Your First Wednesday Memory

14 minutes ago, Incognito Owl said:

Not one memory, but my first, earliest and best one's. Also I'm a few years older then you, but got properly into football and Wednesday later on.

My first memory is the final at the Milennium stadium and my older brother going.

A year after that going on a primary school trip to Wednesday's training ground/Hillsborough and training ect. and having a tour around the stadium. I got players photo/autographs cards from the shop for free haha. My brother and I went into town to get me a Wednesday shirt for it, but no where had them in stock. So he had to buy me a Sheffield United oneWTF:My first and only club shirt haha. Also the guys doing the training ect. took the ******** out of 2 of my friends who had Man Utd and Liverpool shirts, the Liverpool one was born and from ect. Liverpool though haha.

Getting relegated in 2010.

Going to my first game with my brother in the 2011/12 season, when Gary Megson was in charge.garymegsonIt was the first league game against Rochdale at home, we won 2-0. We sat high up on the south stand near the away end. My mum wouldn't allow me to go before, as she was worried about violence ect.

Started going to some more with my brother in the 15/16 season, the first year of carlos. My brother knew tango:tango:So he shook my hand haha at the Rotherham game at home, where we lost 0-1 to Neil Warnock the pantomime villain haha. Tango's smelt like beer and his belly isn't any better close up as well haha.

Winning against Cardiff 3-0 at home to secure a play off spot, If I recall correctly. First time sat on the kop that day, enjoyed it better than most of my times on the south.

I've got many more, but wanted matches that I actually went to and other things that stood out in a way, personally. 

Swear filter = pee pee.

Guest Hornsby

Not clearly, but a home game about 67 or 68 against Spurs I think.

And did we also play West Brom in cup a bit after that?

City relegation game clearest early memory, April 1970.

Mancs tried to throw game and we still couldn't do it.

Loved their AC Milan away kit.

20 minutes ago, Incognito Owl said:

Not one memory, but my first, earliest and best one's. Also I'm a few years older then you, but got properly into football and Wednesday later on.

My first memory is the final at the Milennium stadium and my older brother going.

A year after that going on a primary school trip to Wednesday's training ground/Hillsborough and training ect. and having a tour around the stadium. I got players photo/autographs cards from the shop for free haha. My brother and I went into town to get me a Wednesday shirt for it, but no where had them in stock. So he had to buy me a Sheffield United oneWTF:My first and only club shirt haha. Also the guys doing the training ect. took the ******** out of 2 of my friends who had Man Utd and Liverpool shirts, the Liverpool one was born and from ect. Liverpool though haha.

Getting relegated in 2010.

Going to my first game with my brother in the 2011/12 season, when Gary Megson was in charge.garymegsonIt was the first league game against Rochdale at home, we won 2-0. We sat high up on the south stand near the away end. My mum wouldn't allow me to go before, as she was worried about violence ect.

Started going to some more with my brother in the 15/16 season, the first year of carlos. My brother knew tango:tango:So he shook my hand haha at the Rotherham game at home, where we lost 0-1 to Neil Warnock the pantomime villain haha. Tango's smelt like beer and his belly isn't any better close up as well haha.

Winning against Cardiff 3-0 at home to secure a play off spot, If I recall correctly. First time sat on the kop that day, enjoyed it better than most of my times on the south.

I've got many more, but wanted matches that I actually went to and other things that stood out in a way, personally. 

Also I'm only a relatively young owl, so I hope I/we get some better footballing moments like most of you have experienced before. 

My first memory 

My mum and dad neighbour is a huge fan of swfc. In his younger days he had a look young lad called David Hirst in his youth team he managed. Wednesday had just signed Hirst from Barnsley and he was down as substitute to play against Everton at Hillsborough. I knew nothing about any of this at the time. I was about 8 years old. Around 1 o'clock out of the blue our neighbour knocked on the door and said would I like to go to a football match to watch Wednesday. 

