What Barry Bannan is capable of when playing in a more attacking position

Four years ago.

the reason we are where we are.

a complete lack of forward planning and a reliance on players that aren’t what they were

Westwood

lees

bannan

lee

hutchinson

forestieri

Yes this is what he is capable of, but this is what he rarely does. Hence many fans have lost all patience with him now. 

He used to play this way a lot more. Pass and move. Mayking runs and 1-2's. Now he just stands way too deep, plays Hollywood balls, and is then out of the play.

Just look at his scoring stats suggest. Wiki says 188 games played, 10 goals scored. Incredibly bad for a midfield player.

Edited by steelerian
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, steelerian said:

Yes this is what he is capable of, but this is what he rarely does. Hence many fans have lost all patience with him now. 

He used to play this way a lot more. Pass and move. Mayking runs and 1-2's. Now he just stands way too deep, plays Hollywood balls, and is then out of the play.

Just look at his scoring stats suggest. Wiki says 188 games played, 10 goals scored. Incredibly bad for a midfield player.

Bang on he can't score from half way line with his hands on hips shaking his head. He plays far too deep and often slows the attack up. 4 years ago FF was outstanding but its in the past. We need to move these players on.

Always been overrated 

Kieran Lee was 10 times the player bannan could ever wish to be 

The fans have made him the Billy Big b0110cks you see from bannan now

Believes his own hype 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, steelerian said:

It was far easier to play that way when he had a fit Kieran Lee alongside him, Gary Hooper and an on-form Forestieri ahead of him and Wallace making intelligent moves too with Pudil and Hunt supporting. 

We are an inferior team now, Bannan needs quality players around him to get the best out of him, he is not the type of player to consistently raise the level of the team through his own performance.   

On 24/04/2020 at 00:37, pazowl55 said:

Carlos the only manager to really unlock Bannan's potential going forward.

And then his arse fell out the season after and he locked it back up again, along with any attacking flair we had. 

Edited by NeonLeon

10 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Always been overrated 

Kieran Lee was 10 times the player bannan could ever wish to be 

The fans have made him the Billy Big b0110cks you see from bannan now

Believes his own hype 

Not sure about that. If anything it's the opposite. Other managers, other clubs fans and pundits have said how great Bannan is including one of the best on the planet at this moment in time. Kieran Lee is so built up because of us. Hardly gets a mention by anyone else. Now that's not to say he isnt a great player because he is. But I bet at least 90% of fans and managers from other Championship clubs would say they had a player as good as Lee. Not many would say that about Bannan. And you can apply the same rule to Hutchinson and Lees aswell. 

Westwood and Forestieri would probably draw attention from others aswell or they used to.

But the truth is Bannan is the only star player we have from the outside looking in.

Bannan and Fletcher are the only two stand-out players we have left. Reach would be the third if this season’s form is shown to be an injury-induced blip.

As for playing higher up the field, I disagree. Like any high quality CM he takes up the optimum position as dictated by the needs of a particular phase of each game.

Superb player. Love him.

Bannan had his best season for Wednesday when he played on the left and played in a more advanced role.  If you were creating a Wednesday midfield would you play Bannan there?  I wouldn’t.

I think our midfield has been a weak area for years and often gets outnumbered and overrun.  We need midfield players with greater energy/speed, height and physicality in midfield.  

Bannan is a skilful player and can hit a good long pass from time to time.  He scores too few goals and is not a playmaker in the Sheridan sense whom you can build a team around.  We rely too much on him which is not healthy for a team.  The sum of the parts must be more than any individual.

As much as I like Bannan, at 28-29 yrs of age, I think the time has come to cash in and rebuild. 

16 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Not sure about that. If anything it's the opposite. Other managers, other clubs fans and pundits have said how great Bannan is including one of the best on the planet at this moment in time. Kieran Lee is so built up because of us. Hardly gets a mention by anyone else. Now that's not to say he isnt a great player because he is. But I bet at least 90% of fans and managers from other Championship clubs would say they had a player as good as Lee. Not many would say that about Bannan. And you can apply the same rule to Hutchinson and Lees aswell. 

Westwood and Forestieri would probably draw attention from others aswell or they used to.

But the truth is Bannan is the only star player we have from the outside looking in.

And other fans /pundits watch how many of our games? 

3 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

And other fans /pundits watch how many of our games? 

That's my point we know how good Kieran Lee is because we see him play. But other fans see there players aswell and put them on a pedestal just like we do with him. Brighton playoff semis team against us. Not one Brighton fan would have Lee better than Kayal for example.  Bannan the only player that gets proper media attention and recognition from other fans.

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

That's my point we know how good Kieran Lee is because we see him play. But other fans see there players aswell and put them on a pedestal just like we do with him. Brighton playoff semis team against us. Not one Brighton fan would have Lee better than Kayal for example.  Bannan the only player that gets proper media attention and recognition from other fans.

Just cus he gets attention doesn't make him a good player in my book 

What makes a good player is facts

Goals and improvement been two high points 

His goal record is embarrassing 

And has he improved since he has been here? 

Like I've said before

The guy can't get a cap for Scotland ffs

Why's no club ever bid for him if he is such a amazing championship player 

Our best 2 performances in the last 3 months was without him in the team 

He's had 5 years here 

It's time to send him on his way 

Because while ever bannan is our 'star player' we will never get promoted 

11 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Just cus he gets attention doesn't make him a good player in my book 

What makes a good player is facts

Goals and improvement been two high points 

His goal record is embarrassing 

And has he improved since he has been here? 

Like I've said before

The guy can't get a cap for Scotland ffs

Why's no club ever bid for him if he is such a amazing championship player 

Our best 2 performances in the last 3 months was without him in the team 

He's had 5 years here 

It's time to send him on his way 

Because while ever bannan is our 'star player' we will never get promoted 

Star player yes. But that doesn't make him the most effective player we have.

Why has no one ever bid for Lee if he is 10 times the player Bannan is?

No premier league bid for Bannan. Could be we want to much for him!

No Scotland cap. He is probably a bit unlucky that there greatest area of strength is cm. 

Bannan is a very good championship player. But he would be very average in the premier league as would virtually every player we have.