The Internet killed the Fanzine

wotm2.jpg

Going to try and recall all the different various Sheffield Wednesday fanzines from over the years to see if we can do a definitive list.

So far I have come up with the following list of Sheffield Wednesday fanzines past and present

• War Of The Monster Trucks
  • Just Another Wednesday
  • Spitting Feathers
  • Out Of The Blue
  • All Wednesday
  • The Blue And White Wizard
  • A View From The East Bank
  • Dink
  • Cheat
  • Boddle

Have I missed any?

Owlstalk Shop

I loved spitting feathers, a friend brought me a copy back from Sheffield and I ended up taking out an annual subscription for 2 or 3 years. Wish I still had them.

Being down in Cornwall it was a great way to feel more involved with the fan base back in the day before the internet.

MORE RAMBLINGS FROM AN EX FANZINE EDITOR.

Chapter 4

How to make friends and influence people!

During the first few months of my editorship I managed to make several enemies amongst the readership. Now with hindsight I can say that this was due to my inexperience and youth. I have always been very self-opinionated and over the years have revelled in stirring up controversy and debate through my writings in various fanzines. Indeed, several years after Spitting Feathers ended I managed to win three consecutive awards in Out of the Blue. For three years running my regular column The Beat Goes On was voted the Worst Regular Feature in the fanzine. Upon winning it for the first time in 2004 I marked the occasion thus:

It is due in no small part to my amazing, limitless power and skill that you felt compelled to bestow an award upon my good self. Some may see the accolade of ‘Worst Regular Feature’ as something of a damning critique of my work…Those types of people are too weak and too stupid to see this award for what it really is: a whole-hearted endorsement of my thought-provoking and often ’right on the nail’ work.

I went on:

What articles over the last year got you riled enough to really care about what they said? Which writer’s name instantly popped in to your head (when thinking about) all the valuable contributors this fanzine has? Which person did you remember above all others? That’s right, ME!

12 months later I scooped the award for a second time. Again I accepted the award with panache and cutting brutality:

I no longer know whether to be flattered or dismayed at your bestowing on me for a second year the award for least favourite regular feature. In the past I have taken such an award as acknowledgement of the fact that I say what others daren’t. Now though I see it as a predictable and all too easily obtained trinket which near-sighted, terminally dull people dish out because they can’t handle the truth.

I further endeared myself to the readers with these words:

To have won this award once was pleasurable, especially as I wasn’t really trying to win it, but to win it a second time is beyond my wildest dreams.

I had of course by now been doing everything within my powers to ensure that I rubbed the readers up the wrong way and caused controversy, debate and reaction. That many people appreciated my alarmingly candid and very often spot-on observations became clear a year later (and was an immensely proud realisation for me). What was by now already evident though, was that many readers were too slow to realise that they had been had; that I was deliberately trying to wind them up and get a response. I finished my acceptance of my second award with these words:

Remember, the only thing worse than being thought about is not being thought about. Do you think about me? Of course you do, during those long close-seasons. Do I reciprocate? Don’t be daft!

By the time the following end of season poll rolled round I had announced my impending retirement from the fanzine game. This still didn’t stop my often acerbic, always thought-provoking words winning the Worst Regular Feature for a third consecutive year. The editor commented on my winning the award yet again:

Dan attracted comments like no other writer and what a sad loss he is to OoTB.

What was puzzling but very flattering was that in the end of season poll for 2006 I also scooped two other awards. Firstly readers voted me the clear winner in the What Would You Like to See More of? category. In addition, persuade Dan Hammond to return was the outright winner in the How Could We Improve OoTB? category.

It brought to an end a very enjoyable part of my time writing for fanzines: a time during which I had tried to generate reactions to my work and failed and then succeeded when I stopped trying.

That I was able to crank up the intensity of my written offerings once I garnered the first negative reactions was a huge bonus to my attention-seeking self. I revelled in the debate I caused and the attention it brought. It is fair to say that at least 80 percent of what I wrote was designed to get a reaction.

How different from my first few months as editor of Spitting Feathers!

It’s fair to say that I wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea when I took over the reins of Spitting Feathers. The 1999-2000 season began rather inauspiciously with a 2-1 home defeat to Liverpool with Benito Carbone – a huge Wednesday hero at the time – bagging the consolation goal for the Owls.