I said yes and parents were OK. My dad was a armchair swfc fan anyway. I stood on the kop no cover or seats. Bang in the centre. As the kop got fuller and closer to 3 o'clock I could feel the atmosphere building. I watched the players warm up and couldn't believe how close to us they were. 

I don't remember much about the match apart from Hirst coming on as sub and the goal he scored. That was when I found out that my neighbour had coached Hirst. I can still see the tears of joy he cried when he scored. All his surrounding friends were patting his back. 

We drew with Everton 1-1. I been hooked ever since. 

My parents neighbour has just battled cancer and won at 80 years old. Still goes to the games when he can. 

I was not really a football fan till that day. I then started playing at school breaks and then for school team and then Sunday league. By 12 I was getting watched every match by scouts from everywhere. All apart from swfc. I was in the same class at school as Leroy Chambers. He was very protective of his status and obviously had spoken to swfc about me. We had a massive rivalry and we competed against each other for every athletic or sport oriented game. He had signed school boy forms for swfc and I was getting offers from lots of local teams. I only wanted swfc to want me. They never came. I eventually decided to sign up for for sufc. Even though I hated it at training and matches. Some of the youth players were only in the team due to their dads sucking up to the management. The coaches were very old fashioned. They were looking for freak of nature kids who were built like Arnold shwartzniger. I was not. It was so difficult to get used to trying to impress coaches in training and games compared with just enjoying the fun of playing. 

My worst experience was one particular train session. We trained 3 nights a week 6.30 till 9.30. Twice a week outside on grass. At 9.30 you would be given a task like scoring from a free kick from 25 yards or from a cross or hitting a cone from 50 yards. You could not get changed until you had completed the test. After the worst session ever we had to score a free kick. I went first and hit a beauty straight into top corner. Keeper no chance. But the coach missed it. So it didn't count. After that I couldn't score to save my life. I got tireder and tireder. Just scoring seconds before floodlights went off. It was so late the showers had been turned off and locked. So coach gave me a lift to Bramhall Lane. I quickly took my clothes off and jumped in the big bath. To my surprise a 1st team player was already in. Small defender called Chris wilder. Dave basset walked past and they shared some banter. He asked me what I was doing there. I told him that I stayed that late training the shower was locked. Not mentioning the fact that it was because I couldn't score. On Saturday we had a game against grimsby. It was a home game. We got changed at Bramhall Lane and my dad took me from lane to ground. When we got there nobody was there. We waited and waited and nobody turned up. Then 20 minutes after kick off time the coach speeds into carpark and says follow him we playing at a different ground and nobody told me. When we got to the ground we actually playing on the match had already started. But I was put on the pitch straight away. Substituting a player for me. Soon as I got on pitch I noticed dave basset was watching. He had turned up to watch me and I had gone to the wrong ground. Everyone raised their game. I scored 3 before half time with only 3 touches. I was then substituted at half time. Week after I was training with northern intermediate team. Week after that I was told to prepare for training with first team. United had a massive injury list and had very few players to play in a cup tie on Sunday. I was going to be in the squad. On Saturday my confidence soaring my mates team was playing in the final of a cup competition. He called for me and asked me if I could play as a ringer to help them win. Like an idiot I agreed. Within 5 minutes of the game starting I was clattered by the goal keeper after going past him. Snapping my acl. 18 months in plaster. Career over before it started. Much to Leroy Chambers satisfaction. He got named as substitute for Wednesday a couple of times and scored loads of goals for reserves but never played in the first team. He did play for Chester, Boston and Macclesfield and became quite a good goal scorer. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

1961 was at my cousins house he was  listening to the football scores on the radio and he threw a few swear words when sheff utd 1 sheff wed 0 was announced ......impressed me that much i thought i'm going to follow them if your allowed to swear when they get beat .....done a lot of swearing over the last 59 years 

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

My first memory 

My mum and dad neighbour is a huge fan of swfc. In his younger days he had a look young lad called David Hirst in his youth team he managed. Wednesday had just signed Hirst from Barnsley and he was down as substitute to play against Everton at Hillsborough. I knew nothing about any of this at the time. I was about 8 years old. Around 1 o'clock out of the blue our neighbour knocked on the door and said would I like to go to a football match to watch Wednesday. 

