Feel so sorry for our strikers

Oh and I was lead to believe it was just that JR was rubbish. 

Lucas João will be a premier League player in the next 10 months or so with reading or not. 

Leaving us is the best thing that could have happened to him and I expect would be for most other strikers we ever have 

• Like 1

Marriott has had one chance while he has been here, about two minutes after he came on at Birmingham.

Since then he hasn’t had one chance, not even had a ball to his feet on the edge of the box nor a ball played down the channels.

We don’t do approach play through the middle .

We basically surrender centre midfield and any decent passing move has the sole intention of getting the ball wide and putting a cross in.

When was the last time a striker like Marriott had the ball played to his feet in the box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whenever I watch other teams on TV, not the Premier League stuff the stuff going on in League 1 and 2, and I'm always so envious to how most seem to play and goals they score.  There's a certain simplicity to football that is wonderful.  Seeing a team dominate and put a game to bed.  Wonderful.

There are always bodies in the box, players hanging on the edge of the last defender wanting to make a run , players finding their way into the area to provide a short cross or cut-back to a striker in the middle.  Someone actually having a serious pop at goal.

Why can't we have some of that, ever, when we play at home?  Us playing at home is truly, truly woeful.  I never get the impression we're actually going into a game with an intention to anything other than 'keeping it tight'.  It always feels like a struggle, like really hard work, and if we do score it feels like an absolute miracle has happened.  I'm always utterly shocked we've actually been able to score, somehow, its great - but I always feel the players themselves are shocked too.  

The weird thing though, is that away from home we look a threat.  I usually enjoy watching us, always feels like the players are enjoying themselves, released of shackles, have a plan and regularly put it into action.  Generally speaking, we look a decent unit.  There are times we get blown away by better teams, but these things happen - I'm not expecting glory every week.  But we're OK, and its usually decent to watch.

So why the absolute dross at home?  Are we really that short of quality and idea on the ball?  Yes, it appears we really are.

• Like 3

If Brown and Luongo can get fit and stay fit then our midfielder has more than enough quality along with Bannan. 

A back three of Iorfa, Flint, Lees is also as solid as you'll get for this league. No idea on Dunkley yet! I think he's another myth! 

Wingbacks? Meh 

I'm still also not sold on any of the strikers. 

Agree with OP. 

Usually I’d blame our WBs abd don’t get me wrong, they don’t create loads (Harris much more than Reach). But for me it’s clear out CMs are the issue.

How often do any of them make a run into the opponents box? Even when we have Brown, Luongo and Bannan we are too static. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poite said:

Oh and I was lead to believe it was just that JR was rubbish. 

Lucas João will be a premier League player in the next 10 months or so with reading or not. 

Leaving us is the best thing that could have happened to him and I expect would be for most other strikers we ever have 

And Fletcher scored again for Stoke today -,they seem to be a club moving in the right direction so far this season.

59 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Marriott has had one chance while he has been here, about two minutes after he came on at Birmingham.

Since then he hasn’t had one chance, not even had a ball to his feet on the edge of the box nor a ball played down the channels.

We basically surrender centre midfield and any decent passing move has the sole intention of getting the ball wide and putting a cross in.

When was the last time a striker like Marriott had the ball played to his feet in the box.

Great post pal, spot on

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Got to be honest Marriott looks dire. Is he or is it us?

Kachunga couldnt look less like a striker.

Windass looking less like a striker this season than he did at the end of last season.

I sort of like Paterson then the thought enters my head that he’s our replacement for Fletcher.

I know most of us hate Rhodes now, but honestly I really think he is our least bad striker. And the one most likely to score.

Patterson and windass up front or Rhodes and Patterson. Those are our options. 

Marriott is cack.

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

Marriott thrives of through balls. When do we ever play in the oppositions final third? Our only tactic is hoof it forward or give it Harris to try and do something.