Atdhe Nuhiu - The Real Stats

How does Atdhe actually measure up in the pantheon of Sheffield Wednesday goalscorers?

To apply this test we have to consider how many 90 minute blocks Atdhe actually played. Why? Because before 1987 you could only have one substitute, meaning that every player on the pitch usually played 90 minutes. This increased to three in 1994-95 season, though one of them had to be goalkeeper. One season later, the three substitutes can be used for whatever reasons.

This means that comparing Atdhe to other players by minutes played is not very useful. Neither is Wikipedia because it only uses league stats. So we have to turn to Adrian Bullock's site, who includes all competitions. This of course, goes no further than the 1994-95 season, so sadly, we only have incomplete stats for our goalscorers David Hirst and Mark Bright, Carbone and Di Canio, Andy Booth, Steve McLaren, Marcus Tudgay etc. I don't have a copy of the Dickinson book so I'm not including them, but if someone wants to work it out feel free.

So how many 90 minute blocks as Atdhe actually played, and how many goals as he scored? Answer? Roughly 146 appearances and 50 goals. An average of 0.34 goals per match. 

How does this compare to Adrian Bullock's list.

image.thumb.png.2533ca83c0e52463f6edfee972124fd5.png

Don't blame me. I'm still furloughed...

Edited by Shooba
  • Like 1

image.png.185f976095724d7b6924008b0579276f.png

Must have accidentally deleted Hirst!

Bearing in mind that this is only correct of end of 1994-95 season so doesn't take into consideration his revival under Pleat. It also doesn't take into consideration how many minutes he actually played when he was a sub or subbed.

• Like 2

Nuhiu is what he is. But I'm not sure we'll find another 3rd/4th choice striker who has the ability to change a game from the bench like he can, adds an option not many other clubs can with his height, never moans about game time, wages etc., He also gives tired defenders nightmares when he comes jogging on after 70 minutes. A low risk assett we ought to be keeping imo. 

Good luck Atdhe!

Here's to you Atdhe Nuhiu!

• Like 9

Here's a couple more for you:

Tudgay - 52 goals in 187 matches = 0.28

Forestieri - 40 goals in 101 matches = 0.40

For Nuhiu, I reckon he's played the equivalent of 154 full matches. Also think he scored an extra against Preston in 2015 (goal was credited Pudil, and as scabby a goal poaching 'Nugent' as it was, Nuhiu clearly kicked it in on the line, before it had crossed the line, so he should be credited with 51 goals). So Nuhiu - 51 goals in 154 matches = 0.33

image.png.cae3f5b3f7e40d8b8daa68fdb2ce5f1f.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Here's a couple more for you:

Tudgay - 52 goals in 187 matches = 0.28

Forestieri - 40 goals in 101 matches = 0.40

For Nuhiu, I reckon he's played the equivalent of 154 full matches. Also think he scored an extra against Preston in 2015 (goal was credited Pudil, and as scabby a goal poaching 'Nugent' as it was, Nuhiu clearly kicked it in on the line, before it had crossed the line, so he should be credited with 51 goals). So Nuhiu - 51 goals in 154 matches = 0.33

image.png.cae3f5b3f7e40d8b8daa68fdb2ce5f1f.png

Screenshot_20200723-092727_YouTube.thumb.jpg.953f7c4472a2267bca13b5b3778b625b.jpg

Already over the line when Nuhiu kicks it.

Unlike many of our other players over the years, Nuhiu earned his corn.

Barely injured, always put in a real shift. Scored some vital goals.

Not sure what he cost us over the years but for bang for your buck he delivered.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Andrew_Owl said:

Screenshot_20200723-092727_YouTube.thumb.jpg.953f7c4472a2267bca13b5b3778b625b.jpg

Already over the line when Nuhiu kicks it.

(Apologies, from a large sample of pedantic posts, this is probably my most pedantic!)

It's not quite over the line, in that freeze frame above the ball is short of the line but in the air. Roll it on a couple of frames, this below, and the next frame is the moment he strikes the ball (which is still in the air). At the moment he makes contact his foot is short of the line, with maybe just his toes on the line (although its more like his instep which strikes the ball).

Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 08.02.53.png

15 hours ago, archieswfc said:

Nuhiu is what he is. But I'm not sure we'll find another 3rd/4th choice striker who has the ability to change a game from the bench like he can, adds an option not many other clubs can with his height, never moans about game time, wages etc., He also gives tired defenders nightmares when he comes jogging on after 70 minutes. A low risk assett we ought to be keeping imo. 

Good luck Atdhe!

Here's to you Atdhe Nuhiu!

Exactly.

It's a really odd choice to not keep him, unless he's wanting regular first team football somewhere and we cant really give him that if we want to go for youth/pace instead up top.

If he's happy being a squad player , a plan B player... I just dont think he will be properly replaced - plus I fear as a character he'll be missed in the dressing room just like Semedo, Loovens, Wallace etc is.

In fairness, Monk himself seems to want to keep him.

Edited by davey_wells