I said yes and parents were OK. My dad was a armchair swfc fan anyway. I stood on the kop no cover or seats. Bang in the centre. As the kop got fuller and closer to 3 o'clock I could feel the atmosphere building. I watched the players warm up and couldn't believe how close to us they were. 

I don't remember much about the match apart from Hirst coming on as sub and the goal he scored. That was when I found out that my neighbour had coached Hirst. I can still see the tears of joy he cried when he scored. All his surrounding friends were patting his back. 

My parents neighbour has just battled cancer and won at 80 years old. Still goes to the games when he can. 

I was not really a football fan till that day. I then started playing at school breaks and then for school team and then Sunday league. By 12 I was getting watched every match by scouts from everywhere. All apart from swfc. I was in the same class at school as Leroy Chambers. He was very protective of his status and obviously had spoken to swfc about me. We had a massive rivalry and we competed against each other for every athletic or sport oriented game. He had signed school boy forms for swfc and I was getting offers from lots of local teams. I only wanted swfc to want me. They never came. I eventually decided to sign up for for sufc. Even though I hated it at training and matches. Some of the youth players were only in the team due to their dads sucking up to the management. The coaches were very old fashioned. They were looking for freak of nature kids who were built like Arnold shwartzniger. I was not. It was so difficult to get used to trying to impress coaches in training and games compared with just enjoying the fun of playing. 

My worst experience was one particular train session. We trained 3 nights a week 6.30 till 9.30. Twice a week outside on grass. At 9.30 you would be given a task like scoring from a free kick from 25 yards or from a cross or hitting a cone from 50 yards. You could not get changed until you had completed the test. After the worst session ever we had to score a free kick. I went first and hit a beauty straight into top corner. Keeper no chance. But the coach missed it. So it didn't count. After that I couldn't score to save my life. I got tireder and tireder. Just scoring seconds before floodlights went off. It was so late the showers had been turned off and locked. So coach gave me a lift to Bramhall Lane. I quickly took my clothes off and jumped in the big bath. To my surprise a 1st team player was already in. Small defender called Chris wilder. Dave basset walked past and they shared some banter. He asked me what I was doing there. I told him that I stayed that late training the shower was locked. Not mentioning the fact that it was because I couldn't score. On Saturday we had a game against grimsby. It was a home game. We got changed at Bramhall Lane and my dad took me from lane to ground. When we got there nobody was there. We waited and waited and nobody turned up. Then 20 minutes after kick off time the coach speeds into carpark and says follow him we playing at a different ground and nobody told me. When we got to the ground we actually playing on the match had already started. But I was put on the pitch straight away. Substituting a player for me. Soon as I got on pitch I noticed dave basset was watching. He had turned up to watch me and I had gone to the wrong ground. Everyone raised their game. I scored 3 before half time with only 3 touches. I was then substituted at half time. Week after I was training with northern intermediate team. Week after that I was told to prepare for training with first team. United had a massive injury list and had very few players to play in a cup tie on Sunday. I was going to be in the squad. On Saturday my confidence soaring my mates team was playing in the final of a cup competition. He called for me and asked me if I could play as a ringer to help them win. Like an idiot I agreed. Within 5 minutes of the game starting I was clattered by the goal keeper after going past him. Snapping my acl. 18 months in plaster. Career over before it started. Much to Leroy Chambers satisfaction. He got named as substitute for Wednesday a couple of times and scored loads of goals for reserves but never played in the first team. He did play for Chester, Boston and Macclesfield and became quite a good goal scorer. 

If anyone wants to read on. 

