Odubajo "Sheffield Wednesday players put pressure on themselves"

Odubajo Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

"It's been a tough journey so far in terms of being here," Odubajo told former teammate Kevin Lisbie during an Instagram Live video.

"Obviously coming back from injury is never great for anyone but being at a big club with a big fanbase comes with big pressure.

"The players may not say it but they put pressure on themselves.

"If you go away to somewhere like Derby it feels like you're playing at home because the away end is rammed!"

He added: "I feel like for me, this quarantine has made me realise and reflect on things that I need to improve on.

"I need to get back to enjoying the game again, like when I was playing on the fields with my brothers. Because when I play like that, then I'm at my best.

"But I'm injury-free now and I'm just working on stuff in the gym.

"All is good, I'm fit, healthy and ready to go."

Owlstalk Shop

Clealy lacks what is required to play for us. Complaining because we are a big club with a big fanbase and it's too much pressure for him

This is why we are struggling. Too many players like him on our books that are simply not good enough and can't handle the pressure of playing for a big club

4 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

Clealy lacks what is required to play for us. Complaining because we are a big club with a big fanbase and it's too much pressure for him

This is why we are struggling. Too many players like him on our books that are simply not good enough and can't handle the pressure of playing for a big club

Bad management, simple as that. 

A good manager would develop players to deal with the expectation and crowd. 

Monk is not up to it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, crookesowl said:

Monk is not up to it. 

Have a day off will ya

How can it be Monk's fault?

We can blame Monk for tactics, subs etc. but how can it be his fault if a player he didn't sign is mentally weak and isn't good enough for this level

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

Have a day off will ya

We can blame Monk for tactics, subs etc. but how can it be his fault if a player he didn't sign is mentally weak and isn't good enough for this level

It’s a managers job to develop players, to improve them, to guide them. Good managers do this every day. Not just in football in all walks of life. Sending someone out to do a job they are not prepared for in conditions they can not cope with is bad management. It can destroy an individual as we are seeing. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Plonk said:

It’s a managers job to develop players, to improve them, to guide them. Good managers do this every day. Not just in football in all walks of life. Sending someone out to do a job they are not prepared for in conditions they can not cope with is bad management. It can destroy an individual as we are seeing. 

Sorry but I don't agree. Yes some players can be developed but Odubajo is not a kid at 26. If he isn't good enough then he isn't good enough. Maybe Monk could inspire more confidence granted but ability wise the boy isn't going to improve and there is a reason he's played for Brentford & Hull most of his career

He's mentally weak and his comments prove it. He should thrive on playing infront of 25k and not see it as a burden

7 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

It's hard for Wednesday to get the players in with the right mentality.

We've seen many players wilt, hide and even crumble at Hillsbrough.

It’s half empty half of the time and quiet as anything. 

It’s hardly the Maracana when Argentina turn up to play Brazil. 

Odabaju hasn’t been good enough. Simple as that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

Have a day off will ya

Motivational skills are a major part of being a manager. Monk has none.

Edited by quinnssweetshop
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, crookesowl said:

Monk is not up to it. 

What if Monk IS successfully developing his mental strength to play with confidence at home?

Or are you just now claiming it is an overnight job to do that?

Owlstalk Shop

I really don’t get this whole pressure thing at Hillsborough. Lots of players and managers have mentioned it over the years and I can’t get my head around it. 

When we are doing well the atmosphere can be fantastic and that’s understandable. Unfortunately over the past 20 years it’s very rare that we have been good so understandably the atmosphere isn’t great at Hillsborough. However I believe our fans are so tame it’s quite frightening. It takes a lot of poor performances before the fans get on the players backs. 

For me the only time the fans really get negative is when it’s clear that the players aren’t putting a shift in, neshing out of tackles etc. 

At this current time we have a high percentage of players that are fannies. We’ve had a midfield for years with other than Hutchinson they’re all scared of their own shadows. What’s worse is they pretend to put effort in when they know they don’t have to put a tackle in. How many times have you seen Bannan and Reach to name two chase players round the pitch like headless chickens yet if they had the balls to make the 50/50 tackle they wouldn’t have had to go running round. 

With regards to Moses specifically I wouldn’t say fans have got on his back, they just don’t want him in the side because he’s been woeful since signing. 

3 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

I really don’t get this whole pressure thing at Hillsborough. Lots of players and managers have mentioned it over the years and I can’t get my head around it. 

Next time you’re at Hillsborough and you see Nuhiu warming up to come on just have a listen to the fans around you..

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, Plonk said:

It's a head coach's job to develop and guide players to improve them. A manager simply manages them by applying tactics and playing styles. There is some overlap between the roles but it's not the managers fault hes mentally weak, unless he is because or the manager

4 hours ago, Plonk said:

You’ve solved the problem in an instant.

The club just have to stop appointing bad managers and all will be well.