Guest wilyfox
6 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

The only reason I can think of to go with two is because i'd have liked to play Rhodes, and he's not going to be effective at all up front on his own.    At least with Winnall he is a bit of a battering ram and drags the defenders about a bit.

But then again why change?   It doesn't give the players incentive to do well if they think they may be randomly dropped next game anyway.

The challenge for Rhodes was to build on his showing at Forest. Hasn't done so. It's a shame. I really hoped that was his breakthrough moment, but he's gone back into his shell again. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, torres said:

If you go, you can do what you want for me.

Its the weirdos that moan on social media but don’t bother to shift from their front room that need to pipe down 

Not sure I see the difference. In some ways you get a better view on the screen than you do at the ground.  Really wish I could watch live though before anyone starts!!

Edited by Kagoshimaowl

3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

The challenge for Rhodes was to build on his showing at Forest. Hasn't done so. It's a shame. I really hoped that was his breakthrough moment, but he's gone back into his shell again. 

His overall performance against Forest was no different to any of his others apart from finishing the chances. 

We all know he offers very little to an overall team unit but play him in 10 games he will probably score 4 or 5 goals 

The team performance as a whole suffers though in my opinion - it’s the quandary we have found ourselves in since we signed him 

The reason why Middlesbrough got rid, why Scotland don’t pick him and why Blackburn stayed mid table 

1 hour ago, torres said:

If you go, you can do what you want for me.

Its the weirdos that moan on social media but don’t bother to shift from their front room that need to pipe down 

Just to clarify

I will be sat in the Cantilever

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

14 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I was just thinking ex player coming back to haunt you syndrome.

Just now, Salmonbones said:

Not heard it called that for years!

Really?

Probably showing my age

My son has decided he's driving today, so if we get there early enough I'll be having a pint of that lovely Wednesday Pale Ale

Under the Cantilever

2 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Really?

Probably showing my age

My son has decided he's driving today, so if we get there early enough I'll be having a pint of that lovely Wednesday Pale Ale

Under the Cantilever

The term was used at school a lot when I was about 8 or 9 as I remember. - "are you going on Saturday?  Yeah but I can't go on the kop with my mates, i'm on the Cantilever with me dad" - Probably because our dads all remembered it being built for 66 and were proud that it was the first in England (the world?) to run the entire length of the pitch.

I have to pull you up on one thing though.   That Wednesday pale ale.   It's nasty.   My wife got me some for Christmas from the kids, I didn't have the heart to tell her I don't really like it !!!

1 minute ago, Salmonbones said:

That Wednesday pale ale.   It's nasty.   My wife got me some for Christmas from the kids, I didn't have the heart to tell her I don't really like it !!!

I really like it, I just wish they didn’t serve it colder than a Slush Puppy, I literally get brain freeze trying to drink it before second half starts and (like anything else) it tastes of naff-all at 1 degree celsius

5 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

The term was used at school a lot when I was about 8 or 9 as I remember. - "are you going on Saturday?  Yeah but I can't go on the kop with my mates, i'm on the Cantilever with me dad" - Probably because our dads all remembered it being built for 66 and were proud that it was the first in England (the world?) to run the entire length of the pitch.

I have to pull you up on one thing though.   That Wednesday pale ale.   It's nasty.   My wife got me some for Christmas from the kids, I didn't have the heart to tell her I don't really like it !!!

If you've still got it, me and Mr Tom will have it

I firmly believe we need to start with a three man central midfield of Bannan, Luongo and Lee, home or away.

Call it 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1 doesn’t matter as long as we don’t sit in too deep at home.

If that means playing Winnall as single striker for 60 minutes I’m happy with that.
Nuhiu for the last 20 minutes against tiring defenders though, in fact I wouldn’t change anything from last week.

The vast, vast majority of top teams in this country play a 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation - Liverpool, Man City, Leicester, Manchester United, Arsenal etc. 

Like any system, it is how you play within it. It can be quite defensive or a very fluid, attacking system with lots of chances created. 

Does my nut in when people cry about the fact we are "only playing one up top". 

4-4-2 can be as dull, boring and regimented as any system. 

At the end of the day, Monk has identified what he thinks we are good at - trying to be defensively solid and slowly but surely grinding teams down. Every now and then we will just overwhelm a side (Forest, Boro), but more often than not (and i think this is usually the case in the Champ) you have to battle it out a bit and earn the right to play. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

The only "social media" I use is Owlstalk. Some of it has sensible comments the rest I usually ignore. Don't know why I responded to your post cos it's the same every week..

He is the chairman of the holier than though brigade,therefore the sad git is commited  to having a dig at those who can't get , but don't be to hard on him mate he can't help it , lol 

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

i'm a big fan of playing one upfront as long as its fletcher who does the role very well...…...not sure any of the other strikers can do as well on there own though .

we don't have anything else. keep in contention until 65 mins, and add on up top from the very slim pickings we have.

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Personally prefer 1 up front away. When at home I prefer us to set up more attacking rather than try and catch them on the break. However with the current choice of strikers we have to pick from I can’t see more than 1 of them starting. Really hope we get a new striker or 2 in ASAP. Would probably start with Winnall, Nuhiu should not be starting any games imo. So much more of a threat coming on when the other team are starting to feel the pace of the game. 

have to agree, winnall should start in a 'one up'.

1 hour ago, Salmonbones said:

pass it 'ere, i'll sup it, av' drunk wards and sam's, so i'll drink owt.