Chris Waddle says scrap the Championship season

51 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

What happens if Sky ask for their money? The knock on effect could be massive.

Then so be it, if they have paid for a product they haven't received, like of lot of businesses will have done in this crisis then the clubs will have to face the consequences, perhaps if they hadn't been paying millions in wages for players to do nothing, it wouldn't make any difference

And why should be football be different from any other business

4 minutes ago, the third man said:

Then so be it, if they have paid for a product they haven't received, like of lot of businesses will have done in this crisis then the clubs will have to face the consequences, perhaps if they hadn't been paying millions in wages for players to do nothing, it wouldn't make any difference

Would be ironic if Sky, the company that "created the premier league" was the company that essentially destroyed it.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, trev said:

Would be ironic if Sky, the company that "created the premier league" was the company that essentially destroyed it.

Sky need The Premier League as much as The Premier League need them.  Will just negotiate a deal to suit.

Edited by pazowl55

26 minutes ago, the third man said:

Nor arguing about that just the ramifications of it all.

48 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

One interesting opinion I saw mooted was for the current season to be rolled into next. The top club's would have their head start with the strugglers starting a full season of fixtures conversely handicapped. I don't know about its practicality but it has a hint of fairness that I've not seen otherwise suggested.

Would kill the PL as Liverpool have such a massive advantage, and it means causing problems with two seasons

wouldn't solve the problems of the Sky money either

6 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Agree but if you was a Leeds fan you're gonna feel very miffed and whilst l'll happily laugh at Leeds fan should they miss out, imagine if it happened to Wednesday, would you just shrug your shoulders and say 'Oh well'?  Maybe you would but plenty wouldn't. 

We did have to say Oh well after the jolly scousers decided to fight instead of watch football in Heysel.

I can see there being a second and maybe third wave and so I think next season is in doubt as well. Think about, it only takes one person with coronavirus to go outside and then everyone gets it again. It spreads like wildfire and there is no containing it. IMO the only way football will start again will be when there is a vaccine and everyone has been vaccinated. 

10 minutes ago, owl_83 said:

I can see there being a second and maybe third wave and so I think next season is in doubt as well. Think about, it only takes one person with coronavirus to go outside and then everyone gets it again. It spreads like wildfire and there is no containing it. IMO the only way football will start again will be when there is a vaccine and everyone has been vaccinated. 

This is all true,when you have ex professionals calling into question the validity of this season being finished in any guise and at any  time,you then have to question the folks running football and why "it" thinks it differs from any other walk of life/profession.

There are teams making decisions on who they are retaining NOW,not at seasons end.

Am pretty dam sick about the whole "Bubble" it lives in to be honest.

Edited by BARMYARMY2010

3 minutes ago, peter108 said:

is it poss to cancel next season 2020/2021 and then finish this season as soon as its safe?   stagger remaining league games, finish this seasons fa cup. start fa cup,  leage cup in say december january  2021. arrange england friendly games say after xmas.   start the 21-22 season as normal. thoughs please.

Ok, what would you do about player contracts ending end of June this year? Who would go into the 20/21 champions league? You cant just cancel a whole season. As I've said previously, why ruin 2 seasons of football, end this one now and start a fresh on September 1st if back to some sort of normality. 

The problems

• COVID 19  No telling how long this will go on.
  • Financial melt down will maybe lead to a complete restructuring of football, a perfect opportunity to bring it all back under one umbrella.
  • Contracts running down.
  •  Player acquisitions very risky.
  •  Social distancing may run for quite a while yet.
  •  survival of 92/91 league structure under severe threat.
  •  Particular difficulties for players at either end of the age spectrum.
  •  The crisis is more impacting than Wartime Football where the turnstiles kept clicking, this is not an option today.   

Good chance next season won’t happen, it certainly won’t be the same...

And yet people can’t make a decision to cancel this season.

Certainly can’t see Europe happening next season so the European places aren’t worth fighting for.

They need to be concentrating on what happens next season, clubs have to start preparing soon.

This summer will be a hard one for clubs and players. With questionable incomes next season and losses from this season there will be a big changes coming...

* Lots of players without clubs next season.

* Clubs with much smaller squads.

* Transfer fees will fall.

* Agents will have to earn their money.
* Clubs will go to the wall without support from the game.

Can also see lots of ‘Investors’ and sponsors withdrawing from the game.

I can’t see pubs opening back up this year and yet here we are talking about football kicking off in August, let alone finishing this season.

• Like 4

I think we'll do some form of what the French and Belgians have done - end the season but reflect results to date. It's an unenviable decision to have to make - the French Government made half of the decision for the French League. That'll probably be what happens here. The French didn't act until the Government ruled finishing the season off. The Germans and Italians are probably waiting for the same thing and it wouldn't surprise me if that's what our clubs are hanging on for.