Garry Monk “It’s about having the right mindset to change it and having a stronger mentality."

Screenshot 2020-06-26 at 14.04.46.jpg

Garry Monk is looking to build on his side’s positive performance against Nottingham Forest last time out when they face Bristol City at Ashton Gate on Sunday.

Connor Wickham’s late equaliser earned a point in a game that could easily have seen the Owls come out on top, and the manager has been pleased with the squad’s preparation ahead of the hectic fixture schedule.

Monk said: “We’ve had another full week to prepare which is good. Then after this we have little time between games.

“That’s the challenge for all of us, it’s a little bit strange. But I think we look good, the players have worked incredibly hard to be in as good a condition as possible and we showed that in the last game.

“We were very unlucky not to win the game last week. We’ll be showing the same attitude as we did against Forest and we know we can beat those types of teams that are above us in the league. We have a lot of games against teams above us and it’s an opportunity to drag them closer to us.”

Monk praised the attitude of his players for coming back after lockdown with a refreshed outlook, and is looking forward to seeing the positive effect their mindset has on the pitch.

He added: “The lockdown period was a good time to reflect. From being third at Christmas to what happened after that, it’s an opportunity to change their own situation.

“It’s about having the right mindset to change it and having a stronger mentality. That’s what I’ve seen in the last three or four weeks. I credit the players for that.

“I feel positive with the players that are here and that are committed. The majority of the group came back in a good condition and that showed in the first game.

“It’s a big opportunity for all the players. Whether you have a contract for 10 years or just until the end of the season, as a player you should always be playing for your future.

“There’s a number of players who have come back with a renewed focus and know what they want to achieve.”

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

Try not telling half the squad there not getting new contracts half way through the season and falling out with players because they don't have the right mentality! Monks interview on radio Sheffield at the time said it all. Words to the effect of I can only be honest if they can hack that they shouldn't be here. It's your job to create the right mentality and get the best out of what you have. He failed massively, that's besides depending on Fletcher's good form to get results while playing crap! And that's before Christmas! Under him the squad fell apart. I have no confidence in him or anything he touches. Sick if wasting money and time on crap football that gets us no where. We have found our selves back to position we had before Chansiri. Tactics, selection, attitude and man management skills. In ability to do a press conference that can inspire or take responsibility for his team. Second half of season collapse. 

Have we forgotten who Wednesday are, look at the teams of our size, look at the pigs! We have been in darkness for far far too long! We have become a club that accepts being out of the premiership and looks on from afar with envious eyes. Start thinking big and do what we need to get promotion. Serious manager, serious recruitment, real leadership. And please please something worth watching on the pitch worth all the money we pay. NO MORE DROSS!!! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ashley8 said:

In ability to do a press conference that can inspire or take responsibility for his team.

Ok  let's look at your post point by point

Let's start with this one shall we...

You tell me where he's not taken responsibility for the team, show me the examples

Let's see if you're talking facts here or just emotional nonsense..

Show me where he's not taken responsibility for the team 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Despite have previously admitted to being "embarrassed" by the performances of some of his players, Monk placed the blame for defeat at Kenilworth Road squarely on himself.

"It's my responsibility, I'm not here to pin anything on anyone," he said. "The buck stops with the manager"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51488751#:~:text=Garry Monk accepts he is,stretched to five league games.

Took me literally 10 seconds to prove your point to be totally incorrect

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

why do they come out with guff like this ?just keep stum  go down to Bristol and get a result. 

Are you kidding? Let the club make no public statements for a week and watch what happens on here. Only yesterday there was a pile on because we had the temerity not to be the first club in the country to announce which players were being retained beyond the June 30th contract deadline. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

Every successful team we’ve had in my lifetime of following Wednesday since the 80s have had 3 basic things in common:

1. Team spirit & character.

2. Leadership.

3. Really committed, hungry players.

Add to that a splattering of some actual talent and that’s me happy. That’s all I ask for, I’d be happy with that.