While in plaster and on crutches I still went to watch as many games home and away as possible. This particular Saturday it was a semi final at Hillsborough with Liverpool playing. I didn't have a ticket but after numerous visits to anfield and Everton I knew getting tickets outside the ground was easy. I also did not mind being with either fans. Dean Barrick nearly got me killed while celebrating his goal at anfield in the kop on my own. Only joking the Liverpool fans were great. My mum and dad were fine with it. I set off to the bus stop on crutches to catch the 2 or 59 circular bus to the ground. While at bus stop a friend drove past he had just passed his test and got a car the first of my friend's to do this. We went everywhere with the tape playing full blast. Eventually I got dropped off at home around midnight. As I walked in the door my mum fainted and sisters grabbed me that hard she hurt me squeezing me. My dad wasn't there as he had gone to identify my body as someone fitted my description. That was the luckiest day of my life. How different things could have been. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

My first Wednesday memory was coming downstairs for breakfast aged six and my dad telling me that I should support Wednesday because I liked owls. My best friend was collecting the Football '87 Panini stickers and gave me his spares of Lawrie Madden, Nigel Worthington and Paul Hart. That day my interest in football, and Wednesday, began.

The first time I saw anything Wednesday-related on TV was the sports news report on the day we lost the Mercantile Credit Tournament Final at Wembley.

The first full live game I saw on TV was the 2-0 defeat to Spurs in the Hillsborough snow in November 1988.

The first game I went to was a 1-1 draw at Palace (my nearest local club, and the one my Mum's side of the family supported) in February 1990.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

If anyone wants to read on. 

While in plaster and on crutches I still went to watch as many games home and away as possible. This particular Saturday it was a semi final at Hillsborough with Liverpool playing. I didn't have a ticket but after numerous visits to anfield and Everton I knew getting tickets outside the ground was easy. I also did not mind being with either fans. Dean Barrick nearly got me killed while celebrating his goal at anfield in the kop on my own. Only joking the Liverpool fans were great. My mum and dad were fine with it. I set off to the bus stop on crutches to catch the 2 or 59 circular bus to the ground. While at bus stop a friend drove past he had just passed his test and got a car the first of my friend's to do this. We went everywhere with the tape playing full blast. Eventually I got dropped off at home around midnight. As I walked in the door my mum fainted and sisters grabbed me that hard she hurt me squeezing me. My dad wasn't there as he had gone to identify my body as someone fitted my description. That was the luckiest day of my life. How different things could have been. 

I should make it clear that I was totally oblivious to what had happened at Hillsborough. Mobile phone didn't exist then. 

• Thanks 1

1966 cup final. Cursing Gerry Young...crying when they lost...feeling very proud when Mighty Megson led them round on a lap of honour. All in glorious monochrome! Kenneth Wolstenholme commentating...he was good but always biased towards any side from London especially flippin Chelsea 🙄

• Love 1

Reading these is really interesting. 

I can't help but feel sorry for the younger fans who never experienced

The feeling of being picked up by the sway of a packed standing kop. 

Getting to away games on inter City owl for 2 quid. 

Most of all watching and following the team from 91 (rumbelows) and the 93 season. 

I know 93 was a trophy less season but what a journey. 

The team we had and the football we played. It was something else. We should have won the league. United took points of us that season. 6 points from champions. 

Today's team is so hard to watch sometimes. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Chris Apolon said:

Andy Lineghan scoring against us in the 93 final

Why I became a Wednesday fan, felt sorry for them...

Still do then?lol

52 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

My first memory 

Amazing story. But you should have jumped out of the bath and did a flying dropkick on wilder though, I blame you for sufc recent success.lol

Another one of my memories is walking up the stairs in the south stand and seeing Hillsborough nearly full ect. for the first time. The best I can describe it is probably how a Roman amphitheater was like haha. 

2 hours ago, GlasgOwl said:

When I was a wee guy, remember my Dad telling me how wee Willie Henderson was getting on here and the fans were loving him here too. 

He was one of his favourite players/characters at Ibrox.

As posted earlier, my affinity with The Owls came in 1990 working in your beautiful city and talking mostly with Wednesdayites.

