Atdhe Nuhiu - The Real Stats

16 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

errrr.....

Just go by goals scored (and assists) per minutes on the pitch?

We're going back about 3 or 4 seasons here but i once did a spreadsheet of goals scored as a team per minute with and without him and goals conceded as a team per minute with or without him.

At the time we scored 1.5 times as much with him on the pitch and also conceded about half the goals than without him on the pitch. Turns out having someone who can challenge for a ball when we clear it and keep it in the opposition half helps you win football matches. Who knew?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

We're going back about 3 or 4 seasons here but i once did a spreadsheet of goals scored as a team per minute with and without him and goals conceded as a team per minute with or without him.

At the time we scored 1.5 times as much with him on the pitch and also conceded about half the goals than without him on the pitch. Turns out having someone who can challenge for a ball when we clear it and keep it in the opposition half helps you win football matches. Who knew?

We saw clear evidence of that last night when we capitulated after he went off

Owlstalk Shop

8 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Here's a couple more for you:

Tudgay - 52 goals in 187 matches = 0.28

Forestieri - 40 goals in 101 matches = 0.40

For Nuhiu, I reckon he's played the equivalent of 154 full matches. Also think he scored an extra against Preston in 2015 (goal was credited Pudil, and as scabby a goal poaching 'Nugent' as it was, Nuhiu clearly kicked it in on the line, before it had crossed the line, so he should be credited with 51 goals). So Nuhiu - 51 goals in 154 matches = 0.33

image.png.cae3f5b3f7e40d8b8daa68fdb2ce5f1f.png

So if you are working it on full game you should also be factoring in that a lot of Nuihu goals come when he comes on as sub, were as most of Hirst goals were scored when he started games if you look at Nuihus stats over the last 3 season when starting games they don't make for great reading.

2019/20 - 14 starts 1 goal

2018/19 - 14 starts 2 goals

2017/18 - 15 starts 10 goals

2016/17 - 2 starts  0 goals

so in the last 4 season out of 184 possible league games he has started just 45 or 24% that is a lot less than other players at the club who are meant to be injury prone, he has been fit for most of that time but successive managers have not deem him good enough to play, other than Jos at the end of the 17/18 when he and Joao scored the goals to keep us up.

How you can compare this bloke to Hirst god only knows.

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

So if you are working it on full game you should also be factoring in that a lot of Nuihu goals come when he comes on as sub, were as most of Hirst goals were scored when he started games if you look at Nuihus stats over the last 3 season when starting games they don't make for great reading.

What difference does that make? Do the goals widen for substitutes? Does it only count as half a goal in the final score? And he's made more than half his appearances from the bench, so it can't come as that big of a surprise? The utter desperation of some to 'prove' he's the worst player we've ever had or whatever is thoroughly embarrassing and says everything about their lack of objectivity.

The statistics are what they are - interesting, but not conclusive about anything. Anyone who treats them as irrefutable will just get tied in knots of contradictory logic. Even Nuhiu's mother wouldn't say he's in the same category as Hirst, whatever these numbers are. About all we can say is that those suggesting he was somehow uniquely unable to score goals are wrong. He's an average player on a mediocre team scoring at a modest rate. i don't get the clamour.

Dem Blades' strikers have combined for just 22 goals this season between them, yet they'll have their highest league finish in almost half a century. Last time we had someone who scored 20 in a season, we finished 16th in League One. That's really all that matters. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

2019/20 - 14 starts 1 goal

2018/19 - 14 starts 2 goals

2017/18 - 15 starts 10 goals

2016/17 - 2 starts  0 goals

so in the last 4 season out of 184 possible league games he has started just 45 or 24% that is a lot less than other players at the club who are meant to be injury prone, he has been fit for most of that time but successive managers have not deem him good enough to play, other than Jos at the end of the 17/18 when he and Joao scored the goals to keep us up.

How you can compare this bloke to Hirst god only knows.

Where have I compared him to Hirst? I compared him to Tudgay.

All your selective stats prove is that Nuhiu scores roughly one every three games, which is the same as what I posted.

And the whole point of having a super-sub is that he doesn't start many league games. You could say the same thing about Francis, Fairclough, Solskjaer that they didn't start many games - doesn't make them bad players!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

We saw clear evidence of that last night when we capitulated after he went off

He was no worse than Wickham last night and performed much better than him when the pair came on against Fulham so I was surprised to see it was Nuhiu who got the hook.