Anyone thinking that spending big bucks is the answer is wrong. 

No excuses now 

He has the rest of the season to prove he is the man to take us forward and show some sort of plan on what football he wants

The football and results have been shocking 

The stoppage saved him his job 

Do I want him as manager next season? 

No

But if he gets the results 

Now the 'problem' players are out then he should be given a chance 

I don't hold much hope tho 

• Like 1

On 26/06/2020 at 14:05, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-06-26 at 14.04.46.jpg

Garry Monk is looking to build on his side’s positive performance against Nottingham Forest last time out when they face Bristol City at Ashton Gate on Sunday.

Connor Wickham’s late equaliser earned a point in a game that could easily have seen the Owls come out on top, and the manager has been pleased with the squad’s preparation ahead of the hectic fixture schedule.

Monk said: “We’ve had another full week to prepare which is good. Then after this we have little time between games.

“That’s the challenge for all of us, it’s a little bit strange. But I think we look good, the players have worked incredibly hard to be in as good a condition as possible and we showed that in the last game.

“We were very unlucky not to win the game last week. We’ll be showing the same attitude as we did against Forest and we know we can beat those types of teams that are above us in the league. We have a lot of games against teams above us and it’s an opportunity to drag them closer to us.”

Monk praised the attitude of his players for coming back after lockdown with a refreshed outlook, and is looking forward to seeing the positive effect their mindset has on the pitch.

He added: “The lockdown period was a good time to reflect. From being third at Christmas to what happened after that, it’s an opportunity to change their own situation.

“It’s about having the right mindset to change it and having a stronger mentality. That’s what I’ve seen in the last three or four weeks. I credit the players for that.

“I feel positive with the players that are here and that are committed. The majority of the group came back in a good condition and that showed in the first game.

“It’s a big opportunity for all the players. Whether you have a contract for 10 years or just until the end of the season, as a player you should always be playing for your future.

“There’s a number of players who have come back with a renewed focus and know what they want to achieve.”

Who you trying to kid Monk??? Because you don't sound very convincing to me. Players mindset, convinced their motivated, majority come back fit. Sounds like a man who's hoping rather than believes what he's saying.

5 hours ago, full fathom five said:

Who you trying to kid Monk??? Because you don't sound very convincing to me. Players mindset, convinced their motivated, majority come back fit. Sounds like a man who's hoping rather than believes what he's saying.

I don't think he's kidding anyone.  It's pretty evident, old malcontents can get to stepping.

13 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

If he does manage to turn things around and ends up staying then it will be a first for me. His tenure was going the way of most Wednesday managers -confidence shot and getting beat 8-10 games on the bounce. Love for once to see someone succeed.

Only in rare cases does a manager turn a run like this around. The break may have done him a solid as pre COVID we were capitulating and dropping like a stone. We improved last week and maybe getting rid of "his" unwanted players will help him more than the team but we will see today if we are any different footballing wise. 

34 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not going to criticise him for that, but he needs to back this up with results Last week was a small step in the right direction though, but it’s wins we need

Absolutely. The remaining players need to bust a gut to be getting results, especially in our current predicament. Whilst I like to hear Monk wanting to see committment etc, saying and doing are two different things. I'm fearful that our current crop don't have a fight in them, and if we do get even a 9 point deduction for example whilst still giving us a fighting chance, I worry it would be the final nail in the coffin.

If we can capitulate from 3rd at Christmas then we're in the cart. 

On 27/06/2020 at 01:10, torryowl said:

why do they come out with guff like this ?just keep stum  go down to Bristol and get a result. 

Because I agree with him. Mindset is a big part of football and absent our wonderboys of the early 90s, I don't recall in nearly 50 yrs of supporting, our team ever consistently giving off the aura of a positive mindset. I can think of plenty of examples however where the performances were below par because the players seemed to fear making mistakes.

This is not a bash the team post. I've rabbited on about this before. The mental side of our team and game (I wonder how many negs use of that expression would have got me) needs more attention.