You all left a tremendous impression on a 21 year old lad and you became my 'English' team. 

Loved you and it's never left me. 

WAWAW

Great post

Watching the crowd rise from their seats every time Willie Henderson got the ball was just magical and one my 1st memories watching the Owls. 
Also worked all over Scotland some years later and have to admit 1 or 2 of you are ok 😂😂

UTO

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Incognito Owl said:

Still do then?lol

Amazing story. But you should have jumped out of the bath and did a flying dropkick on wilder though, I blame you for sufc recent success.lol

Another one of my memories is walking up the stairs in the south stand and seeing Hillsborough nearly full ect. for the first time. The best I can describe it is probably how a Roman amphitheater was like haha. 

Wilder was pretty scary. He was very confident and a bit cocky. I was so nervous and a bit star struck. At the time you have no idea of the significance of these events. 

• Like 1

Both my paternal Grandfather and my Father were avid Wednesdayites so it is probably not so surprising that I joined the official Supporters' Club at the age of 3 months.  My first AWAY match was 5 months later at Elland Road. My Mother went on a shopping trip in the city centre and I went to the match with Dad.

Don't remember how we got the pram through the turnstile but I do remember the Peacocks' (they played in yellow shirts and royal blue shorts in those days) equalising goal was yards offside (draw 2-2).

The first matches at Hillsborough I can remember were in the early 50s, the era of the "yo-yo" team with a defence including McIntosh, Turton and Curtis.  For a few seasons we played in blue socks with white tops.  To me, at the top of the kop, I thought we played in wellingtons while our opponents had proper boots.  I was 5 or 6 when I complained bitterly to my Dad about this (after another home defeat) and then he told me the reality.

The best team I have seen was our team of 1959 into the early 60s.  Finished runners-up to Spurs in their double season, first team to beat them that season. 

Them wa' t' days!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

The date was probably 1959 and I was in either the N or S stand with Dad. I can't remember who we were playing and for some strange reason the one incident that's stuck in my mind was Bobby Craig having a bout of right-ankle wrestling with an opponent and a spectator near me shouting he was supposed to be better than that.  Bobby had not long since arrived from Third Lanark. He scored 25 goals in 84 games before moving on to Blackburn in 1962.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Swingin' Sixties said:

Both my paternal Grandfather and my Father were avid Wednesdayites so it is probably not so surprising that I joined the official Supporters' Club at the age of 3 months.  My first AWAY match was 5 months later at Elland Road. My Mother went on a shopping trip in the city centre and I went to the match with Dad.

Don't remember how we got the pram through the turnstile but I do remember the Peacocks' (they played in yellow shirts and royal blue shorts in those days) equalising goal was yards offside (draw 2-2).

The first matches at Hillsborough I can remember were in the early 50s, the era of the "yo-yo" team with a defence including McIntosh, Turton and Curtis.  For a few seasons we played in blue socks with white tops.  To me, at the top of the kop, I thought we played in wellingtons while our opponents had proper boots.  I was 5 or 6 when I complained bitterly to my Dad about this (after another home defeat) and then he told me the reality.

The best team I have seen was our team of 1959 into the early 60s.  Finished runners-up to Spurs in their double season, first team to beat them that season. 

Them wa' t' days!

Do you think the 60 team was better than the 93 team. I going to look for any clips from then now 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GlasgOwl said:

When I was a wee guy, remember my Dad telling me how wee Willie Henderson was getting on here and the fans were loving him here too. 

He was one of his favourite players/characters at Ibrox.

As posted earlier, my affinity with The Owls came in 1990 working in your beautiful city and talking mostly with Wednesdayites.

You all left a tremendous impression on a 21 year old lad and you became my 'English' team. 

Loved you and it's never left me. 

WAWAW

Willie was one of my favourites when I was a kid. Provided some entertainment in an otherwise dark period for us.

I had the pleasure of bumping into him when I was at a game at Ibrox about 10 years ago.

Great bloke.

• Like 1
  • Love 1