Big Dave, on his way back

Guest mrbluesky

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

Looking at the list above, can someone explain to me why Nuhiu has had more criticism for his goals return than probably all of the rest combined, when the facts are that he simply does not stand out in that way statistically at all? It's clear there is a prejudice at work in his case that the others are not subject to for some reason. This is not to say I'd necessary like him to return now (as I'd hoped this was a chance to find a new option, even if it was a one season only loan) but I am curious at the inconsistency of some of the supposed reasoning. 

Disproportionately big players usually get this. Sibon was the same - our best player by far at the time but got dog's abuse. Other examples like Carlton Palmer (for England, not for us) and Peter Crouch.

People expect a 6'7" to leap like a salmon and sprint like Michael Owen - but he has different skills and despite this "can't jump" brigade has scored more headers for us than any striker since Mark Bright I'll wager.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

Averages per season whilst at Wednesday, going back the last several years for any forwards who played a decent number of games.

APPS   GOALS    ASSISTS

Fletcher           25+9         10              2

Hooper            18+5           8              3

Forestieri         20+7           8              3 

Nuhiu              20+20         7              3

Joao                17+16         7              2

May                 28+14         7              1

Maguire           23+7           6              2

Rhodes           17+13         5              1

Matias               9+8           3              1

Winnall              9+9           3              0

Looking at the list above, can someone explain to me why Nuhiu has had more criticism for his goals return than probably all of the rest combined, when the facts are that he simply does not stand out in that way statistically at all? It's clear there is a prejudice at work in his case that the others are not subject to for some reason. This is not to say I'd necessary like him to return now (as I'd hoped this was a chance to find a new option, even if it was a one season only loan) but I am curious at the inconsistency of some of the supposed reasoning. 

That's an interesting list of stats. Nuhiu to me to be fair to him, seemed a useful impact player to bring off the bench. Do you know how many of his average goals and assists were from the bench? Surprised he ranks so high in that list. But on the other hand, it's miserable to see only one striker averaging double figures and that striker is no longer with us too. And the only striker still here, near the bottom of the list. 

Although the criticism of Nuhiu is unfair, especially considering the effectiveness and impact he had, I do feel we need something different. My thinking is that we need a younger or more mobile version of Fletcher up top, a pivot but also someone that can hunt down defenders and get onto the end of Bannan and Brown's through balls. 

Edited by The Night-Owl

7 hours ago, Theboylangers said:

I think you'll be disappointed. Chansiri has paid for recruitment of all his backroom staff. 

Monk is here to stay for a good while. 

Finally, somebody has noticed. 
End of thread. 
No more get rid of the useless chump comments from anyone for at least 24 hours

• Like 2

We know what we are getting with big adthe. Almost guaranteed fitness, and 8 ish goals a season usually scored as a late sub. Also the ability to fall about a bit and create havoc in the box. He is also a very good penalty taker.  

if he wants to play the role of sub striker for another season then this makes complete sense. Would be great to have the big man back in the building.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

The question is - who do we bring on at the end of a game when we get desperate and plan to lump long balls into the box? (Or are defending a 1 goal lead and need to fire desperate long balls forward to a lone striker). Yes, it's not pretty, yes, it's not even effective half the time, but pretty much every squad in the league has someone to do this and there are certain teams - e.g. Fulham last season, where it was the only way we could unsettle them.

The answer clearly isn't Rhodes, and I don't think the answer will be Chris Martin or Rudy Gestede on 30k a week. So if Nuhiu is willing to take the right type of contract for a squad player then why not?

The alternative (my preference) would have been to find a new player, probably from the continent, to come in on lowish wages and do this role - but that would be a risk, and it seems as the season has already started and we haven't brought anyone in that we weren't capable of finding the suitable quality. And it might be an even bigger risk to go for a van Aken style 200th on the list out of desperation.

firstly i do wonder over his 'MAGIC' form last time his contract was due.

secondly i agree he has done that 10/15 minute appearance at the end of a game job well, better than anyone else has in fact.

BUT with the fact that rhodes is still amongst us on damn good money there has to be cuts IF we are to 'buy in' some attacking quality.

two of the biggest complaints amongst us over the last 5 years is 1) important positions haven't been addressed in t/f windows, and 2) we haven't looked to release players, well it looks like we're (i hope) doing both.

nuhiu's performances in the coming season probably couldn't keep us up, let's hope the player we bring in with his wage can do so.

i actually think nuhiu should have stayed IF we're not going to add to the strikeforce, but i fully expect us to.

Yes we need strikers. But Adthe isn't a 90 min player. 20 mins before the end after the opponents defence has tired then yes he's an option off the bench, but we'd still need other players. He isn't effective for me over 90mins, and we'd resort to long balls other the top, bypassing any quality we might have in the middle. 

19 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The question is,

We have 1 striker who the manager does not rate, hardly ever scores and his all round contribution is poor. It doesn't look as though the club have been successful in being able to attract a striker before the league campaign starts next week.

Is there a player available who knows the club, scored more goals last season than any other player we have and will occupy defenders and give us the opportunity to play higher up the pitch than any player we currently have?

Nuhiu is the answer to that question and will undoubtedly improve our current squad. 

Or we could carry on for the next month without a focal point and see if the club have any more success than they have had in the last month in bringing in a striker as they get more desperate towards the end of the transfer window.

'who knows the club' what's knowing the club got to do with it? i saw alan warboys a few months ago, is he in the reckoning?, after all he 'knows the club'.

i imagine we may be looking in the loan market for our firepower, as it's clearly evident we are short in that department.

i imagine we'll be looking to attack for 90 plus a game and not needing nuhiu's skills to help us hang on. 

besides i imagine he's being fought over by every club in the division for his signing as he's such an important player, isn't he?

who's he signed for? who's after him?

Edited by dorian gray

9 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Disproportionately big players usually get this. Sibon was the same - our best player by far at the time but got dog's abuse. Other examples like Carlton Palmer (for England, not for us) and Peter Crouch.

People expect a 6'7" to leap like a salmon and sprint like Michael Owen - but he has different skills and despite this "can't jump" brigade has scored more headers for us than any striker since Mark Bright I'll wager.

he has an effect no doubt, BUT wouldn't you like to see us bring in better?

it's very doubtful rhodes will be going far, and with his wage in mind to bring in firepower we needed to move someone on.

How have we got ourselves in this friggin mess. It was clear to anyone with half a brain, that there was no way we could recruit a complete new roster of strikers. I have no objection to bringing back Nuhiu, he’s better than anything Monk is likely to come up with. We are a shambles

• Like 1