The season had, as I’ve already mentioned elsewhere, promised so much and whilst a defeat to Liverpool wasn’t a disaster it left many feeling very deflated. Four days later, on the 11th August, Wednesday travelled to Old Trafford, the home of the newly crowned European Champions, and were battered 4-0, turning in a performance that was as abject in terms of skill as it was effort and commitment from the Wednesday team.

Three more games followed resulting in another two defeats against Tottenham and Derby at Hillsborough and a draw away at Bradford. In those first five games we gained one point and scored only three goals – although one of those three was an own goal scored by John Dreyer at Valley Parade. So, with five games gone only two goals had been registered by a Wednesday player: both scored by Benito Carbone.

Thus it was that on Saturday 28th August Wednesday travelled down to the Dell to take on Southampton. For whatever reason, Danny Wilson decided to leave our best player on the bench.  Carbone naturally took the hump at this, after all he was the only Wednesday player who had looked anything like a Premier League player and here he was being left on the bench.

Many thousands of Wednesdayites were equally astonished and angry with the decision but nothing could have prepared them for the news that greeted them as they arrived in Southampton: Carbone had thrown his toys out of the pram and stormed out, catching the first available transport back to Sheffield and leaving his ill-prepared team mates to battle for a first win of the season on their own. We lost of course, 2-nil.

REPORT THIS AD

The following Wednesday my regular piece appeared on Teletext’s Fanzone page and boy, did it cause me a lot of hassle. I’d had enough of Carbone’s sulking and laid into him big style saying that though Wilson was clearly mad for dropping him to the bench there was absolutely no justification for Carbone walking out on the team.

Furthermore I said he’d let his team mates down and more importantly he’d let the fans down. In my mind the issue was as clear as day and I let everyone know what I thought: Benito Carbone should never, EVER, pull on a Sheffield Wednesday shirt again. He is a disgrace to the club, the fans and everyone who has ever paid to watch their team play. We would give our right arms to play for our club and here is this little weasel running off with his ball under his arm.

Well that was it. Very soon letters and emails started to arrive in my inbox letting me have what for.

In the September 1999 issue (number 52), my second as editor, there appeared a short letter from a gentleman calling himself Scunny Owl. Now before I go any further I must stress that later in the season I was to come face to face with Scunny Owl and although I may flatter myself slightly with the following assertion, I feel we developed a very cordial relationship; one that would last for several seasons as we met up before many games and discussed the pressing issues of the day.

I mention this so as to offset any unkind words I may initially write about this contributor. I am after all recalling my thoughts and opinions on a man from a time when I had not met him nor he me. My first thought was: typical, someone too scared to use their own name. This was something that annoyed me for many years. Why couldn’t people have the courage and conviction of their own words and use their real name? It puzzled me for a long time.

His missive was entitled RE: Teletext 1-9-99 – So Beni should be sacked eh? The article read as follows:

In the summer you return to work from holiday to find two replacements ready to take your job. Unerringly they cost the same amount as you are valued by the club; a club which I might add don’t like spending money. You are still required to give 100% knowing full well you are surplus to requirements.

The two new boys start the season and are frighteningly ordinary; you are brought off the bench as second choice replacement striker after a twenty year old apprentice (Cresswell) and manage to score a goal. A first team place now for sure. Wrong! You are on the bench again while mediocrity reigns once more.

Then we go to Southampton, a team packed with world class players (I don’t think!) Our forward thinking and attack-minded manager wants you on the bench again in the faint hope (and those are Wilson’s words) that the game is still nil nil with twenty minutes to go and you can then go on and tear the opposition apart single-handedly. Obviously the other 11 players couldn’t do this before you came on because it’s still nil nil.

I think it’s time you got off your if-I-go-against-the-club-I-won’t-get-any-more-interviews high horse and opened your eyes to what is happening at our beloved club. Benito Carbone plays with pride and passion that is sadly lacking this season. If you bothered to listen to the crowd at Hillsborough you would know how much he is loved. WHY? Because he is one of us. HE CARES!

I was particularly interested in Scunny Owl’s assertion that I should listen to the crowd and realise just how adored Beni was. In some, tiny respect, he had a point: at least one other person felt the need to attack me regarding this issue, and again he failed to use his real name!

