Have we been playing beautiful football for the last 20 years? Have I missed something?

1 minute ago, shandypants said:

Many of the replies on here prove my point.  People are expecting a marked difference already.  A new manager needs time to bed in.  If its still bad after a reasonable time then let's push to change things but it's too early to start criticising.  I don't want to watch boring football but I also realise that every manager needs time to establish their style.  Pulis has had four games for heaven's sake - cut the man some slack.  

First of all, appointing Monk was clearly a mistake, so how long do you give a manager? If a manager is not working, and you keep giving him another window, when you do decide to make the change, you are stuck with players you don’t want. In my opinion, Pulis is also a poor appointment, and nothing I’ve seen so far has changed my mind. Unless he starts stringing some wins together, I wouldn’t let him spent a penny in January. 

If a team is playing well and meeting expectations then I think 90% of the fan base would be happy, regardless of playing style. 

We could win 1-0 every week and stick 10 men on the line most of the game, wouldn't care one bit.

Might be going against the grain somewhat with this as well, but watching great defensive work and a gutsy performance is equally as satisfying as watching exciting attacking play. 

1 minute ago, CalmJimmers said:

If a team is playing well and meeting expectations then I think 90% of the fan base would be happy, regardless of playing style. 

We could win 1-0 every week and stick 10 men on the line most of the game, wouldn't care one bit.

Might be going against the grain somewhat with this as well, but watching great defensive work and a gutsy performance is equally as satisfying as watching exciting attacking play. 

But that’s not going to happen. No team puts 10 men behind the ball and wins most games. As it stands we currently create one goalscoring chance a game this season. That means the only chance you have of winning is a 1-0 and there’s only so many times you’re going to keep a clean sheet when the opposition have 60-70% possession.

Your point on gutsy defending is valid however as a one off. Do you really want to watch your team fight to lose 1-0, draw 0-0 every week because that’s what you’re going to get. 

• Like 1

It’s funny when some say, do you expect us to play like Barcelona, perceiving it to be the apex of the beautiful game. Whether it is, or it isn’t, it’s such an outlandish suggestion, but do they realise that playing the Pulis way is the polar opposite of the beautiful game. Most of us don’t expect us to be playing at either of those extremes, somewhere in the middle will do

• Like 1

I must be a strange animal because I’ve not found us awful to watch at all the last 4 matches.

Highly organised and working our balls off - I like it.

without the two early sendings off - which were beyond the managers control - I’m sure we’d have got a better points return too.

A very tough match against Norwich, then we have a run of matches where the same level of organisation and work rate will see some wins and everybody will calm down.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

But that’s not going to happen. No team puts 10 men behind the ball and wins most games. As it stands we currently create one goalscoring chance a game this season. That means the only chance you have of winning is a 1-0 and there’s only so many times you’re going to keep a clean sheet when the opposition have 60-70% possession.

Your point on gutsy defending is valid however as a one off. Do you really want to watch your team fight to lose 1-0, draw 0-0 every week because that’s what you’re going to get. 

Fair points, but what I'm getting at is as long as a team is successful I really don't think fans care what the system is. 

I don't think Chelsea or Inter fans were complaining when Mourinho was winning domestic and European trophies whilst playing boring football, and I remember my mate saying when United had David Weir they played some great football but got beat every week. 

I want my team to be successful, I don't care what system that is under. 

1 hour ago, northeastowl said:

If you completely ignore his reputation the football he has played so far with us has been utter paint drying rubbish. If it was hoofball, direct attacking football I wouldn’t mind but it’s 11 men behind the ball. Even the commentator last night after 6 minutes had gone said it’s clear to see Sheffield Wednesday are going to sit back and let Reading attack them. 

If you’re happy with paying the highest prices in the league (when we’re allowed back in) to watch it then that’s fair enough. I for one though expect more. 

At the minute we’ve got a team that works hard which is the bare minimum a football team should do. We’ve no intention of playing any football. 

1st half at Swansea says different. 

1 minute ago, ******** said:

1st half at Swansea says different. 

quoting my own post here. 2 of the games weve had men sent off early. Hardly allowing for free flowing football with 10 men against decent sides as well tbf is it.  We were good 1st half vs swansea and inevitably they were gonna come strong at us 2nd half. I dont think its as bad as people are making out. Certainly not going to judge pulis right now based on 4 games and none of his own players in

2 minutes ago, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

So your judging on 4 games with many injuries and a few decent opersition.  

Nope

I'm saying Monk was doing better when he was sacked than Pulis has managed since he arrived

As for your 'decent opposition' or 'many injuries' - Garry Monk wasn't allowed those excuses so let's be fair and not allow it for Pulis either

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, northeastowl said:

If you’re happy with paying the highest prices in the league (when we’re allowed back in) to watch it then that’s fair enough. I for one though expect more. 

At what point will you admit that that ship has sailed? Given our current circumstances, the only agenda should be stopping up and staying in this division. If that means playing dire football, you should support it, because it supports our immediate mission. 

And for the sake of argument, this season nobody has been "paying the highest prices" in the league, have they? So if there was ever going to be a season to play rubbish football, this was going to be the one. Be glad. 

Edited by bobness

The first half against Swansea was some of the best football we've played since Carlos was here.

That gives me hope

It's clear that Pulis has experience, and has a plan.

That gives me hope

We're going into a run of games where we'll have more opportunities to pick up points than we have

That gives me hope

We're going into the JTW and Pulis has quickly seen where we're short

That gives me hope

We don't have a lot to shout about right now, but I do think we have some things we can be hopeful about.

If that doesn't work then at least we have confirmation that it's the hope that kills you.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, shandypants said:

Some people are already complaining - that is ridiculous.  I feel that Pulis' reputation for negative football (whether valid or not) is already clouding some people's judgement and reason.  Pulis' games thus far haven't been that entertaining but we were hardly playing beautiful football immediately prior to Pulis joining nor have we played beautiful football for many a year.  

I dont feel like its clouding my judgement. I knew exactly  to expect when Pulis joined and he is delivering exactly what I thought he would.

Whether that is a good thing or not, is of course down to individual opinion.