hand/arm that is clearly extended away from the body and/or above the shoulder.

- Immediately after touching the ball with the arm, even accidentally, the player scores a goal or creates a goal-scoring opportunity

None of the above occurred for the penalty incident last night.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, shandypants said:

See here the criteria for handball where if any single one of them occurs, it results in a handball

- The hand/arm is clearly away from the body and outside the "body line".

- The player clearly leans into the path of the ball.

- The ball travels some distance.

- The ball touches a hand/arm that is clearly raised above the shoulder.

- The player falls and the hand/arm is extended laterally or vertically away from the body.

- A deflection clearly makes no difference to the ball touching a hand/arm that is clearly extended away from the body and/or above the shoulder.

- Immediately after touching the ball with the arm, even accidentally, the player scores a goal or creates a goal-scoring opportunity

None of the above occurred for the penalty incident last night.  

Watching the game live and it happens the other way I'd have been out of my chair screaming for a pen and fuming had we not got it....irrespective of the description posted I've seen softer ones given and 100% had VAR been involved.... Fortunately though it wasn't and we have 3 points and can now push for the play offs.... 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
7 hours ago, shandypants said:

It wasn’t handball. If you look at Harris, his arm is in a natural position. If you have played football at any level you will know this. Try moving towards something and moving side to side vigorously - maybe like you’re doing aerobics. You will find that your arms naturally take the position that Harris’s did. What is he supposed to do? Run around with his hands and arms flat to his body? 

I’m not sure you’re understanding my point. I don’t think it was handball either but with VAR far worse ones have been given as penalties this season. Even the fourth official told Rooney it was a penalty. Regardless of rules which people keep telling me, and I referee myself so I know, I’m sure it would have been given.

56 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I’m not sure you’re understanding my point. I don’t think it was handball either but with VAR far worse ones have been given as penalties this season. Even the fourth official told Rooney it was a penalty. Regardless of rules which people keep telling me, and I referee myself so I know, I’m sure it would have been given.

That's fair enough but you didn't make yourself clear.  You said (and I quote) "Dude, if there was VAR it would have 100% been a penalty. The rules suck but it WAS handball".  That to me appears that you are saying that the rules state it was a penalty when you say "The rules suck...".  

10 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

3 or 4 months ago maybe not so sure now 

No way was it a pen 

Hammered at him from about a yard away Harris had no idea where the ball was or where it went and his arm wasn't in an unnatural position ( whatever that means ) 

The only people on the Sky Broadcast, who lets be honest were so pro Derby it was embarrassing, who thought it was were Keith Andrew and Wayne Rooney, none of the in studio pundits, even the Derby employee, thought it should have been a pen 

Blatant handball - according to the BBC sports journalist who wrote their match report. Absolute tool. Oh and he titled his piece "Derby beaten by Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough" so automatically shows his report is about Derby. I could accept that if they were top of the league but last time I looked they were in the bottom 3.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ANDY said:

A couple of occasions he could have let us play advantage but pulled it back for a free kick. 

apart from that he was ok. 

As always it's open to opinion.

There was one time a Wednesday player was fouled on the right wing and was down, the ball ran to someone else (maybe Harris) who was now isolated on the wing covered by derby players. A commentator said the ref could've played advantage there but I think we were at a disadvantage because of the player down and Harris not having many options, and the ref stopped play.

If there was a foul but all players remained in play, it would probably have been better to play advantage.

My point is it's not always as simple as having the ball means the best call is to play advantage...