The Internet killed the Fanzine

4 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

First 100 page thread and the first 1000 post thread! 😮

@darra got the 1000th post if I remember correctly.

In true fanzine style there were a lot of opinions thrown around, sarcasm, silly arguments and excellent humour. I’m sure half the people arguing were on the same side of the argument for half of the thread but carried on arguing anyway!

It was all good natured though... for the most part. I know some certain people resented some posts in it for a looooong time afterwards and it kept being brought up even years later. 😂

That ‘press bloke’... Now Director of Communications and one of the influential people Chansiri refers to in his latest interview when he mentions people who “know Wednesday inside out”. Who’d have thought it... from hawking a fanzine outside the Kop gates to top of the tree inside the club. Fair play to him. 🙂

I mentioned it to Trev just a few weeks ago

He still squirms 😂😂😂

21 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

First 100 page thread and the first 1000 post thread! 😮

@darra got the 1000th post if I remember correctly.

In true fanzine style there were a lot of opinions thrown around, sarcasm, silly arguments and excellent humour. I’m sure half the people arguing were on the same side of the argument for half of the thread but carried on arguing anyway!

It was all good natured though... for the most part. I know some certain people resented some posts in it for a looooong time afterwards and it kept being brought up even years later. 😂

That ‘press bloke’... Now Director of Communications and one of the influential people Chansiri refers to in his latest interview when he mentions people who “know Wednesday inside out”. Who’d have thought it... from hawking a fanzine outside the Kop gates to top of the tree inside the club. Fair play to him. 🙂

I believe I did and the thread was called out of the blue. :ghoulguy:

Edited by darra

2 hours ago, Ian said:

Scunny Owl claiming Creswell was an apprentice.....he was actually the record signing in the entire country of that seasons transfer window 

Cresswell was signed in March at a time when the transfer window system hadn't started. Are you claiming no club paid more than £950,000 for a player that season? 

He had never played higher than 3rd division football and Wilson described him at the time as one for the future so in comparison to Carbone he was something of an apprentice at Premier League level.

8 hours ago, torryowl said:

cheat was far and away the best imo it was what the early fanzines were about  ….some of the others were a bit pappy and went off down the glossy route as did" when Saturday comes "..

Me too, the editor Chris Hogg was well committed to 'Cheat' the readership and a Lads and Dads partnership that still endures. It was good wholesome fun and yet hard line. Yet the line was never crossed.    

8 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Me too, the editor Chris Hogg was well committed to 'Cheat' the readership and a Lads and Dads partnership that still endures. It was good wholesome fun and yet hard line. Yet the line was never crossed.   

Hello Nev. Just dug out Cheat 24 from April/May 95 price 30p. Brilliant quip on cover from Trevor Francis. A really good read.

19 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Cresswell was signed in March at a time when the transfer window system hadn't started. Are you claiming no club paid more than £950,000 for a player that season? 

He had never played higher than 3rd division football and Wilson described him at the time as one for the future so in comparison to Carbone he was something of an apprentice at Premier League level.

Apologies ....he was the record transfer on transfer deadline day.....either way he wasn’t an apprentice 

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

Apologies ....he was the record transfer on transfer deadline day.....either way he wasn’t an apprentice 

Fair enough, when transfer deadline day wasn't actually a thing that people took a great deal of notice of he was the most expensive purchase on that particular day!

In terms of semantics he wasn't an 'apprentice', he was however a virtual novice at that level at that moment in time and Wilson chose to select him ahead of Carbone, which is the point the author of the letter is trying to make. 

9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fair enough, when transfer deadline day wasn't actually a thing that people took a great deal of notice of he was the most expensive purchase on that particular day!

In terms of semantics he wasn't an 'apprentice', he was however a virtual novice at that level at that moment in time and Wilson chose to select him ahead of Carbone, which is the point the author of the letter is trying to make. 

Transfer deadline day was always a massive day....always.....I take it you are a disciple of football football never existed before Sky religion 

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

Transfer deadline day was always a massive day....always.....I take it you are a disciple of football football never existed before Sky religion 

Tell me about the huge deals that were done on 'transfer deadline day' before we had transfer windows then....... transfers generally happened thorughout the season and the last day in March was nowhere near as big a deal as the transfer windows have been.