Chris Waddle says scrap the Championship season

Chris Waddle Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

“Personally, I think they should pull the plug on all the leagues and start again in August,” he told BBC Radio 5 Live on Tuesday night.

“The Dutch have said they are finishing their league and the French have said they are finishing their league.

“This is where the trouble starts now. Just an example, Paris, are still the best team in France, but they haven’t been as good this year as in previous years.

“But say they lost two in a row, which they could do. Marseille then go on a run and catch them. Same with bottom of the league. We could make that up with the 10 or nine games left.

“I just think it is an unbelievable season and no one saw this coming and me personally I think all the leagues should do like Holland and say 'we are stopping it'.

“You can’t expect players to play in June and then what are we going to do to put the season back a month or so?

“What if it is not available in June? What if this is still around? People don’t want to play behind closed doors.

“It has become farcical and I respect what Holland and the French have done. I think that is the way forward.

“Unfortunately, Liverpool would have easily won the league and I’m not saying they wouldn’t, but if you say to Liverpool there is the trophy, which is what everyone thinks is right and I’m not arguing about that.

But then you say who is going to get relegated? Who is going to get the Champions League places? There is too much at stake and there are too many arguments which will start.

“Unfortunately you have got to put it down to circumstances and say this is a one off, hopefully, and it never happened."

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Nope

I'm still going with the other thread where it finishes half way and we go up third.

I'll sue if it's owt else.

If they don't finish the leagues then the courts might get very busy.

I honestly don't know where football goes from here.  What ever happens someone is going to lose out.

11 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I honestly don't know where football goes from here.  What ever happens someone is going to lose out.

How busy are the courts in countries where the league has already been cancelled??

Unfortunately it's all about ££s in this country....scared witless sky will want their £760m back, when most clubs have spent this year's money already

Just now, nbupperthongowl said:

How busy are the courts in countries where the league has already been cancelled??

Unfortunately it's all about ££s in this country....scared witless sky will want their £760m back, when most clubs have spent this year's money already

Yes, Sky is going to want their money's worth and who can blame them?

Its right old mess.

On the face of it they should just void the season, but if I was in Liverpool or Leeds position, I'd be straight on the phone to my solicitor. 

Saw a tweet from Jamie Carragher saying would it be fair on Liverpool if the league was cancelled. 

Someone replied was it fair on all the clubs ( including us) who missed put on Europe because of them.

Got to say my sympathy bypass usually kicks in regarding Liverpool. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Saw a tweet from Jamie Carragher saying would it be fair on Liverpool if the league was cancelled. 

Someone replied was it fair on all the clubs ( including us) who missed put on Europe because of them.

Got to say my sympathy bypass usually kicks in regarding Liverpool. 

Saw a tweet the other week that wound the scousers up which basically said, if it was any club other than Liverpool at the top of the league, they’d have absolutely no hesitation with scrapping the league - hard to disagree.

2 minutes ago, Carbone said:

Saw a tweet the other week that wound the scousers up which basically said, if it was any club other than Liverpool at the top of the league, they’d have absolutely no hesitation with scrapping the league - hard to disagree.

No chance is there any bias towards any club

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

No chance is there any bias towards any club

You should know at a Wednesday fan that Liverpool have been on the receiving end of a love in from all angles and had their terrible history of hooliganism ignored (that saw us banned from Europe) because of the Hillsborough disaster..

Just now, Carbone said:

You should know at a Wednesday fan that Liverpool have been on the receiving end of a love in from all angles and had their terrible history of hooliganism ignored (that saw us banned from Europe) because of the Hillsborough disaster..

I think there's more of a victim mentality from Wednesday fans about scousers than there is a victim mentality amongst scousers themselves.

Wednesday fans never seem to shut up about em..

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

The courts would rule in favour of the league bodies - they would have to otherwise there will be a lot more than football banging on their doors I'm afraid