Your First Wednesday Memory

Not my first game but first one I remember. Wednesday 1 Bolton 0 last game of 73-74 season and we had to win to stay in Division 2. Ken Knighton Scored and I was absolutely captivated by the pitch invasion and sheer joy at the end.  

That feeling didn’t last long as I started going regularly the following season and that was probably one of the worst if not the worst in our history. One for another thread.

Seem to also remember my dad telling me we had lost 8-0 the week before against Middlesboro ?

I went to a few games in the late 80's but my first real memories are of the 1990/91 season, still get goosebumps sometimes thinking about walking up through the main entrance of the Kop as a kid back in the days of standing up. The atmosphere when we came back from 2-0 down against Oldham in a top of the table clash was amazing. 

Run up to the 1966 Cup Final, going in Woolies with my Mum to get a Blue & White Rosette which I was absolutely chuffed to bits with (sadly long since lost) and then sitting down to watch the game.

The bitter disappointment of that day has stood me in good stead as a Wednesday fan ever since!

It was a month before my 7th Birthday.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GlasgOwl said:

There you go sir.

My first game was also 1966 just 2 weeks after this one. At home to West Ham (lost 2-0)

I can’t remember anything about the game as I was just in awe of the stadium & crowd.

Had I taken a bit more notice of the game I would’ve notice 3 West Ham players called Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst & Martin Peters playing just 2 months after winning the World Cup😳

• Haha 1

First game was the 66 cup final. A mate of my dads was a local league goalie and had tickets. I’d never been to any sort of match before, so to be part of a 100,000 crowd was awe inspiring at 10 years old. Remember getting dead excited at 2-0 up and then crying when their third went in. A few weeks later, had my first trip to Hillsborough for West Germany v Uruguay in the World Cup and the rest is history. 

• Like 1

First memory involving Wednesday wasn't the actual incident itself but the fuss around Di Canio pushing the referee. I was only very young at the time but I do remember the fuss. Don't really remember the relegation a the season after but I do remember the derby against United where we won 2-1 and Ekoku scored a brace. With it being the first derby for six years there was a fair bit of build up which even as a six year old you pick up on.

12 hours ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

If it's the season we got relegated it wasn't the opening game had a horrible run of results including the 8-0 away at Newcastle. The 5-1 win over Wimbledon was our first of the season. The only time I can recall us beating them tbh.

The only games I did not like was against Wimbledon. They always managed to referee the game themselves. John fashanu was a total clown. He was dirty and a diver. Shame cus he could play. Wimbledon were experts at extracting results from very little talent. Never a good game to watch. 

Think my first game was against Leeds, sat in the middle of the kop with my dad and his mates, don't remember much about the game itself (think we lost) but vividly remember my dad teaching me 'hi ho sheffield wednesday' on the days leading up to the match. 

After that my most pungent memory is the fact that I didn't even see a goal, let alone a win for the next 10ish games I went to. The most frustrating part of this was when we played wolves at home. My dad and his pals decided we should go for a half time pie on the 40th minute to beat the half time rush. This of course resulted in us scoring as we were cueing. Remember being in tears for a good 20 mins after scoring as I missed the goal. Think we lost 3-1 in the end anyway! 

God knows how I ended up sticking it out as a Wednesdayite! Most of the time I wish I hadn't bothered! 🤣 @Harbeymc

We thrashed stoke 4-1 at home,I was in the New Stand as it was then called,I was still a nipper,I stood on my seat to watch the game,next to my old man,loved every minute,Dobson scored the first goal and had a blinding game,it was four days before the FA cup Quater final at Blackburn,world cup year,Hillsboro was gearing up for the qualifying games,great times,there was real buzz around the place with us doing well in the cup and the World cup finals drawing ever closer,man they were heady days.

Little did I know the pain and ecstasy were just a few months away and I would get them almost in one shot in the space of a few brief but memorable weeks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, legendaryswan said:

We thrashed stoke 4-1 at home,I was in the New Stand as it was then called,I was still a nipper,I stood on my seat to watch the game,next to my old man,loved every minute,Dobson scored the first goal and had a blinding game,it was four days before the FA cup Quater final at Blackburn,world cup year,Hillsboro was gearing up for the qualifying games,great times,there was real buzz around the place with us doing well in the cup and the World cup finals drawing ever closer,man they were heady days.

Little did I know the pain and ecstasy were just a few months away and I would get them almost in one shot in the space of a few brief but memorable weeks

That was my first match too. Went on Kop at bottom left hand corner. Spent most of first ten minutes looking back at the large crowd on the Kop. I can remember seeing four fans each holding a small paddle board with four separate letters spelling O W L S, though I swear at one point spelled S L O W.

Can also remember that even though it was a night match, contractors were still working on the West Stand which presumably was behind schedule for the up and coming World Cup.

If I remember rightly it was 9d for kids entry to the ground less than 4p in today’s money!

Managed to get the program from that night, and intend to frame it at some stage.

D8B80DAE-CD03-4F27-A4D3-F2C1CF71B0FA.jpeg

C57A9D61-ED84-4C66-85D4-3AF94621F0B9.jpeg

BDC4170E-3F01-4613-A0AC-D6DFD6C4BBA4.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

The only games I did not like was against Wimbledon. They always managed to referee the game themselves. John fashanu was a total clown. He was dirty and a diver. Shame cus he could play. Wimbledon were experts at extracting results from very little talent. Never a good game to watch. 

Remember them beating us in the fa cup at once and also hammering us in div 1 I think john hartson got a hat trick. Don't recall ever seeing us beat them.