Jacob Murphy

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, prowl said:

Lees was off the boil, Borner was nowhere near as good as earlier and even Iorfa didn't look a patch on what he did early on. 3 good mid/attacking players don't make up for a dire central defensive unit.

Main problem areas are keeper and central midfield as it offers no protection to the defence. We missed Westwood and Hutchinson big time.

As for the attacking players, Nuhui and Windass were good squad players who did their roles well, but they aren’t big players for the team and we don’t have many of those left. Bannan can’t do it all himself, Reach doesn’t get a look in under Monk, Murphy is decent but Harris is pretty poor. He started well for the first few games, had a great debut at Reading and that made some think he’s a decent player. But he’s had no goals or assists for about 30 games so he brings nothing to the team.

We don’t have the balance right as a collective, and then as individuals performances fell off because of this. Iorfa, Borner, Palmer, Fox etc should be good enough for a mid table side at this level. Get a proper ball winner in midfield and a keeper who communicates and leads the defence and organisation will

improve ten fold. Just a shame that Monk shafted us.

Guest timrud
1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Really? You pick on Palmer? There were MUCH worse players this season. In no particular order.

1. Pelupessy 

2. Calamity Cam

3. Wildsmith

4. Odubajo

5. Rhodes

6. Bates 

7. Winnall

8. Lees

And that’s just off the top of my head. Palmer is a decent enough squad player for the Championship.

None of those are regulars.

I will pick you up on Tom Lees though. When we can back from lockdown we went to 3 at the back, which included Palmer. In EVERY game he would be playing people on and passing balls out of play or into the opposition. Most of the goals he was at fault for. We drop Palmer for Lees and we look far better and keep our first clean sheet.

If Palmer left there is no way he would get another championship club. He doesn't have the delivery or defensive ability of Fox. To round things up, the only time he put any kind of decent run together was when his contract was due. He's been here far too long and you have to speculate as to his contribution to the toxic negative changing room we have.

49 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Main problem areas are keeper and central midfield as it offers no protection to the defence. We missed Westwood and Hutchinson big time.

As for the attacking players, Nuhui and Windass were good squad players who did their roles well, but they aren’t big players for the team and we don’t have many of those left. Bannan can’t do it all himself, Reach doesn’t get a look in under Monk, Murphy is decent but Harris is pretty poor. He started well for the first few games, had a great debut at Reading and that made some think he’s a decent player. But he’s had no goals or assists for about 30 games so he brings nothing to the team.

We don’t have the balance right as a collective, and then as individuals performances fell off because of this. Iorfa, Borner, Palmer, Fox etc should be good enough for a mid table side at this level. Get a proper ball winner in midfield and a keeper who communicates and leads the defence and organisation will

improve ten fold. Just a shame that Monk shafted us.

I can’t disagree with you LondonOwl but I’ve gone over the games we played after the restart and we created a bagful of chances that were spoilt by woeful shooting, bad decision making in the final 1/3rd and a total lack of football intelligence.

It either showed our attacking force as weak, uninspiring and lacking in the basic principle that to win we need to score more than he opposition.

That said to leak the number of goals that we did the defence needs a general overall.

2 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Set off well, form fell off dramatically, had a decent end of season though nowhere near as good many on here claim. I mean if he was that good we would have had better results

We conceded two goals per game this year, what do you want him to do, score a hat-trick every week?

You are spot on in saying he set off well then struggled but in 2020 I'd argue he was easily our best player and even when it wasn't coming off for him you could clearly see a level of effort above some of those around him. 

27 minutes ago, timrud said:

I will pick you up on Tom Lees though. When we can back from lockdown we went to 3 at the back, which included Palmer. In EVERY game he would be playing people on and passing balls out of play or into the opposition. Most of the goals he was at fault for. We drop Palmer for Lees and we look far better and keep our first clean sheet.

If Palmer left there is no way he would get another championship club. He doesn't have the delivery or defensive ability of Fox. To round things up, the only time he put any kind of decent run together was when his contract was due. He's been here far too long and you have to speculate as to his contribution to the toxic negative changing room we have.

Lees did have two good games, but the last two games that followed that was awful. Conceded 5 at Fulham and what he did for the MIddlesbrough goal was inexplicable. 

29 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

Technically, best winger we have, but he’s got a footballing brain, which is always a bonus!

*had.

32 minutes ago, timrud said:

I think we could of picked our 3 fans to play at the back against QPR when Lees came back in with Hugill missing. They were absolutely awful. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
3 hours ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

let's not turn it into a slagging topic of individuals.

Was actually just trying to support Palmer. He gets crap in here yet there are far worse players.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, timrud said:

Doesn’t matter whether they were regulars or not they were all WORSE this season. Lees did ok last few games but was appalling overall, much worse than Liam over the WHOLE season.

Guest timrud
1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Doesn’t matter whether they were regulars or not they were all WORSE this season. Lees did ok last few games but was appalling overall, much worse than Liam over the WHOLE season.

I beg to differ, but thats what a discussion forum is all about - debating different points of view.

When was Palmer's last outstanding game? Honest question - I'm happy to be swayed here.

3 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Lees did have two good games, but the last two games that followed that was awful. Conceded 5 at Fulham and what he did for the MIddlesbrough goal was inexplicable. 

Lees struggles in a three, whether on the right, or in the middle. In fact we look porous with this system, but that’s maybe because we don’t have the right blend. If we play a regular back four, then we are only short of a left back, and everyone looks a lot more comfortable

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Well you say this but various people thought Murphy was good, windass was good, Harris was good etc etc, I am sorry but if we had so many good players we wouldn't have had such poor results

The problem is as a player you can have a cracker of a game, but if the other 10 have stinkers, don't perform  or average performance your not going to win very often. 

Our problem was even when individuals played well we didn't perform to the required level to get results as a team. 

Fo example you can as a striker score a couple of goals, but if the shambles at the back let's 3/4 in your going to stil lose. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shezzas left peg said:

The problem is as a player you can have a cracker of a game, but if the other 10 have stinkers, don't perform  or average performance your not going to win very often. 

Our problem was even when individuals played well we didn't perform to the required level to get results as a team. 

Fo example you can as a striker score a couple of goals, but if the shambles at the back let's 3/4 in your going to stil lose. 

I thought he was one of the players that was more ok than rubbish, he was 5/10 when most of the team were 3/10

• Haha 1