This contributor went by the name of Barnsley Owl and again I must stress that I was to meet this particular person later in my tenure (although at the time he had no idea who I was) and eventually I think he realised that I was ok.

Anyway, Barnsley Owl wrote an even longer letter in much the same vein: slagging me off for sucking up to the club and for criticising a player who was, in his view at least, beyond reproach. The full letter is too long to reproduce here verbatim but I include a few short snippets that give you a flavour:

What a load of crap you spout. Where do you come from? It shows what you get when you give a man’s job to a lad (I was 23!), a total load of crap. Come back Graham Lightfoot!…It is obvious you have no love for SWFC…You are so blind you cannot see that they (the board and manager) want Carbone out…Get off Carbone’s back…or be prepared to be in a minority…I accept you are entitled to your opinion but how many times do I have to read page 180 on Teletext and see you spouting to all that Carbone must be sacked? (I think I’d done it once but there you go, hyperbole rules when you know your point is weak!)…We listened to pillocks like you during the Di Canio episode.

Far be it from me to say that the sentiments in both these letters were wrong (but they were) I feel I must again pick up on the assertion that I needed to listen to the fans.

Apparently they were all in love with Carbone and I was wrong. Interestingly though, in issue 52 of the fanzine, two contributors wrote gushing praise and support my stance regarding Carbone.

And both of them provided their real names! Shows they had courage and belief in what they’d written. A gentleman named James Speed, who entitled all his articles Sir Says... had this to say:

The recent actions of our so-called superstar (Carbone) are beyond belief. Just who does he think he is? Refusing to go on the bench! He must go now!

No direct reference to myself or my musings from Teletext I grant you, but a direct mirroring of my own thoughts and words. Total agreement with my sentiments in anyone’s book. Another letter, entitled How right you are! appeared in the same issue. I won’t repeat it in its entirety but here are some small extracts to give you an idea:

I read your comments about Benito Carbone on Channel 4 Teletext and I couldn’t agree more with what you said. What Carbone did in walking out on the team was despicable and Danny Wilson was right to castigate him for his actions.

This was written by a gentleman named Tom Crawshaw.

Support for my stance continued in the following issue, number 53, with two more contributors venting their frustration at Carbone.

A Leon Rodziewicz had this to say:

Just read your article on Teletext…as far as I’m concerned the sooner Carbone goes the better although I would love to see him rot in the reserves.

A very disgusted and angry Chris Middleton made his feelings very clear:

I personally believe that an apology from Carbone is not sufficient. He has let down SWFC, its players and its fans in a way that no professional footballer should.

Now on a purely personal, points-scoring level this was all very satisfying for me because it showed clearly that the majority of the readers were definitely with me as far as the Carbone issue went.

However, what it clearly demonstrated was that there was a split developing amongst the Wednesday faithful, one which could have proven very unsettling for the team had a nasty atmosphere begun to envelope the ground on a match day. Indeed there were some examples of the mixed feelings that were flowing around Hillsborough in the immediate aftermath of the Southampton game.

On Saturday September 11th Everton visited Hillsborough and left with an easy two nil victory. What was telling was the reaction to Carbone. A regular contributor, who went by the name of Pink Floyd (although his real name was well known to me he wrote under a pseudonym due to his close connections with me), captured the tension that was created amongst the faithful:

The little scummy Italian started on the bench and was rightly booed when he limbered up by the corner flag. This turned to a mixture of cheers and boos when he came on. This I just cannot understand. It perplexes me how people can cheer a man who blatantly can’t give a f**k, and is taking not only those who boo, but those who cheer, for a ride. What little pride and self-respect these people must have if they are prepared to accept being treated like poo.

As if to highlight even further the debate and disagreement that was rife amongst the fans, two regular contributors who penned a joint piece for each issue disagreed on what was to be done about our Italian ‘hero’:

Aardvark: Does anyone really have a logical reason for why they booed Carbone? I’m convinced he is the most gifted player at Hillsborough. Without him we will be amongst the Nationwide Division One also-rans.

REPORT THIS AD

Peak Owl: Face facts, the boy gave us the big f**k off treatment down at the Dell.

