parson cross

chapeltown/burncross/high green conurbation

dem gruntbags strongholds

heeley

woodseats

darnall

woodhouse

8 hours ago, pahowl said:

I lived there from 1989 to 1995 and can tell you that it was very much a blades area.

Quite a bit has changed there since then,  but it still has a good feel as a local shopping area.

Yep. Lived there at a similar time and mainly Blades. 
Never saw any bother in any of the pubs, good banter. Nobody thru a brick through my window when I had a Wednesday flag hanging out of it after the cup semi final. 

Guest Therealrealist
5 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Yep. Lived there at a similar time and mainly Blades. 
Never saw any bother in any of the pubs, good banter. Nobody thru a brick through my window when I had a Wednesday flag hanging out of it after the cup semi final. 

I bet there’s loads er people in Sheffield who’ve never had a brick thrown 5hru their windows🤠

1 hour ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I used to frequent the Big Tree and Woodseats Hotel in the 80s and 90s and there were plenty of Wednesday lads from Woodseats and the surrounding areas. I would say it was pretty even.

Same here mid 80s to 95 was in the Tree at least twice a week. Would say just about more Blades actually from Woodseats itself but plenty of us Wednesday down their. Blades were pretty quiet as some good Weds lads. TBH most of us grew knowing each other so tended not mess on your own doorstep.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tarquin said:

Hmmm, I live in Woodseats there are lots of the great unwashed who require watching. They tend to get a bit OTT when things go well at S2. The last time they were promoted under Colin there were several in the Big Tree actually in the tree itself. There carers were supplying them with bottles of beer on lengths of string, one even had a fishing reel to expedite matters more quickly. 

I regard myself as a missionary preaching the good word without much success 

Not often you see 'Marx & Engels' quoted on here.....

11 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Same here mid 80s to 95 was in the Tree at least twice a week. Would say just about more Blades actually from Woodseats itself but plenty of us Wednesday down their. Blades were pretty quiet as some good Weds lads. TBH most of us grew knowing each other so tended not mess on your own doorstep.

There was good natured banter between the regulars on Woodseats with no trouble however occasionally you would get a few gobby blades that would show off including a few footballers that came in the Tree. Our good friend "Scouse" acted as the unofficial bouncer in the Tree that barred himself for a short time when the TV got broke after England drew with Holland in the 1990 World Cup.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gizowl said:

What do you class as the piggy side of town? 

S2 area like Manor, Wybourn, Norfolk Palk, Arbourthorne (I lived on Norfolk Park and Arbourthorne for about 5 years, wasn't too many Owls around) most of S12 like Intake, Frecheville, parts of S8 LIKE Woodseats and anything towards Chesterfield end of town. S4 and S14 and Gleadless Valley.

Parts of S10 as well, some of those places merge towards S3 towards Broomhall etc.

• Like 1

I lived there between 2013 and 2017 and watched the play off semi final 2nd leg in the Abbey.

Theres still a good handful of Owls living down there.

As said before there's loads of Blades but i've had no hassle.  During their big away days  (League 1 promotion I think and Wembly) they've gathered in big numbers at the Tree waiting for the coaches. Nothing to be bothered about.

• Like 1

There were some dodgy shops in Woodseats back in the 1970s.

Rounds newsagents contained nothing except the eponymous newsagent (who was quite a nice man, but looked like the butler from the Addams family) and some lucky dip bags. Also there was a cobbler

near to Cobnar Road who was so traumatised that his shop window was just a load of dusty leather belts and shoes thrown in a heap. I loved Woodseats, but the Owls (although proud and loud) were always in the minority. It was quite good natured banter back in the 80s, but then again you usually had mates and family members who were Blades.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, parajack said:

Not often you see 'Marx & Engels' quoted on here.....

You have to be a little careful in what you tax them with, anything remotely that requires between the ear gymnastics is best left to the local betting shop.  Anything over "what do you think to Cross and Blackwell?" ------     ----       "Yer Mean  them new solicitors thats opened near weatherspoons"?  was the reply.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, royalowlisback said:

S2 area like Manor, Wybourn, Norfolk Palk, Arbourthorne (I lived on Norfolk Park and Arbourthorne for about 5 years, wasn't too many Owls around) most of S12 like Intake, Frecheville, parts of S8 LIKE Woodseats and anything towards Chesterfield end of town. S4 and S14 and Gleadless Valley.

Parts of S10 as well, some of those places merge towards S3 towards Broomhall etc.

Think you'll be surprised, I've lived and worked in those areas all my days and Dronfield, Eckington, Mosborough, Birley, Gleadless, Base green, Intake and their is plenty of owls in fact some of those areas are mostly Wednesday. 

Just now, gizowl said:

Think you'll be surprised, I've lived and worked in those areas all my days and Dronfield, Eckington, Mosborough, Birley, Gleadless, Base green, Intake and their is plenty of owls in fact some of those areas are mostly Wednesday. 

Plenty of Owls in Chesterfield too

My favourite moment during my drinking days on Woodseats was on the 21st April 1991. We'd been watching Wednesday away along with thousands of others. Went to some place called London, watched us play at some stadium called Wembley against some team called Manchester United. We had been for the weekend enjoyed a great win, saw our captain lift a trophy and managed to get the Woodcock Travel coach driver to divert down Chesterfield Road and drop us off outside the Woodseats Hotel. We managed to get in for the last half hour, left our luggage with the DJ and enjoyed a few drinks listening to the Blunts telling us what a boring game it was lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

My favourite moment during my drinking days on Woodseats was on the 21st April 1991. We'd been watching Wednesday away along with thousands of others. Went to some place called London, watched us play at some stadium called Wembley against some team called Manchester United. We had been for the weekend enjoyed a great win, saw our captain lift a trophy and managed to get the Woodcock Travel coach driver to divert down Chesterfield Road and drop us off outside the Woodseats Hotel. We managed to get in for the last half hour, left our luggage with the DJ and enjoyed a few drinks listening to the Blunts telling us what a boring game it was lol

We had weekend in London with woodcock travels all our lot were from around birley area what a weekend

• Like 1