Odubajo "Sheffield Wednesday players put pressure on themselves"

59 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

not sure he’s complaining. It’s just a fact of being here and he’s not had to deal with it before. You only need to look at Morgan Fox who was nervous when he first arrived here and got a bad rep but there is a player there as shown recently 

He's not good enough and it sounds to me like he's using the crowd factor as an excuse for his abysmal performances

6 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

He's not good enough and it sounds to me like he's using the crowd factor as an excuse for his abysmal performances

I find this to be the default answer of a typical Wednesday fan whenever a player mentions the pressure of playing at Hillsborough in front of an expectant (usually described as ‘toxic’ by fans coming away from tough games) crowd 

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

I find this to be the default answer of a typical Wednesday fan whenever a player mentions the pressure of playing at Hillsborough in front of an expectant (usually described as ‘toxic’ by fans coming away from tough games) crowd 

Let's be honest if we released him tomorrow he'd get snapped up by a League One/Two club which is his level. There is a reason both Brentford & Hull let him go. I understand some of our fans are trying to be positive and giving him support but have his performances this season really been up to scratch?

He's a walking car crash. Everytime he goes near an opposition player it almost always results in a penalty

58 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Bannan can

Nuhiu can

Palmer can now

Fox can now

Any others?

I don’t think it’s as straight forward of who can and who can’t. It’s a collective effort and the squad in general is low on confidence. The core of the dressing room lost two play off finals in a row. Since then we haven’t really strengthened the team, if anything it has gone backwards. The past three seasons a lot of them have been expected to find that form they showed for two seasons under Carlos. In that third season when cracks started to show, they couldn’t handle the expectation placed on them. And it’s been downhill ever since minus a mini revival under a top draw manager in Bruce. 

We’ve signed a number of players since 2017 and I can only think of Iorfa who has genuinely an improvement on the squad we had assembled under Carlos. Whilst we’ve kept a number of the Play Off failures on and let them age and pick up good wages a long the way.

The mentality is way off and has been for sometime. The fact is these players away from the mental aspect, aren’t good enough to drag us out the poo when times get tough. We don’t have a Loovens or Semedo anymore. Or before that a Rob Jones, Miguel Llera, Reda Johnson who would not only put their testicles on the line but also show leadership.

Looking throughout our side I can’t see it anywhere. Borner is probably the closest. Then Bannan but he’s guilty of hiding when we’re up against it.

32 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

Let's be honest if we released him tomorrow he'd get snapped up by a League One/Two club which is his level. There is a reason both Brentford & Hull let him go. I understand some of our fans are trying to be positive and giving him support but have his performances this season really been up to scratch?

He's a walking car crash. Everytime he goes near an opposition player it almost always results in a penalty

He hasn't been great but we haven't conceded more than 2 in any game he has featured in and he has won 8 and only lost 3 of his 15 league games for us. I'd pick him as a lucky omen if nothing else given our results this year! 

1 hour ago, IWEDFM said:

I’ve seen him elsewhere at this level and he’s been more than good enough. Sometimes a move doesn’t click right away.

I’m not sure he is a classic rb though as he is much more effective on the overlap and we stifle that side of this game with our formation. 

1 hour ago, IWEDFM said:

Didnt he leave hull due to a serious knee injury? He was on a par with Robertson in the Hull side and caused us issues at Wembley too. Maybe he’s just not the same player now but many Brentford fans didn’t want to see him leave either he’s not even been here a season. 

Don’t like people writing players off when they’ve been here less than a year and had a stop start time.

Case and point: Lewis Buxton.

Buxton has also openly admitted that he’s struggled with self belief and confidence whilst at Wednesday. He turned it round through hard work and getting his head down and working on his mentality. It seems as though Moses is trying to do the same.

Me personally, unless things are absolutely tickity boo, the Hillsborough atmosphere is toxic. 

11 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Doesn’t wash with me. Some of these players have arguably played for bigger clubs 

A half empty morgue like Hillsborough shouldn’t be having any of them worried. They need to get a grip or find a different profession 

Right easy to say that innit tho

Owlstalk Shop

16 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

Sorry but I don't agree. Yes some players can be developed but Odubajo is not a kid at 26. If he isn't good enough then he isn't good enough. Maybe Monk could inspire more confidence granted but ability wise the boy isn't going to improve and there is a reason he's played for Brentford & Hull most of his career

He's mentally weak and his comments prove it. He should thrive on playing infront of 25k and not see it as a burden

This^^^

Why be a footballer when being exposed to crowds is meant to be part of the buzz of the job.

31 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

This^^^

Why be a footballer when being exposed to crowds is meant to be part of the buzz of the job.

I think it'd be a damn sight easier if it wasn't such a toxic crowd booing every mistake and looking to get on the players back every five seconds..

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313
6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think it'd be a damn sight easier if it wasn't such a toxic crowd booing every mistake and looking to get on the players back every five seconds..

When I listen to ex players turned pundits like Roy Keane or Gary Neville talk about it, you get the impression they’d thrive when the crowd was particularly nasty. Winners wouldn’t let it effect them and would use it to their advantage. 

Our players are losers who wilt under the pressure. We can feel for them or have concern for their mental health or whatever, but bottom line is we aren’t a charity we’re a professional club and would be better just getting rid and bringing in players that can handle it 

I remember reading a story in Roy of the Rovers where this star striker (not Roy), hated big crowds. He would be terrified before every game, then score 3 or 4 every game and as soon as the final whistle went would run down the tunnel and out of the stadium as quickly as possible.

So, there is some truth in it.

• Haha 2

On 24/04/2020 at 09:03, @owlstalk said:

Next time you’re at Hillsborough and you see Nuhiu warming up to come on just have a listen to the fans around you..

Next time you see a player checking his bank balance at a cash point take a look at yours as well, and ask yourself, what do i get paid for doing ?   -   Well.

One thing Wednesday fans LOVE to do and one thing we are really great at and that's justifying booing our own players

Owls fans love to justify it.

They can't get enough of it

Justification of booing our own players whilst they're trying to play football for us.

Owlstalk Shop

I think it's all about expectations, and managing them.

We are buying mid-lower championship players, and in some cases league 1 standard players, with a hope they settle in and improve, and gel together to push for the play offs.

Unfortunately, due to the bizarre policy of keeping many senior players too long, the dressing room becomes fraught, and the squad becomes bloated. The fans react because there's no clear strategy - i.e. bring in new players and blood and stick with them. Their confidence isn't affected because of the crowd or size of the club, it's because the management team haven't got a clear strategy of what they're doing. It may be that their hands are tied due to the owner's agent team pulling other contractual strings.

It all leads to frustration from the fans, who have seen this play out over the last three years, through to Monk, and finally the players.

It's not pressure - it's confusion.