The Internet killed the Fanzine

Spitting Feathers, Wednesday Half Day Closing,Cheat,Blue and White Wizard A View From The East Bank and Out of The Blue were all top rate fanzines in my opinion. I was fortunate enough to contribute articles for OOTB for a short time and spend hours,especially nowadays,reading through the different fanzines I have. Some top class humour in them and thought provoking articles. For me they were a part of all things Wednesday.

3 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

Spitting Feathers, Wednesday Half Day Closing,Cheat,Blue and White Wizard A View From The East Bank and Out of The Blue were all top rate fanzines in my opinion. I was fortunate enough to contribute articles for OOTB for a short time and spend hours,especially nowadays,reading through the different fanzines I have. Some top class humour in them and thought provoking articles. For me they were a part of all things Wednesday.

half day closing is a new one on me …...was it short lived ?

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

half day closing is a new one on me …...was it short lived ?

Evening mate. I have just one and it is Issue 1 from 2000/2001.Theres a picture of Paul Jewell on the cover and it's editor was Graham Lightfoot.

• Thanks 1

Guest mkowl
2 hours ago, torryowl said:

cheat was far and away the best imo it was what the early fanzines were about  ….some of the others were a bit pappy and went off down the glossy route as did" when Saturday comes "..

Cheat still posts on an alternative forum

6 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

Evening mate. I have just one and it is Issue 1 from 2000/2001.Theres a picture of Paul Jewell on the cover and it's editor was Graham Lightfoot.

a late entrant then …...whos graham lightfoot ?.....ive heard the name before but cant think why .

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

a late entrant then …...whos graham lightfoot ?.....ive heard the name before but cant think why .

Can't help you a great deal but the name crops up on different topics on Owlstalk going back a few years.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, torryowl said:

He was heavily involved with AVFTEB and Spitting Feathers, might have been editor of both at some point.

1 minute ago, REDOWL said:

That's right mate. Just carpeting the living room with old editions of both.

Gonna do the same at some point soon, knew I'd kept them for a reason! 

2 hours ago, Grandad said:

Truly hilarious

An owlstalk classic

It was threads like that that made Owlstalk the site it is

Not the hundreds of threads where people call each other winkers for having a different opinion

Spelling intentional

There should be a Classic Threads folder on Owlstalk. 

6 hours ago, Grandad said:

Pretty sure this was the title of the first 100 page thread on Owlstalk. 

of which 50% of all the posts were made by Wednesdays (now) Press bloke Trevor Braithwait refusing to accept the truth

First 100 page thread and the first 1000 post thread! 😮

@darra got the 1000th post if I remember correctly.

In true fanzine style there were a lot of opinions thrown around, sarcasm, silly arguments and excellent humour. I’m sure half the people arguing were on the same side of the argument for half of the thread but carried on arguing anyway!

It was all good natured though... for the most part. I know some certain people resented some posts in it for a looooong time afterwards and it kept being brought up even years later. 😂

That ‘press bloke’... Now Director of Communications and one of the influential people Chansiri refers to in his latest interview when he mentions people who “know Wednesday inside out”. Who’d have thought it... from hawking a fanzine outside the Kop gates to top of the tree inside the club. Fair play to him. 🙂