Jacob Murphy

On 08/08/2020 at 10:40, Kagoshimaowl said:

Really? You pick on Palmer? There were MUCH worse players this season. In no particular order.

1. Pelupessy 

2. Calamity Cam

3. Wildsmith

4. Odubajo

5. Rhodes

6. Bates 

7. Winnall

8. Lees

And that’s just off the top of my head. Palmer is a decent enough squad player for the Championship.

Can't really include Bates played one game which we won. The real question has to be why did we even bring him here?.

• Like 1

Really? You pick on Palmer? There were MUCH worse players this season. In no particular order.

1. Pelupessy 

2. Calamity Cam

3. Wildsmith

4. Odubajo

5. Rhodes

6. Bates 

7. Winnall

8. Lees

And that’s just off the top of my head. Palmer is a decent enough squad player for the Championship.

Can't really include Bates played one game which we won. The real question has to be why did we even bring him here?.

1. Pelupessy 

2. Calamity Cam

3. Wildsmith

4. Odubajo

5. Rhodes

6. Bates 

7. Winnall

8. Lees

And a Wednesday fan. We need a bit of that. He’s one of our own.

If only we had a decent keeper and a good defensive midfielder, I think we would concede a lot less. Then you don’t have to worry about needing to score three or four goals every game. 

If only we had had those two players?

Why do we always have to pick out Palmer? he may not be the perfect full-back we long for, but don't forget that for at least half of last season he was playing out of position (Left Back instead of Right) and doing a fair job of it. 

He will never be International class, and if a better replacement came up at the right price, I would be the first to say yes. Until then, there are others who need replacing.

4 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Why do we always have to pick out Palmer? he may not be the perfect full-back we long for, but don't forget that for at least half of last season he was playing out of position (Left Back instead of Right) and doing a fair job of it. 

He will never be International class, and if a better replacement came up at the right price, I would be the first to say yes. Until then, there are others who need replacing.

And yet has multiple caps for Scotland, we do love to talk down our payers. 

On 08/08/2020 at 11:09, Ellis Rimmer said:

Well you say this but various people thought Murphy was good, windass was good, Harris was good etc etc, I am sorry but if we had so many good players we wouldn't have had such poor results

Murphy provided some excellent service but we rarely had anyone to put the ball in the net .. and he scored a few himself . 
the poor results came from an abysmal defence. 
Going forward and pressing we were pretty good ( particularly after the break) 

• Like 2

Murphy for me at times was one of a few stand outs for us last season. Along with Iorfa; Bannan, Fox and Fletcher. It would be disappointing to have only a couple of those stand out players next season. I hope we can somehow get Murphy back on loan if possible but on the other hand, I'd like to see more of Luongo and to see more athleticism; pace, solidity, ball players and battlers in the team. The likes of Murphy, Luongo and Iorfa, showed what we lacked in the team ever since Wembley, and we need a bit more of those types of athletic dynamic players. 

Murphy suited us as did at times Harris and Windass. If we can get some more athletic dynamic young players in like Dele-Bashiru and mix it up a bit with some solid battlers and versatile dynamic attackers, replace Fletcher and finally get a midfield beast. We'd potentially be a more balanced side. It would be disappointing to not get Murphy back but if we can't we could still get someone similar or younger in on loan or out of contract.

I think the most important thing going forward is getting players in to fit how we want to play and having a good blend of youth; experience, solidity, pace and goals in the squad. It will take time but hopefully we'll be more forward thinking and more effective as a team, and build something sensibly and progressively, on and off the pitch. 

Edited by The Night-Owl

5 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

I'm sure he is

I don’t recall seeing him have a good game in that role. His positioning is terrible defensively, although to be fair to him, he does track back. Most of his good work was done further forward, or when he was introduced from the bench  He is excellent when at one on one, so play to his strengths, use him as a winger who can track back

Edited by gurujuan

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I really liked Murphy, but if we are playing three at the back, there isn’t a role for him He isn’t a wingback

Before the lockdown I would have said the same but he played much better after the restart when we used three at the back.

Just now, mogbad said:

Before the lockdown I would have said the same but he played much better after the restart when we used three at the back.

Not defensively he didn’t All his good work, the things we remember, was done further forward