Odubajo "Sheffield Wednesday players put pressure on themselves"

14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Right easy to say that innit tho

Well yeah, it’s easy to say anything innit, but imo it’s poor they’re coming up with excuses like that, and I honestly do think it’s an excuse. 

A few players in a squad who suffered this I’d understand, but it seems to deplete our whole squad. That to me is fishy 

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

Well yeah, it’s easy to say anything innit, but imo it’s poor they’re coming up with excuses like that, and I honestly do think it’s an excuse. 

A few players in a squad who suffered this I’d understand, but it seems to deplete our whole squad. That to me is fishy 

It would be one hell of an excuse given that so many different footballers of all ages, shapes, and abilities have said the exact same thing over the years..

Owlstalk Shop

53 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It would be one hell of an excuse given that so many different footballers of all ages, shapes, and abilities have said the exact same thing over the years..

Collectively they’re not good enough and I’d wager at least half couldn’t give a shiiit 

16 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Collectively they’re not good enough and I’d wager at least half couldn’t give a shiiit 

I'm talking about players that have come and gone over the years who have all mentioned it.

Seems strange that all of them come up with the same 'excuse'

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm talking about players that have come and gone over the years who have all mentioned it.

Seems strange that all of them come up with the same 'excuse'

And how has our transfer business been over the last 15 years? It’s not surprising they’ve come out with this, as the majority have gone on to achieve very little 

On 24/04/2020 at 08:59, northeastowl said:

I really don’t get this whole pressure thing at Hillsborough. Lots of players and managers have mentioned it over the years and I can’t get my head around it. 

When we are doing well the atmosphere can be fantastic and that’s understandable. Unfortunately over the past 20 years it’s very rare that we have been good so understandably the atmosphere isn’t great at Hillsborough. However I believe our fans are so tame it’s quite frightening. It takes a lot of poor performances before the fans get on the players backs. 

For me the only time the fans really get negative is when it’s clear that the players aren’t putting a shift in, neshing out of tackles etc. 

At this current time we have a high percentage of players that are fannies. We’ve had a midfield for years with other than Hutchinson they’re all scared of their own shadows. What’s worse is they pretend to put effort in when they know they don’t have to put a tackle in. How many times have you seen Bannan and Reach to name two chase players round the pitch like headless chickens yet if they had the balls to make the 50/50 tackle they wouldn’t have had to go running round. 

With regards to Moses specifically I wouldn’t say fans have got on his back, they just don’t want him in the side because he’s been woeful since signing. 

Agreed, try being appalling at millwall, leeds or west ham, the fans would be in uproar...we are too soft on them imo

Fox took a pasting and actually improved (a bit) so maybe it's the way forward

On 25/04/2020 at 14:31, meggoisgod said:

Agreed, try being appalling at millwall, leeds or west ham, the fans would be in uproar...we are too soft on them imo

Fox took a pasting and actually improved (a bit) so maybe it's the way forward

none of those sides have achieved much as a result though have they? Same with Man U even.

I think when a team has been poor it’s ok to give them stick at HT or FT. But when it’s booing individuals as they come on as sub for example it’s so counter productive 

Just now, Bluesteel said:

none of those sides have achieved much as a result though have they? In the context of where they could be. Same with Man U even. I think Leeds crumble under pressure every year.

I think when a team has been poor it’s ok to give them stick at HT or FT. But when it’s booing individuals as they come on as sub for example it’s so counter productive 

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

none of those sides have achieved much as a result though have they? Same with Man U even.

I'm not sure I agree with you...we are underperforming to an extent that is unacceptable  (imo) yet as a fan base we are generally apathetic.

Leeds on course for promotion, millwall punching for years, west ham in prem. Maybe a bit of "vocal anger" does generate a response...maybe

21 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

I'm not sure I agree with you...we are underperforming to an extent that is unacceptable  (imo) yet as a fan base we are generally apathetic.

Leeds on course for promotion, millwall punching for years, west ham in prem. Maybe a bit of "vocal anger" does generate a response...maybe

I’m not suggesting we are doing well enough and I agree apathy is an issue, but this in itself is negative as everything is just flat and waiting for the next sea change. Be it a new owner or perhaps a total squad overhaul and new beginning as it seemed at the start of this season.

Generally speaking fans just groaning and getting a team in the long term does nothing, it’s self fulfilling and probably has little effect other than alienating everyone involved on all sides. If a crowd gets behind the team and helps them mores the better and then when the groans and boos come they know they deserve it and it can spark a reaction. It’s quite a complex one as the issues are also with the ownership, FFP, senior squad members, the team making the same mistakes and generally speaking it is the club that needs to sort that to get the good feeling back. But after a time, when we are in the mire, the fans are needed to reset the expectations and get behind them to prevent further damage in my view.

re Leeds they are on course but their fans went mad that they dropped points and the team went on a bad run which happens every season. Millwall have only really got up there since Rowett came in otherwise they are just a 2/3 tier yo yo side.

West Ham have the big stadium and expectant fans but they are joint third bottom.

A good example is Newcastle at home, the fans get on their sides back after 30mins if it’s not going well and the team plays it safe. But when the stadium gets going they generally play much better. Same with Wednesday. 

On 24/04/2020 at 19:36, FreshOwl said:

Doesn’t wash with me. Some of these players have arguably played for bigger clubs 

A half empty morgue like Hillsborough shouldn’t be having any of them worried. They need to get a grip or find a different profession 

Nor me anymore.  They are professional sportsmen with every advantage going and being paid astronomical wages (even £5,000 a week is over a quarter of a million a year, think about it !) Hillsborough is hardly ever intimidating, I wish it were.  Fox and Nuhiu showed character and determination in overcoming hostile stuff from some supporters.  Other players should do the same. Millions of people are showing fantastic resolve in their everyday lives at the moment, a footballers life is a walk in the park:rolleyes:

Some videos have been posted in here of us when we were at our best, and there are leaders all over the pitch, Pearson, Viv Anderson, Danny Wilson, Irish - this was a dressing room that supported young lads coming through.  Carlos has it for a while with Wallace and Loovens. These players are worth their weight in gold for what they do off the pitch as well as in it.  I don’t think we’ll see this kind of leadership again, or play anything like we should, until we’ve cleared out the spoilers and built back that supportive culture. 

2 hours ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

Some videos have been posted in here of us when we were at our best, and there are leaders all over the pitch, Pearson, Viv Anderson, Danny Wilson, Irish - this was a dressing room that supported young lads coming through.  Carlos has it for a while with Wallace and Loovens. These players are worth their weight in gold for what they do off the pitch as well as in it.  I don’t think we’ll see this kind of leadership again, or play anything like we should, until we’ve cleared out the spoilers and built back that supportive culture. 

Agreed

Same with Semedo - another one who did loads off the pitch to help our club

Owlstalk Shop