Old Hillsborough Footage

Right did a bit of investigation using the wednesday archive and the keeper in the red shirt looks like Joe Corrigan, according to wikipedia Joe Corrigan played 36 matches for Brighton & Hove Albion in 1983-84, and according to the stats on the Wednesday Archive, Wednesday played Brighton at home:

28. Sat 25 Feb  BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION.. 2-1     1     21,614   Gary Bannister, Imre Varadi
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, OwlsMan1961 said:

Trying to figure out who the opposition is in the footage, Bannister scores from a Megson corner, it's the 1983-84 promotion season, I would have been stood at the back of the kop that day just below where the old scoreboard used to be.

I thought it was Spurs but were they in Div 2 then?

Mick Lyons is quite rightly revered on this forum and more widely by Wednesdayites  who were lucky enough to see him play for us. Some great footage here of his no nonsense defending ; maximum effort to clear the ball and failing that clear the attacker!

These were the days before the most successful post war Chairman Dave Richards developed the stadium, won us our only trophy, achieved our highest League finish since the early 60s, took us into Europe and developed a team that included the likes of Waddle, Walker, Warhurst and so many more

Happy days

I think I remember the game as Bannister was making his comeback after injury.

I sat on South Stand uncovered with my dad and brother. I would have been 10.

My first game, as my username shows, was 1st October 1983 earlier that season; a 4-2 win at home v Blackburn Rovers.

By the Brighton game I'd been to about 8 or 9 games - I remember being absolutely freezing at that game and very jealous of an old couple sat to my left with blanket over knees and a flask.

What I loved about the South Stand uncovered (which is where we sat for the first game against Blackburn) was that you walked down a 'tunnel' with white washed walls either side of you (you can see it on the video) before going up steps in the vomitorium into the stand. Not getting the view of the pitch until the very last second was so exciting.

I only went on The Kop once that first season v Newcastle when we got there to find South Stand uncovered sold out. We won 4-2 in front of about 46 000. Now that was a game!

Happy memories.

5 hours ago, OwlsMan1961 said:

Right did a bit of investigation using the wednesday archive and the keeper in the red shirt looks like Joe Corrigan, according to wikipedia Joe Corrigan played 36 matches for Brighton & Hove Albion in 1983-84, and according to the stats on the Wednesday Archive, Wednesday played Brighton at home:

28. Sat 25 Feb  BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION.. 2-1     1     21,614   Gary Bannister, Imre Varadi

If there was only 21k there most of them must have been on the kop it looks pretty full and over 20k could stand on it.