What they did both agree on was the point that the team didn’t need booing during a game; that should be saved for another time. This is a point I just do not agree with but that is for another time. What was evident was that the issue of Carbone’s actions down at The Dell had caused a large split amongst the fans, something that did occasionally lead to quite hostile emotions being expressed in the stands.

If this was what was happening amongst the support what was it like within the squad? Several people now feel that the negativity this caused amongst the players may have further hindered what was already turning into a disastrous campaign.

On 23rd October 1999 Andy Booth spoke at length about the Carbone issue and had this to say:

Good riddance to him (Carbone). His flashy skills and (his over-zealous need to) have the ball at his feet all the time (alienated him from many). I am relieved that the Italian bad apple has finally been jettisoned from Hillsborough.

Strong words indeed and they clearly show that there was some simmering resentment towards the Italian resulting from his actions at Southampton. If a usually quiet and mild-mannered person like Booth felt the need to air such views in a national newspaper (The Daily Mirror) one can only begin to imagine what some of the more hot-headed players had said in private to Carbone.

Booth’s later claims, in the same article, that “there is no doom and gloom…Everyone is absolutely buzzing in training” seem to suggest that a huge, malignant cancer had been removed from the team and things would inevitably pick up. Unfortunately a run of only 1 win between said article and January 15th 2000 suggests that Booth’s over-optimistic appraisal of the situation was a little of kilter.

Nevertheless, his comments do highlight a problem that was obviously causing ill-feeling amongst certain players and ill-feeling amongst a great proportion of the fanzine’s readership. It was strange that such an incident could have an almost identical effect on both the team and the fans.

Whilst the football team was riddled with animosity and anger so was the fanzine. It got to the stage where good friends were debating, and disagreeing, on the Carbone issue for some time.Several years ago, well over 10 years since the incident, there was still a split amongst Wednesdayites about Carbone.

His recent (at the time) appearance for the Wednesday Masters at Sheffield Arena prompted some on Wednesday forums to suggest he might be worth bringing in on trial and perhaps be given a one year, pay-as-you-play contract. One or two fans were still against this: (he) left us in the shoyt (sic) with his mardy arsedness (sic).

However, it appears that over time he has been forgiven and many would welcome him back with open arms. Whether this is because they genuinely think he could a job or if it is more due to nostalgia and the fact that even a 39 year old who had his best years over ten years ago would still be infinitely more talented than most of the present squad is open to debate.

Personally, whilst he would probably be as good as, if not better than, most of the present squad I couldn’t stomach his return. He was a decent player but his actual impact was very minimal. He did it when it didn’t matter. When the chips were down though he didn’t really have it.

REPORT THIS AD

Whether the incident at Southampton had any additional adverse effects on the season is, with hindsight, debatable. Once Carbone had gone things didn’t improve. What is for certain though is that the cracks and disagreements that were evident within the team were beginning to appear amongst the contributors to the fanzine and it helped to create quite a hostile atmosphere within the pages with a lot of back-biting going on.

Now I may have helped to create some of this animosity due to my very opinionated and outspoken beliefs that I expressed as editor. Due to my lack of experience in such a role I decided to forego being the neutral editor and nailed my colours firmly to the mast. In my editorial for issue 52 I stated that several people had questioned my attitude towards the club and suggested that I was sucking up to the club in order to not rock the boat and thus gain more access to current playing staff in the future.

I made it clear that I had no intention to interview any more present day players. In any case, the accusation of ‘sucking up to’ the club was way off the mark, as the final part of my editorial for said issue made clear. In it I castigated the manager for his lack of decisive leadership; the players – Petter Rudi and Niclos Alexandersson in particular – who were “fulfilling no purpose whatsoever”; and the pathetic performances by our first team in general and the capitulation at Old Trafford in particular.

My thoughts on this game are included in another chapter.

Anyway, Scunny Owl came looking for me after my comments on Teletext and he meant business. Luckily, on the day in question I had for some reason decided to move to an alternative spot to sell the fanzine. I think I was hoping that moving to where the club shop was situated might increase sales (it didn’t).

As Trevor Braithwait – editor of the fanzine Out of the Blue – informed me when I returned to my usual spot with about 20 minutes to go until kickoff, he (Scunny Owl) looked about ‘ready to rip (my) head off’.

