It's not over yet folks

1 minute ago, Plonk said:

A position of strength. Fooook me. Bottom of the league with a shocking squad bereft of even one decent striker. If that’s a position of strength I’m the the foooking queen mother. 

We were doing enough (just) to stay up

We had the fifth best defence in the championship (no mean feat)
We were getting the odd win

How's it gone since Monk left?

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Will be an easy victory V notts forest.

we slaughtered them last season under Monk and they are much worse this season.

This is true

If Monk can batter them then Pulis should demolish them without even thinking about it

Could (and should) be the first time we've scored five or six goals in a long time!

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, Lupoli said:

If my Aunty was a bloke, she’d be my uncle. 

The fact is, he hasn’t won one of those games and doesn’t look like doing so.

Give him time

He's already said he just needs some luck and that he doesn't know the squad yet so doesn't know who to pick to play

Once he's sorted those out we'll be away and laughing

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

This is true

If Monk can batter them then Pulis should demolish them without even thinking about it

Could (and should) be the first time we've scored five or six goals in a long time!

The great news is that 8 out of the 11 players who started that goalfest last season are fit and available for selection!

if poor Dom iorfa hadn’t got injured it would be 9!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

Its not over 

I remain optimistic

Then the game kicks off

Unfortunately having watched football for years you can smell a club that will get relegated. This one from the owner downwards is like a 300 day old French cheese

Think you've summed it up there, we have the DNA of a team heading for relegation.

Can't score goals.

Confidence low.

No settled system.

The big worry for me is the gap between us and the teams I expect to be in the mix at the end of the season. I don't think Forest and Derby will still be down there, so I'm looking at Wycombe, Rotherham and QPR and Coventry.

QPR are nine pointa above us. Above that, there's a further three point gap to Coventry. I think Cov, QPR, Wycombe, Rotherham and us will be the bottom five at the end of the season

COVENTRY        21

QPR                    18

ROTHERHAM    16

WYCOMBE         11

WEDNESDAY      9

!I know some will say you can't discard Derby and Forest but I honestly think they'll pull clear and these are the teams we're competing against.

It's looking very bleak, and only a big slice of luck and a couple of inspired signings in the next month can save us now.

15/12 Forest (A)

19/12 Coventry (H)

26/12 Blackburn (A)

29/12 Boro (H)

02/01 Derby (H)

16/01 Coventry (A)

19/01 Wycombe (H)

23/01 Bournemouth (A)

30/01 Preston (H)

9 games between now and the end of the transfer window

27 MORE points for Pulis to go for after the 21 he's just had

That will be 48 points available from the games he has had 

All he has to do to get those points is to man manage the players he has got, build a formation and strategy around them and then when he can strengthen with new players of his preferred 'type' he can then put his strategy and formation in place and finish the season off with a flourish!

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, fatzooma said:

Unfortunately, a lot of our supporters believe it is over and seem happy to be able to say ‘ I told you so’.. Major flouncing going on.

its only a game! Relax

Relax.... re friggin lax.... That’s what the drummer of the band on the Titanic said to the pianist as the ship lurched to 45 degree list.

I could be talked down from the parapet of the tall building but relax ? Don’t think so.

57 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah but Pulis will have had 99 points to play for between arriving here and the end of this season

Ninety Nine

Think about that for a second - nearly a hundred points Pulis will have had to play for in his time here this season!

There's no way he can fail when you look at how poor the bottom sides are, the fact that we're only four points away from safety (thanks purely to Monk setting us up defensively and doing so well this season before he was dismissed) despite a 6 point deduction!

That shows how bad these teams are around the bottom

They really should be easy wins against those sides 

Meaning we should be safe 

It's up to Pulis now

Love your optimism. 21 of his 99 have gone and delivered just 3, pro-rata means 14 out of 99, so a hell of an improvement required. 

There's nothing filling anyone with confidence at the moment that this is going to happen anytime soon so fingers crossed for a successful January. You hit the nail on the head that some of these should be easy wins, problem is we've already lost some of these easy ones so they're gone and can't get them back. 

Really hope you're right and I'm wrong. 

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-12-13 at 09.10.28.jpg

One of them right there smiling and scoring overhead kicks.

less than a year ago !

8 of that team still good to go next week. Only missing fox, fletcher and iorfa but the other 8 heroes from that day ready to roll !! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JOCOWl said:

Love your optimism. 21 of his 99 have gone and delivered just 3, pro-rata means 14 out of 99, so a hell of an improvement required. 