Though that doesn't take into account the Wickham long-throw weapon that Monk had up his sleeve! 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

He was no worse than Wickham last night and performed much better than him when the pair came on against Fulham so I was surprised to see it was Nuhiu who got the hook.

Though that doesn't take into account the Wickham long-throw weapon that Monk had up his sleeve! 

Yeah the Wickham Rocket was a bit of a surprise

lol

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Grandad said:

Hes a 15 minute cameo player. Useless when he starts a game as he demonstrated last night

But as useful, if not more so, than the the only striker we now have left.

17 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

errrr.....

Just go by goals scored (and assists) per minutes on the pitch?

That can be a bit harsh on Nuhiiu given the number of times he was thrown on the pitch under previous manager in the final 10 minutes or so to defend the position rather than do anything in an attacking sense.

Guest Grandad
2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

But as useful, if not more so, than the the only striker we now have left.

Absolutely

Although by far the best game I saw this season was as good as it was because of his first half hat trick

I don't understand the hate that he gets. He always gave 100%, was always available and offered us a different approach to a game.

Defenders hated him and despite a lack of goals, he offered our other forwards that little bit of extra space needed to create a chance as he dragged defenders over to him.

Not to forget his clumsiness that more often or not would result in a surprising bit of skill that I think even he wasn't expecting. 

And THAT goal at Preston. We were all expecting him to keep it in the corner and out of nowhere he turned on his Messi and shocked us all.

Hats off to the big man. He will be missed

• Love 1

This whole forum has turned poisonous! people Just waiting for someone to post something that they and their little gang don’t like Nuhiu isn’t the best striker we’ve had by a long chalk but the guy has a heart as big as an Ox the rest of the players love him who do they search out and run to (when he’s on the the touch line warming up) when they’ve just scored,the guy has ,(wether the haters like it or not)won us some games lifted the team spirit on and of the field And had the crowd on it’s feet cheering,So before you start to rip my post apart ,I for one would like to thank Atdhe for his time and effort he has shown my club Thanks lad and good luck 

Atdhe has been a fantastic servant to our club. Of course other strikers of ours have been more likely to score WHEN FIT TO PLAY. Hooper and Hirst were both great strikers but often injured. Players need to be available. The best strikers on the world have limited use if they are always in the treatment room. Atdhe was seldom injured.

Sad for me that Nuhiu is moving on but I think it is the right thing for the club as we move forward.

As most have said he was great to bring on as sub but rarely had an impact when started.

We really are athe crossroads as a club and need to have long term plan and strategy as we move forward. We no longer have a target man  so I am hoping we will change our style to a team that can stretch other teams with pace and movement.

A big thanks to Atdhe as I do think he gave it is all for us. I am sure that another championship club with more money than us will have seen what he can do and take him on to do the same for them.

2 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

What difference does that make? Do the goals widen for substitutes? Does it only count as half a goal in the final score? And he's made more than half his appearances from the bench, so it can't come as that big of a surprise? The utter desperation of some to 'prove' he's the worst player we've ever had or whatever is thoroughly embarrassing and says everything about their lack of objectivity.

The statistics are what they are - interesting, but not conclusive about anything. Anyone who treats them as irrefutable will just get tied in knots of contradictory logic. Even Nuhiu's mother wouldn't say he's in the same category as Hirst, whatever these numbers are. About all we can say is that those suggesting he was somehow uniquely unable to score goals are wrong. He's an average player on a mediocre team scoring at a modest rate. i don't get the clamour.

Dem Blades' strikers have combined for just 22 goals this season between them, yet they'll have their highest league finish in almost half a century. Last time we had someone who scored 20 in a season, we finished 16th in League One. That's really all that matters. 

If you look at Nuihu's stats most of his goals come from sub appearance, so to rate his as only playing 90 minutes over 5 sub appearance then compare him to another player who paid the full 90 is wrong. it should be like for like, as a starter he is rubbish as an impact sub he is better but to say he ranks similar to Hirst is a complete joke.

Subs come on when the other players are tired and the chances of scoring are better because of this, a good impact sub will score a lot more goals than one starting.

Didnt even notice he was playing last night.

Guy gives 100% but sadly its not a percentage that goes towards his ability as a striker when starting matches.

I dont care much for stats, had to endure his inability's as a striker, the mercenary goals have been great and im thankful for those but beyond that id rather we had someone more capable to stop this goal drought at home.