He was a big fella with a skinhead and believe me if you didn’t know him you’d be very scared if he came looking for you intent on proving you wrong. Thankfully he missed me that day and by the time he eventually caught up with me he’d calmed down enough to have a reasonable conversation with me and I think I convinced him that I wasn’t a crawler who would do nothing to upset the establishment.

As I’ve said, we spent some time before each game chatting about football both whilst I was still editor and when I’d packed it in and we’d congregate round Trevor as he peddled his wares.

Another of my controversial outbursts during my first season as editor revolved around our goalkeeper at the time, Pavel Srnicek.

Now as anyone who knows me or has read my work over the last 13 years will know, I have a real issue with goalkeepers. My main bugbear is that most, if not all, of them are poo nowadays. All this flapping at crosses and punching shots away! What the f**k are they playing at?

People blame the ball but I just don’t buy it. There hasn’t been a truly world class goalkeeper since the days of Neville Southall. Yes Peter Schmeichel was a very good goalkeeper but he played for the best club side in England – and Europe at one stage – so it was easy for him to look good. Never looked quite so commanding for Denmark did he (remember his wonderful displays at Euro 96!) Anyway, Srnicek was Danny Wilson’s favourite and he’d replaced crowd-favourite Kevin Pressman during the 1999-2000 season for reasons known only to the manager. 

Srnicek was useless. He couldn’t dive; he couldn’t catch a ball; he couldn’t kick a ball; he couldn’t throw a ball. His command of his area and his presence within the box were non-existent and you could see panic spreading through the Wednesday defence whenever a ball came over in the air: they knew flapper would make a balls-up and most likely cost us a goal.

REPORT THIS AD

His performance against Leicester on 30th October 1999 was the straw that broke the camel’s back as far as I was concerned. We lost the game 3-0 (this game is detailed in another chapter) and he was abysmal. Now I’d been moaning and chuntering to friends and family ever since Srnicek had been put in the first team.

I’d never rated him when he was at Newcastle and couldn’t believe that Wilson was seriously of the opinion that the Czech buffoon was a better option than Pressman. Having sat inside Filbert Street and watched as Srnicek wandered around his goal like a blind footballer chasing a ball with no bell in it I’d had enough.

My following editorial laid into him (although with hindsight I appear to have gone easy on him really):

Srnicek was ridiculed throughout most of the game, and not a moment too soon for me. The man is an absolute joke and has no talent whatsoever. For a long time people have said that Lee Briscoe is the worst player at the club but I cannot agree. (Srnicek) is a clown and is fast becoming the biggest joke around when Wednesday are in town. As well as costing us numerous points he is causing more and more uncertainty to creep into our defence with every game. Get shut Wilson before he…costs you your job!

Prior to this editorial I’d also vented my spleen on Teletext. Although sadly I have no record of what I actually wrote I know it must have been of a similar vein to the sentiments I expressed in the fanzine as I received several correspondences from a gentleman going by the name of E. Emmerson (more than likely not his really name).

One in particular showed a man who was very agitated by what I had to say. All his letters were addressed directly to me so where the personal pronouns you and your are used they refer to me solely:

It must be really comforting for Sheffield Wednesday players to know they have your complete, unstinting support. I am not being serious of course but then surely no one takes your puerile little publication seriously. But when you pump out your venom at individual players on Teletext it becomes a different matter.

I have to say that at the time, and still to this day, I was amazed that a publication that was puerile and not to be taken seriously had caused such consternation for this fellow. He went on:

On Saturday, at Leeds, at whom did you scream abuse for the first 72 minutes? Until then the defence and keeper had kept a clean sheet. Was it Rudi or de Bilde? More likely Andy Booth, he is usually the one you pick on.

Now it was true that I had given Rudi, de Bilde and Booth grief and was of the unwavering opinion that all three were useless. As to the matter of Srnicek and the defence keeping a clean sheet for 72 minutes and therefore being above reproach, I shall deal with that issue shortly. The deluded idiot finished by saying: If Pavel is so awful how come he is the keeper for the number two team in the world?

The use of this kind of rhetorical question at the end is all well and good if it actually backs up the point you are trying to make. If E. Emmerson had had anything resembling an intellect he would have known that it did not serve to emphasise his point, it did the exact opposite: it showed what a dearth of goalkeeping talent there was in the Czech Republic at the time.