There's nothing filling anyone with confidence at the moment that this is going to happen anytime soon so fingers crossed for a successful January. You hit the nail on the head that some of these should be easy wins, problem is we've already lost some of these easy ones so they're gone and can't get them back. 

Really hope you're right and I'm wrong. 

Pulis guarantees safety. No need to stress out. 

16 hours ago, BIG D said:

Not giving up yet you big girls. Going to need some ambition on Jan 1 though. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-12-13 at 07.35.49.jpg

It's not over yet folks

Remarkably even though we've been doing so horrifically bad (especially in the recent games) this division is so poor that despite our form, and despite us having six points taken off us, thanks to the work that Garry Monk did in pulling those points back we still remain only 4 points away from safety!

So there's everything still to play for and more than enough games to get to safety

So for those saying Pulis needs time - he's had/got plenty of time. He's got so many games between when he walked into the club and the end of the season a manager of his calibre should have no problems at all pulling us out of this mess.

For those saying we won't recover just take a look at the league table. Just four points between us an Nottingham Forest - and thanks to Garry Monk who had us as the fifth best defence in the division our goal average is better than the teams above us.

So it's all on Pulis now.

He has the same squad Monk was doing ok with

He has more than enough time to get to know his squad, instill his ethics, his style, his tactics

He has a transfer window to do business in even.

It's 100% all on Tony Pulis and a manager of his calibre (and wages) should be able to pull this off with ease.

Just four points away from safety!

And think about this also

From arriving at Sheffield Wednesday to the end of this season Tony Pulis will have had 33 games in total, and a possible 99 points to play for.

It's not over yet folks

Love the post, it has everything.  Tongue in cheek, sarcastic, passive aggressive backing of TP yet weirdly true and spot on.  Mathematically survival is still on.

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

15/12 Forest (A)

19/12 Coventry (H)

26/12 Blackburn (A)

29/12 Boro (H)

02/01 Derby (H)

16/01 Coventry (A)

19/01 Wycombe (H)

23/01 Bournemouth (A)

30/01 Preston (H)

9 games between now and the end of the transfer window

27 MORE points for Pulis to go for after the 21 he's just had

That will be 48 points available from the games he has had 

All he has to do to get those points is to man manage the players he has got, build a formation and strategy around them and then when he can strengthen with new players of his preferred 'type' he can then put his strategy and formation in place and finish the season off with a flourish!

Apologies, I'm sounding really negative this morning.... The run of 9 includes forest, Coventry x2 and Wycombe meaning by the time he gets some of his own players in we have already played a couple of the "easier" teams twice in Coventry and wycombe. Need minimum 15-17 points out of those games. That would but us half way to safety with more than half the season gone. 

Just now, JOCOWl said:

Apologies, I'm sounding really negative this morning.... The run of 9 includes forest, Coventry x2 and Wycombe meaning by the time he gets some of his own players in we have already played a couple of the "easier" teams twice in Coventry and wycombe. Need minimum 15-17 points out of those games. 

That's fine then - just do that!

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, A12owl said:

And players willing to join a club in our predicament. It will certainly prove or disprove the power of Pulis's influence on players. 

Pulis is a very experienced manager with a reputation for never being relegated

He'll attract players here - no problem whatsoever

Owlstalk Shop

23 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Think you've summed it up there, we have the DNA of a team heading for relegation.

Can't score goals.

Confidence low.

No settled system.

The big worry for me is the gap between us and the teams I expect to be in the mix at the end of the season. I don't think Forest and Derby will still be down there, so I'm looking at Wycombe, Rotherham and QPR and Coventry.

QPR are nine pointa above us. Above that, there's a further three point gap to Coventry. I think Cov, QPR, Wycombe, Rotherham and us will be the bottom five at the end of the season

COVENTRY        21

QPR                    18

ROTHERHAM    16

WYCOMBE         11

WEDNESDAY      9

!I know some will say you can't discard Derby and Forest but I honestly think they'll pull clear and these are the teams we're competing against.

It's looking very bleak, and only a big slice of luck and a couple of inspired signings in the next month can save us now.

Seen it a few times below, I hope I am wrong but I am not seeing anything that thinks I will be. 

Not sure I can really explain it, but it usually starts with a gradual decline, player dis-satisfaction, managers change but nothing really changes, but most of all a lack of identity as to what we are attempting. 

Our attacking play is non existent at a team level.

Only a team in crisis can appear to be outnumbered up front, in midfield and in defence as the ball switches halves