Your First Wednesday Memory

55 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

My first Wednesday memory was coming downstairs for breakfast aged six and my dad telling me that I should support Wednesday because I liked owls. My best friend was collecting the Football '87 Panini stickers and gave me his spares of Lawrie Madden, Nigel Worthington and Paul Hart. That day my interest in football, and Wednesday, began.

The first time I saw anything Wednesday-related on TV was the sports news report on the day we lost the Mercantile Credit Tournament Final at Wembley.

The first full live game I saw on TV was the 2-0 defeat to Spurs in the Hillsborough snow in November 1988.

The first game I went to was a 1-1 draw at Palace (my nearest local club, and the one my Mum's side of the family supported) in February 1990.

Did your dad support any team?

39 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Reading these is really interesting. 

I can't help but feel sorry for the younger fans who never experienced

The feeling of being picked up by the sway of a packed standing kop. 

Getting to away games on inter City owl for 2 quid. 

Most of all watching and following the team from 91 (rumbelows) and the 93 season. 

I know 93 was a trophy less season but what a journey. 

The team we had and the football we played. It was something else. We should have won the league. United took points of us that season. 6 points from champions. 

Today's team is so hard to watch sometimes. 

This and videos and so on is the next best thing. I always like reading/seeing older things about Wednesday on here, especially the times around the 50's-80's. 

32 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Wilder was pretty scary. He was very confident and a bit cocky. I was so nervous and a bit star struck. At the time you have no idea of the significance of these events. 

Yeah true. On wilder I remember reading someone knew him on here as a kid and he was the same then too. He said he pushed wilder in a bunch of nettles haha.

My first memory was my Dad taking me when a young kid to Hillsborough for my first match v Spurs in the 69÷70 relegation season.

Was in the Norh stand. It was Easter Monday I think and we lost 1-0. I seem to remember Alan Mullery hitting a pretty weak shot from the edge of the area in front of the Kop and Peter Grummit fumbled the ball into the net.

What stuck in my mind about the day was the smell, no not trumping but the smell of cigars and tobacco in the air.

It seemed overpowering to me.

• Love 1

My first Wednesday game and My Uncle took me to Len Badgers testimonial at Bumhole Lane (stood near the cricket pitch) in the early 70s and seeing Wednesday run out in the blue and white stripes under the floodlights I was hooked. In the net for us was Peter Shilton.

My first Hillsborough memories are the excitement of walking up a tunnel on the West Stand and seeing the pitch,the cigar smoke smell and Wednesday drawing 1-1 with Crystal Palace in the FA Cup with Wednesday strangely wearing white shirts and blue shorts and winning a very quick penalty. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Do you think the 60 team was better than the 93 team. I going to look for any clips from then now 

It is very difficult to compare different decades isn't it but in my opinion yes from the point of view that we were a "home-made" team of non-stars whereas Tottenham were the all-stars.  We beat them at 2-1 at home, lost 2-1 away in a game that had highlights screened on BBC - largely unknown in those days and then described as a title decider.

Not taking anything away from the '93 side, of course enjoyed the season, apart from the 2 cup finals and we probably expected good things from them but even then were pleasantly surprised!

• Love 1

Another brilliant memory. Camping outside Hillsborough for tickets for 91 rumbelows final. 

I wasn't a season ticket holder and went to all the games leading up to the final. 

While queuing there was a sweepstake someone organised for the grand national. I picked a horse called seagram. Anyway the rain came down. Apparently Ron Atkinson saw us all getting drenched. First he bought every one an anorak. Then they opened the North stand for us all to spend the night in. I won nearly 200 quid on the sweepstake and bought loads of booze and cigars from the off licence up the road. 

What a night it was laughing and joking all night. Pulled a bird as well. 

Can you imagine h and s letting anything happen like that now. No chance. 

Brilliant times. Brilliant memories. This is how swfc is capable of being part of your character. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Can't remember if it was my first game but I was 10 and saw Carlton Palmer's first half Hattrick at home against QPR in 1991.

Owls went on to win 4-1. It was a funny old season, came 3rd in the league but also suffered a 6-1 loss to Leeds and a 7-1 loss to Arsenal......

The team however was immense when you look back at it.

My first ever trip to Hillsborough against Liverpool in 1998.. My brother played in one of those pre-match kids games things on the pitch where the winning team gets the matchball. We were winning 3-1 but Michael Owen scored two late goals rescuing a point for Liverpool.

Not only that, but it meant he got his hattrick so the kids that beat my brother didn't get the matchball after all! Silver lining!

Walking up the steps and getting my first glimpse of the pitch, when you're young and have never been somewhere like that before the stadium seemed so massive and had an impossibly large number of people in it.

Feeling that energy from a massive crowd for the first time.

Hearing your Dad call the linesman a ********.

Superb thread this thanks Swinton.

Will never forget walking into the ground that very first time, 9th March 1963 with my dad. My dad wasn't particularly a keen football fan but he knew what it meant to me to just go to Hillsborough.. We beat Man City 4-1 with David 'Bronco' Layne getting a hat trick and Colin Dobson the other. Since then it's been a roller coaster of highs and lows and never  a thought of not being a Wednesdayite for a second. 

Also special for me is following in my dad's footsteps by taking my own son to Hillsborough for his first game against Cardiff City on 11th October 1980 and my daughter on 31st Aug 1987 against Coventry..

Fantastic memories and if I had those times all over again I wouldn't change a thing.

• Like 2

Can't remember my first games vividly my dad started taking me as a real nipper about 4 in 67 . The first one I remember vividly was Oldham away first game of the season 73 ish. Absolutely loved being amongst all the Wednesday fans in the pub and in the ground and still do 

• Like 1
  • Love 1