Absolutely brilliant stuff from Dan Hammond's blog here - https://junes1976.wordpress.com/

Owlstalk Shop

Pretty sure this was the title of the first 100 page thread on Owlstalk. 

of which 50% of all the posts were made by Wednesdays (now) Press bloke Trevor Braithwait refusing to accept the truth

4 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Pretty sure this was the title of the first 100 page thread on Owlstalk. 

of which 50% of all the posts were made by Wednesdays (now) Press bloke Trevor Braithwait refusing to accept the truth

A thread sadly now lost. 

I'd give serious money to be able to read that thread again. It was absolute class.

Owlstalk Shop

Regarding the Carbone business (again), it's amazing how easily some fans can have their buttons pushed with a bit of manipulative 'club loyalty' nonsense. Given the subsequent revelation of the dressing room being split between domestic and foreign areas, one wonders who was alienating who. It's easy to blame a temperamental 'outsider' with his flashy skills and floppy hair, but as Di Canio noted in his book, Booth came across as a bitter mardy arse when it came to the 'fancy dans'. At the start of 1999/2000, Carbone was doing his best to single-handedly keep us in the division and he was rewarded with a seat on the bench watching a bunch of no-hopers. 

Still, good job we finally got rid of him and let Wilson get on with his job of leading us to glory that season.

:dry:

35 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

A thread sadly now lost. 

I'd give serious money to be able to read that thread again. It was absolute class.

That excerpt from Dan Hammond is great stuff! I went to school with his younger brother, he always did come across as being opinionated and this shows it to say the least.

To say that 'the majority' agreed with him on the Carbone issue seems a bit rich and his side of the debate doesn't really put the issue in the context as the letter from Scunny Owl does.

As we have seen in other threads, Wilson wanted Carbone out, he had been training with the reserves during the summer and when we had 2 pre-season games on the same day Carbone played with the kids. He was left out on the opening day, scored as a late sub in an abject performance from the team but still didn't get his place back. No way should he have walked out at Southampton but his reason was of being frustrated at not getting picked so to label him as not caring was inaccurate.

Hammond also says Srnicek replaced Pessman in 1999-2000 but he has already taken the No1 spot in 1998-99.

Interesting that he references a Booth quote from the daily Mirror in his Carbone debate - I am relieved that the Italian bad apple has finally been jettisoned from Hillsborough.

That's exactly the kind of thing I imagine Booth saying........

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

Regarding the Carbone business (again), it's amazing how easily some fans can have their buttons pushed with a bit of manipulative 'club loyalty' nonsense. Given the subsequent revelation of the dressing room being split between domestic and foreign areas, one wonders who was alienating who. It's easy to blame a temperamental 'outsider' with his flashy skills and floppy hair, but as Di Canio noted in his book, Booth came across as a bitter mardy arse when it came to the 'fancy dans'. At the start of 1999/2000, Carbone was doing his best to single-handedly keep us in the division and he was rewarded with a seat on the bench watching a bunch of no-hopers. 

Still, good job we finally got rid of him and let Wilson get on with his job of leading us to glory that season.

:dry:

I was trying to remember that bit of his book where he said Carbone single handedly carried us.

Also said something about him being able to do skills with a rolled up sock that the rest of the squad couldn't do with a football. Like I said previously the fancy dan tag is based on jealousy.

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

I was trying to remember that bit of his book where he said Carbone single handedly carried us.

Also said something about him being able to do skills with a rolled up sock that the rest of the squad couldn't do with a football. Like I said previously the fancy dan tag is based on jealousy.

Di Canio says in his book that Atherton and Booth were positively gloating in the dressing room after the Alcock debacle. It's easy to believe that jealousy and bitterness was behind that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

A thread sadly now lost. 

Truly hilarious

An owlstalk classic

It was threads like that that made Owlstalk the site it is

Not the hundreds of threads where people call each other winkers for having a different opinion

Spelling intentional

Andy Booth was just one in a very long list of all awful players that Wednesday fans would prefer to see over the likes of Di Canio, Carbone and latterly Forestieri

The majority of our fan base wouldn't know a decent footballer if he dropped a ball on their head from 50 yards