Chris Waddle says scrap the Championship season

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Yes, Sky is going to want their money's worth and who can blame them?

Its right old mess.

On the face of it they should just void the season, but if I was in Liverpool or Leeds position, I'd be straight on the phone to my solicitor. 

No way that any club can sue in this current crisis. Its a "natural" disaster , tough but they will after to suck it up. Imagine the vitriol towards

clubs wanting to take legal recourse from everywhere not just football fans.  

2 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

It's called a football forum and Waddle is highly regarded by most of us Owls fans so it carries weight hence why it gets commented on (lots)

Yeah like the 'Waddle on five live' thread about him growing a mullet. 

1 hour ago, trev said:

Absolutely this.

I think they have to be seen to try...have to give it every chance.

But deep down they know it's done.

When the chief medical officer of Fifa says football shouldn't be played until Sept. It's over.

Bundesliga will try first and fail. Then the rest will fold.

Not going to happen, now the virus is on the rise there again.

1 minute ago, Asio otus said:

No way that any club can sue in this current crisis. Its a "natural" disaster , tough but they will after to suck it up. Imagine the vitriol towards

clubs wanting to take legal recourse from everywhere not just football fans.  

Agree but if you was a Leeds fan you're gonna feel very miffed and whilst l'll happily laugh at Leeds fan should they miss out, imagine if it happened to Wednesday, would you just shrug your shoulders and say 'Oh well'?  Maybe you would but plenty wouldn't. 

43 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Heysel isn't allowed to be mentioned. Never happened. It wasn't Liverpool fans that killed 39 Italians.

It was always referred to as "the Heysel riot" until the Hillsborough disaster when it slowly morphed into "the Heysel Disaster", then was conveniently forgotten about.

I did see mentioned in a BBC  article referencing the Everton title winning team that couldnt play in Europe because of the ban. The wording didn't make it clear that the Liverpool fans were the culprits.

Whitewashing.  

• Thanks 1

Guest wilyfox

I think if they can resume in June, they will. Legal minefield if the season is void or ends on current standings. EPL revenue opportunities are so vast that clubs won't accept premature relegation or being denied promotion. Same goes for Europe qualification places. Sky could well take exception paying for coverage they're not getting, and seek to trim funding significantly. The potential fallout for not concluding leagues in this country is huge. 

37 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I think if they can resume in June, they will. Legal minefield if the season is void or ends on current standings. EPL revenue opportunities are so vast that clubs won't accept premature relegation or being denied promotion. Same goes for Europe qualification places. Sky could well take exception paying for coverage they're not getting, and seek to trim funding significantly. The potential fallout for not concluding leagues in this country is huge. 

Look at what Holland and France have done - if HMG want to quash this they can and quite easily

56 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Agree but if you was a Leeds fan you're gonna feel very miffed and whilst l'll happily laugh at Leeds fan should they miss out, imagine if it happened to Wednesday, would you just shrug your shoulders and say 'Oh well'?  Maybe you would but plenty wouldn't. 

Makes no difference at the end of the day, peoples lives are important. Of course wouldnt be happy but that pales into insignificance for those who have lost loved ones.

23 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

pales into insignificance for those who have lost loved ones.

It does but that's the same as any period - it's just the relative unimportance of football is revealed for all of us rather than the people going through personal, unrecognised tragedies.

My guess is they are prepping for a season they know probably isn't going to happen - like the Germans and Italians. The issue will be what happens to the season that gets stopped - and I think Liverpool are the least of their worries. Winning the League in front of empty stands is as hollow as it gets. In the long term they'll still be in the Champions League when it recommences whatever.

The real issue lies with teams that stand to gain something really substantial from finishing the season. Teams like Leicester, Leeds, West Brom, Coventry, Barrow even The Pigs. Promotion or European football is a massive prize to lose. 

The first arse covering step has to be for football to be effectively banned from returning by The Government. That's presumably what's allowed The French to make their move. If The Government say no football until September then the season presumably is over. That clears the first hurdle legally.

They then just have the small issue of following The Belgian or The Dutch route - to stick or to void - and both are fraught with difficulties in a legal and sporting sense. The best thing would have been for FIFA/UEFA to lay down a rule for all leagues to follow.  

Edited by rickygoo

Guest Mcguigan
1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

There’s still £60m of EPL (Sky money) solidarity payments to EFL clubs due at the end of the season.

If the decision to null & void this season is made, the EFL and it’s already cash strapped members can wave goodbye to that.

6 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Nope

I'm still going with the other thread where it finishes half way and we go up third.

I'll sue if it's owt else.

Completely agree. It’s the point in the season when everyone had played each other once. Top 3 go up bottom 3 in prem go down. Liverpool win the title job done, see you in August

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

If they don't finish the leagues then the courts might get very busy.

I honestly don't know where football goes from here.  What ever happens someone is going to lose out.

Not if the government say no live sport for say two months

would take us past the end of June which would mean it would be a different season with different players

Not getting money, or having to pay it back, is the only reason we are watching the slow death of this season

1 minute ago, the third man said:

Not if the government say no live sport for say two months

would take us past the end of June which would mean it would be a different season with different players

Not getting money, or having to pay it back, is the only reason we are watching the slow death of this season

What happens if Sky ask for their money? The knock on effect could be massive.

20 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

What happens if Sky ask for their money? The knock on effect could be massive.

You would hope, if it helped destroy clubs, Sky - unless they needed the cash desperately themselves - would hold off. They need to be covering some sports when all this ends. 

2 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

You would hope, if it helped destroy clubs, Sky - unless they needed the cash desperately themselves - would hold off. They need to be covering some sports when all this ends. 

Yes Sky have to look after their long term interests, so asking for it back straight away could be a bad move. 

There doesn't appear to a simple way out of the mess, how ever you look at it someone is going to lose out in a big way.

Asymptomatic will mean every player and staff turning up for the games will need testing.

Imagine a retrospective trace and track that pin points a football game as a resurgence outbreak event.

The testing is solely focused on front line key workers - football isn't a front line sector. Imagine the PL getting 10000 test kits in front of care home workers - good luck with that.

aint a clue whats going to happen with anything ,if it all gets cancelled and we know that its purely a money reason why prem want to restart for bt,sky and overseas tv revenue and sponsorship . if all that money stopped  that would also mean the payment from premier league to efl clubs would also stop. for football to survive all players contracts would need tearing up as the currant and future model does not support it in any way. im defo not in favour of behind closed doors games anyway , lets see what happens this next few weeks but I honestly believe that life has got to get fully back to normal by late summer and that means opening everything up , there sadly will be deaths from this for possibly years and at least for 18 months ,but 10 million unemployed ,mass crime , and a completely crippled country just isn't supported long term. I don't know what will happen in the future but unless some magic cure is given out to millions by September then business including football will be destroyed.