Big Dave, on his way back

Guest mrbluesky

5 hours ago, dorian gray said:

IF he is the answer...

i'd love to know what the question was?

The question is - who do we bring on at the end of a game when we get desperate and plan to lump long balls into the box? (Or are defending a 1 goal lead and need to fire desperate long balls forward to a lone striker). Yes, it's not pretty, yes, it's not even effective half the time, but pretty much every squad in the league has someone to do this and there are certain teams - e.g. Fulham last season, where it was the only way we could unsettle them.

The answer clearly isn't Rhodes, and I don't think the answer will be Chris Martin or Rudy Gestede on 30k a week. So if Nuhiu is willing to take the right type of contract for a squad player then why not?

The alternative (my preference) would have been to find a new player, probably from the continent, to come in on lowish wages and do this role - but that would be a risk, and it seems as the season has already started and we haven't brought anyone in that we weren't capable of finding the suitable quality. And it might be an even bigger risk to go for a van Aken style 200th on the list out of desperation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, dorian gray said:

IF he is the answer...

i'd love to know what the question was?

The question is,

We have 1 striker who the manager does not rate, hardly ever scores and his all round contribution is poor. It doesn't look as though the club have been successful in being able to attract a striker before the league campaign starts next week.

Is there a player available who knows the club, scored more goals last season than any other player we have and will occupy defenders and give us the opportunity to play higher up the pitch than any player we currently have?

Nuhiu is the answer to that question and will undoubtedly improve our current squad. 

Or we could carry on for the next month without a focal point and see if the club have any more success than they have had in the last month in bringing in a striker as they get more desperate towards the end of the transfer window.

Guest wilyfox
17 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The question is,

We have 1 striker who the manager does not rate, hardly ever scores and his all round contribution is poor. It doesn't look as though the club have been successful in being able to attract a striker before the league campaign starts next week.

Is there a player available who knows the club, scored more goals last season than any other player we have and will occupy defenders and give us the opportunity to play higher up the pitch than any player we currently have?

Nuhiu is the answer to that question and will undoubtedly improve our current squad. 

Or we could carry on for the next month without a focal point and see if the club have any more success than they have had in the last month in bringing in a striker as they get more desperate towards the end of the transfer window.

I'll go with the last part.

3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I'll go with the last part.

You enjoyed the way we played yesterday then?

Nuhiu scored more last season than any player on our books right now. Windass and Kachunga might be effective in forward roles in some games but won't regularly offer a focal point or enable us to play further up field. We need 2 more strikers, in the absence of anyone else as things stand, Nuhiu would be worth having.

Guest wilyfox
5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You enjoyed the way we played yesterday then?

Nuhiu scored more last season than any player on our books right now. Windass and Kachunga might be effective in forward roles in some games but won't regularly offer a focal point or enable us to play further up field. We need 2 more strikers, in the absence of anyone else as things stand, Nuhiu would be worth having.

Balls to that. You make it sound as though it's Nuhiu or bust. It's just frustration that we've not signed a centre-forward yet. We will. 

2 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Balls to that. You make it sound as though it's Nuhiu or bust. It's just frustration that we've not signed a centre-forward yet. We will. 

I hope you are right. Any idea who we might bring in? Still think we need 2 as well and ideally we would get them in soon given that on Saturday we will start 12 points behind everyone, the longer we don't have a striker the more unlikely it is that we will make inroads into clawing those points back.

Even if Nuhiu were to return there seems to be a fear that he's all of a sudden going to become our regular plan A.

He was here for 7 years and that was very rarely the case for any significant run of games.

Whatever Monk's master plan is needn't be threatened (assuming the budget allows) by bringing Nuhiu back for a year should we need him.

Guest mrbluesky
35 minutes ago, The Claw said:

Stalker alert 

It’s a topic I started, you posted in it, I replied, that’s how forums work (I think) 

But yeah, sure.

Guest wilyfox
12 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I hope you are right. Any idea who we might bring in? Still think we need 2 as well and ideally we would get them in soon given that on Saturday we will start 12 points behind everyone, the longer we don't have a striker the more unlikely it is that we will make inroads into clawing those points back.

Dunno. I'd like Davis or Bonne, but we rarely end up signing who I want. When has DC ever not signed players for us? Every year we end up with a bloated squad, so I'm sure he'll bring in a centre-forward or two. 

20 hours ago, Elvin Parsnip said:

When given a run of games in 2017/18 when everyone was injured he scored 14 goals in about that many games didn’t he ?

Just before his contract renewal. Disappeared straight after. Guess if we get him back we know what he is-reliable in terms of injuries but limited in terms of core attributes-skill, speed and scoring ability.