The Nations League

Can somebody please tell me what the point of this is?

Why do England need to play 3 games in a week during a global pandemic and an already congested fixture list?

Why are we treating international football like a domestic competition now?

Does anybody actually care about it or understand it?

What was wrong with simple qualification and then excitement leading up to the Euros or World Cup? Why add another competition to the mix?

Please tell me I’m not the only one who hates it and thinks it’s pointless.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Can somebody please tell me what the point of this is?

Why do England need to play 3 games in a week during a global pandemic and an already congested fixture list?

Why are we treating international football like a domestic competition now?

Does anybody actually care about it or understand it?

What was wrong with simple qualification and then excitement leading up to the Euros or World Cup? Why add another competition to the mix?

Please tell me I’m not the only one who hates it and thinks it’s pointless.

Here are my thoughts on it. I don't know everything about it, so could be wrong ect.

I don't like it and don't kinda get it/think it's over complicated.

I like that something as replaced meaningless friendlies, but it could have been a lot better.

It just feels like it's been created for more money.

I don't get why some groups have different amount of teams.

I don't like that teams can qualify for the Euros. What's the point of qualification, when you can fail and still qualify another way. 

I think it's taking away the build up ect. from the Euros and World Cup as it's nations league, nations league, Euros, nations league, nations league, World Cup, nations league ect.

Didn't the rules change because Germany got relegated?

Finally, it's basically just the Europa League and the Euros is the Champions League.

Talking about the Euros, I'm not even looking forward to the next one. As it's in different cities around Europe and certain teams get home advantage, like with England playing all 3 group games at Wembley. I prefer the whole 1 or 2 country feel/theme myself. Also with the possibility of no/hardly any fans, it's gonna be crap.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Incognito Owl said:

Here are my thoughts on it. I don't know everything about it, so could be wrong ect.

I don't like it and don't kinda get it/think it's over complicated.

I like that something as replaced meaningless friendlies, but it could have been a lot better.

It just feels like it's been created for more money.

I don't get why some groups have different amount of teams.

I don't like that teams can qualify for the Euros. What's the point of qualification, when you can fail and still qualify another way. 

I think it's taking away the build up ect. from the Euros and World Cup as it's nations league, nations league, Euros, nations league, nations league, World Cup, nations league ect.

Didn't the rules change because Germany got relegated?

Finally, it's basically just the Europa League and the Euros is the Champions League.

Talking about the Euros, I'm not even looking forward to the next one. As it's in different cities around Europe and certain teams get home advantage, like with England playing all 3 group games at Wembley. I prefer the whole 1 or 2 country feel/theme myself. Also with the possibility of no/hardly any fans, it's gonna be crap.

Agree with this. I personally think it takes the excitement away from the build-up to the Euros. By having another competitive tournament in between World Cups and Euros, I think when those tournaments come around they won’t feel as special 

• Like 1

Don't get it.

It's replaced friendlies with a  tournament that no-one really understands.

Friendlies were used for experimenting with teams/players but became glorified kick-abouts

However, there seems to a massive out-pouring of grief and condemnation now England are out. But it's just friendlies?

Seems pointless to me

• Like 1

When we got to the finals last year it just had a friendly feel to it just like when we competed in Le Tournoi in 97. Still get excited for the euros or world cup just hope fans can attend next summer.

Although I'm chuffed to bits for Scotland qualifying for the euros it doesn't seem right that you can be so poor in qualifying but then get through by scraping past Israel and Serbia on penalties. 

• Like 1

Never liked the first Nations League and dislike it even more now, seems ridiculous and poorly thought out having so many extra international games on top of a shortened pre-season and congested domestic season. The authorities don't give a poo about fans, history or tradition, they just care about TV and money. 

• Like 1

The World Cup/qualifying is being ruined with it now: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55001369 It's bad enough that it has play offs now and the finals are gonna be played at a different time for the first time. The Euros and World Cup are being ruined in my opinion, aren't more teams being added to the World Cup finals too? 

Doesn’t really offend me.

We played 3 games in a week because of the idiots at the FA arranging a friendly, nothing to do with the Nations League.

It puts teams up against others of similar ability, makes games more interesting IMO.

id rather watch England V Spain than, England V Andorra for example. 

I don’t think it should have links to qualification for any other tournament.

We all know it’s not a major competition, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone complain we got knocked out, the complaints are solely about Southgate and, Southgate alone.

• Thanks 1

On 17/11/2020 at 23:45, The Night-Owl said:

Never liked the first Nations League and dislike it even more now, seems ridiculous and poorly thought out having so many extra international games on top of a shortened pre-season and congested domestic season. The authorities don't give a poo about fans, history or tradition, they just care about TV and money. 

If you gave them more time off they will just play exhibition matches in Qatar