Cha-Cha-Chansiri

So we’re in a bit of a pickle but what has the Chansiri era done for us:

Initial signs were good, new pitch, new scoreboard, improvements pitch side, engagement with fans through forums and steering groups etc better quality players were brought in the impression that this long sleeping giant could finally be woken up. The negative side was the appointment of a relatively unknown quantity of a manager (CC) and the shock, sudden  increase in ticket prices, the unexpected performance of the former eased the shock of the latter. There was some great football culminating in a fantastic but ultimately disappointing day at Wembley, on leaving the ground many fans could see that with a few astute signings the following season could be the one.

Sadly this is where it all went wrong, to this day I have no idea who is responsible for buying players, even asking DC directly resulted in a fudged answer, we needed maybe three key players that window but what we got was a few scattershot buys that then had to be shoehorned in, the key positions we needed filling were still left wanting, yes we again reached the play offs but wiser planning could have given us so much more, in hindsight CC should have been replaced at that stage, he went on to have an awful 3rd season ending in a midway departure. We then move onto another unknown quantity in Jos Luhukay  who appeared to have been brought in to improve discipline, fitness and to tighten up the defence, we finished the season ok with a good home win v Norwich setting things up nicely.

The following season was a disaster, JL tried to go with youth who were clearly not ready and served up some of the worst football seen at S6, the chairman seemed unwilling to sack him until a fans forum turned his hand, his next appointment was his best move yet, experienced campaigner Steve Bruce, optimism was high for the following season until the word Newcastle appeared in the headlines and he was gone. Above all this we have always had the threat off FFP/P&S looming ominously in the background.

I don’t think DC is in this for the money, I think he came with very good intentions but the football world is cruel business and unlike any other, only the very strong or the very lucky survive. He always promised us that he would leave us in a better state than when he took us on, to achieve that now would be a monumental task, the above on reflection looks exactly what it is, a non football man with a wad of cash trying to play Championship Manager.

Where do we go from here? I don’t really know but if DC is to remain, he needs to surround himself the required experience at all levels of the club, I don’t think we’ve hit rock bottom yet but lets hope we are getting properly prepared for the road back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

So we’re in a bit of a pickle but what has the Chansiri era done for us:

Initial signs were good, new pitch, new scoreboard, improvements pitch side, engagement with fans through forums and steering groups etc better quality players were brought in the impression that this long sleeping giant could finally be woken up. The negative side was the appointment of a relatively unknown quantity of a manager (CC) and the shock, sudden  increase in ticket prices, the unexpected performance of the former eased the shock of the latter. There was some great football culminating in a fantastic but ultimately disappointing day at Wembley, on leaving the ground many fans could see that with a few astute signings the following season could be the one.

Sadly this is where it all went wrong, to this day I have no idea who is responsible for buying players, even asking DC directly resulted in a fudged answer, we needed maybe three key players that window but what we got was a few scattershot buys that then had to be shoehorned in, the key positions we needed filling were still left wanting, yes we again reached the play offs but wiser planning could have given us so much more, in hindsight CC should have been replaced at that stage, he went on to have an awful 3rd season ending in a midway departure. We then move onto another unknown quantity in Jos Luhukay  who appeared to have been brought in to improve discipline, fitness and to tighten up the defence, we finished the season ok with a good home win v Norwich setting things up nicely.

The following season was a disaster, JL tried to go with youth who were clearly not ready and served up some of the worst football seen at S6, the chairman seemed unwilling to sack him until a fans forum turned his hand, his next appointment was his best move yet, experienced campaigner Steve Bruce, optimism was high for the following season until the word Newcastle appeared in the headlines and he was gone. Above all this we have always had the threat off FFP/P&S looming ominously in the background.

I don’t think DC is in this for the money, I think he came with very good intentions but the football world is cruel business and unlike any other, only the very strong or the very lucky survive. He always promised us that he would leave us in a better state than when he took us on, to achieve that now would be a monumental task, the above on reflection looks exactly what it is, a non football man with a wad of cash trying to play Championship Manager.

Where do we go from here? I don’t really know but if DC is to remain, he needs to surround himself the required experience at all levels of the club, I don’t think we’ve hit rock bottom yet but lets hope we are getting properly prepared for the road back.

a D taxi will be with us shortly.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

I don’t want to knock the guy, but I made a quick list the other day in my head of what he’s faced/created while he’s been here... the guy is either terribly unlucky or not cut out for this game at all. 

I'm certain that Monk he got to bless the stadium was a conman. 

• Haha 2

Being the usual pragmatic me, he's been a bit of a disaster, so far to be honest and took way too long to learn from his mistakes. 

The bottom line is he came in spent a tonne of cash.... 

Weve had one great session of good football, but still failed. 

We had one good session of terrible football that once again ended in close but no cigar. 

Were now 4managers on from SG and were in a less stable financial situation. 

Were lower in the table and God forbid may end up getting relagated due to failings to comply with the rules (weather right or wrong) of the competition. 

Not great reading to be fair. 

34 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

I don’t think DC is in this for the money

Agree with most of your post, bar this line. of course he is in it for the money (or was, I should say). Even if it is a fool's exercise, for someone like DC, money should absolutely be the motivation. Buy a scrappy Championship club. Get them promoted. Profit. 

If that wasn't his plan, then he's a bigger idiot than we could have imagined. 

Edited by bobness

Just now, bobness said:

Agree with most of your post, bar this line. of course he is in it for the money (or was, I should say). Even if it is a fool's exercise, for someone like DC, money should absolutely be the motivation. Buy a scrappy Championship club. Get them promoted. Profit. 

It maybe was his plan but I don't think it was the be all and end all, his family are rich beyond comprehension, he doesn't need it.

1 minute ago, bobness said:

Think Sheffield Wednesday to him was a vanity project. Get Wednesday promoted and enjoy the ego boost of fans singing your name and hob nobbing with the great and good in Boardrooms at all the major clubs. 

Just now, toppOwl said:

It maybe was his plan but I don't think it was the be all and end all, his family are rich beyond comprehension, he doesn't need it.

There might be a feel-good factor that comes with it, and there was definitely an ego trip as well (obvious, given he plastered his name everywhere), but the underlying factor must've been money, surely.

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think Sheffield Wednesday to him was a vanity project. Get Wednesday promoted and enjoy the ego boost of fans singing your name and hob nobbing with the great and good in Boardrooms at all the major clubs. 

:duntmatter::duntmatter::duntmatter:

• Haha 3

Given it some thought, and I suppose it could work that he's driven by the romance of it all

One morning his head pops off his pillow, and he says to himself "wouldn't it be nice to own a football club? that would be fun, wouldn't it?"

• Haha 1

Guest Bulgaria
9 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

No, your correct.

He came to Sheffield and blew absolutely millions because swfc fans deserve being in the premier league. 

And we are family.

6 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

No, your correct.

He came to Sheffield and blew absolutely millions because swfc fans deserve being in the premier league. 

And we are family.

Or maybe his son took an interest in the English game, he saw what other rich foreign owners had done and had the means to try and emulate them.