Your First Wednesday Memory

As a 4 year old, going to the games with Dad. RIP Dad.

Two buses to get to Hillsborough, it was a day out, an adventure, at that age. The bus even passed factories and industries in full production. Would swap that for a Wednesday League title any day, but I digress.

Then we’d get to the game and sit in the uncovered seats on the South Stand, and there was a tunnel along the length of the stand in those days that led to the toilets and refreshment stand. Got crisps and Oxo or Bovril, whichever it was. Then would watch the likes of Tommy Craig.

It was proper football. Grown men battling hard, kicking lumps out of each other, then just getting on with it. My Dad used to take me home, and I’d sit on his knee, and we’d read the Green Un together, it’s why I was already reading before starting infant school, it was all down to Wednesday and the Green Un. My Dad then asked me to recall the day’s team and I’d rattle off the names of the players with my Dad smiling and looking proud. 

Thanks for that, for bringing back good memories. Once Wednesday, always Wednesday, the attachment, the loyalty, never leaves us. We’re something special, we’re family.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Just finishing having a squirt at half time when another young lad ran in turned a tap on and started to have a good slurp I hadn't got the heart to tell him 10 sec before someone had used the sink to have a pee 😝

Edited by Hodgyowl

4 hours ago, Hodgyowl said:

Just finishing having a squirt at half time when another young lad ran in turned a tap on and started to have a good slurp I hadn't got the heart to tell him 10 sec before someone had used the sink to have a pee 😝

Urgh!

On 06/11/2020 at 12:13, SwintonLad99 said:

My first game was in the 2005 season, i was 6 at the time. loved it from there on. 

A lot of good memories from that season, winning at Millennium stadium to get back into the Championship is definitely the most happiest i have been at a game.

1979.  Dad used to hold me on the wall of the kop (left hand side as you looked at rhemoitch.) Brilliant t times.  

On 06/11/2020 at 12:19, WUGGAMONKEY1 said:

I can’t remember the order of the games but it during the 1984 promotion season. Man City at home where, I think, I was stood on the corner at the Leppings Lane end. Palace at home and Barnsley away. Think Sterland scored penalties in both. 

Think Barnsley away was 1 0 sterland pen. 

• Like 1

not my first game, but a long standing memory:-

Approx '62-63 at Hillsborough v the pigs in the north stand. They scored early and I was trying not to blink and sweep a tear down.

My dad noticed me looking away from him and the play, and asked what was up (didn't want him to see the crying). Told him and he said 'Don't worry it's early yet'.

it certainly was - we beat the b'stards. First season ticket next year.