Pay on the gate is dead - and it’s a problem

5 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Unless you're being sarcastic, then I assume you mean we have to charge high prices in order to challenge for promotion. A tactic that is clearly not working.

You're answering questions I did not ask.

My question was - How do we challenge for promotion and charge low prices? 

Edited by Inspector Lestrade

Guest LittleG
3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Go on I give in "How do we challenge for promotion and charge low prices?" 

1 minute ago, A12owl said:

Does Chansiri know how supporters are feeling?Would he listen?

Would a fans committee be able to work with him?

Does he care about supporters?

I really cannot understand his way of running the commercial side of a football club.

He cannot continue sticking his head in the sand and ignoring the views of the supporters.

Can he?

Probably.

How does he square the circle? Gives what we want and gives DC a profit on ticket sales?

Funny thing is, although I go to matches much less than I used to, I still care about the club, its performances, results, the team and that will never leave me.

My early years as a supporter were in the 80's when we had a club and a team to be proud of. 

( and when paying on the gate didn't break the bank ) 

Somehow the bond between club and fan has been gradually dismantled but never more quickly than under DC's stewardship. 

I have the desire, time and funds to reconnect with the club but they are doing nothing to bring me in. 

Never felt more disengaged.

I won't be ripped off and I won't be treated like a mug and until the club work that one out I and many others like me won't be attendening with any regularity.

DC needs to go back to selling fish and sell the club (and ground) to someone who is willing to learn by mistakes and make us a family club again. 

Dtaxis and Elev8 are also an utter embarrassment. 

Just who tf does he think he is? 

• Thanks 1

Haven’t enjoyed trips to Hillsborough much in recent times, and as a non Sheffielder, when the fixtures come out, it gets lumped in with away days at places like Wigan and Luton. Might do the first and last home games, but it’s generally away days the rest of the time

Guest LittleG
2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Do you know how questions work?

I'm seeking the answer.  

I've got a reasonable amount of intelligence and know how question work. From the inference of your question it seemed to imply that charging low prices and challenging for promotion do not go cap in hand. In my humble opinion I was merely trying to point out that we have been charging exorbitant prices but still not challenging. I can only jump to the conclusion that prices charged to fans has no bearing on the performance of the team 

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

How does he square the circle? Gives what we want and gives DC a profit on ticket sales?

In my opinion Chansiri has never given a flying one for us or the club and never will. He thought he was on to a get RICHER quick scheme and soon came unstuck. His tact and diplomacy is appalling as his advisors judgement. I ,and others, have gone through some dire times since I first went in '63 but this bloke will ruin us financially and not care one jot if he can find a buyer. Chairmen /owners come and go and the only certain thing is the fans are here for a lifetime.

1 minute ago, LittleG said:

I've got a reasonable amount of intelligence and know how question work. From the inference of your question it seemed to imply that charging low prices and challenging for promotion do not go cap in hand. In my humble opinion I was merely trying to point out that we have been charging exorbitant prices but still not challenging. I can only jump to the conclusion that prices charged to fans has no bearing on the performance of the team 

There was no inference implied its a straightforward question and I admit a very difficult one to answer. 

It could be argued that we have been challenging since DC has been here and still are (not that I'm optimistic).  

I just would like to see a working model which could be implemented at Hillsborough. where prices are low and success is achieved.

27 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

we probably couldn't but sensible prices in line with what other clubs charge it could be possible ……..

8 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

In my opinion Chansiri has never given a flying one for us or the club and never will. He thought he was on to a get RICHER quick scheme and soon came unstuck. His tact and diplomacy is appalling as his advisors judgement. I ,and others, have gone through some dire times since I first went in '63 but this bloke will ruin us financially and not care one jot if he can find a buyer. Chairmen /owners come and go and the only certain thing is the fans are here for a lifetime.

Well pleased you have got that off your chest but I can't see how it helps.  

1 hour ago, alleycat said:

Since the day DC took over the only business plan the club has had is to get into the Premier League, which in itself isn’t a bad plan..............as long as you actually get promoted to the Premier League!!

Every year that’s passed since he arrived, and every year that passes going forward that we don’t get promoted just exacerbates the fact that there is absolutely no plan B and puts the club deeper in the mire.

Season one. Ramping up the ticket prices to the highest in the league doesn’t matter because we’re going to get promoted this season and once we’re in the PL people will think nothing of paying these prices and we’ll sell the ground out every home game. Problem being that we didn’t get promoted, but we’d spent loads of money not getting promoted.

Not to worry, we’ll throw loads more money at it in season two, keep the ticket prices high, and get promoted this year. Oops.

And so on and so on.

The issue with the original (and still the current) business plan is that he’s now got nowhere to go. It was 100% reliant on us going up that first season (or the second season as a last resort). Had we done so then everyone would have scrambled to buy a season ticket for fear of not being able to buy a ticket on a match by match basis but while ever we’re in the Championship we’ll max out at around 20k to 22k season ticket holders and you can now forget about POTG revenue as it’s negligible. The money the people who pay on the gate generate isn’t even a drop in the ocean.

He’s backed himself into a corner. The clubs haemorrhaging money every day/month/year and therefore he can’t afford to drop season ticket prices as we’d just end up losing more money. Therefore, as the ST prices need to be kept at that level there’s no margin to reduce POTD prices.

We’re now in a vicious circle. Every year that goes by without us getting promoted highlights the short sightedness of the business plan.

Lets look at where we are now, compared to the day DC walked through the door:

The new pitch looks great. Yeah but we’re still in the Championship.

The scoreboard’s brilliant. Yeah but we’re still in the Championship.

That first season was the best football we’d played for years. Yeah but we’re still in the Championship.

We had a great day out at Wembley. We’re still in the Championship.

We’ve got the highest ticket prices in the league. The (Championship) league.

We pay some of the highest wages in the league. Still the (Championship) league.

We’re in a big big mess. We’ve paid the big bucks to the “best” players over the last few years and rather than being in the PL we’re actually no better off league wise than the day he walked through the door. In actual fact, now that the plan hasn’t worked these “best” players will need to be off loaded (quite rightly as it happens, as by and large they’re a disgrace to the shirt) as we are in deep deep shite P&S wise.

Which leads to the question of the ground sale and possible sanctions. The issue isn’t the value, it’s the fact that we put the ground sale into the previous years accounts (allegedly). So a question to all the people who think it was a master stroke and that there’s some conspiracy against us by the EFL.

Why didn’t we just sell the ground a year earlier and put it in that years accounts. Non of this EFL stuff would then be happening.

Answer is that (once again) he gambled that we’d get promoted. (Once again) we didn’t and therefore here we are facing a possible points deduction. Time will tell whether we, or the EFL are right but hey ho. The fact that the club were even in the position of having to “sell” the ground is a disgrace and down to one man and one man only.

Some people can wax lyrical all they like about the great position the clubs in at the moment and that DC “saved” us but it would be because they’re looking through blue and white tinted specs.

Any supporter who thinks about our current situation and looks at it objectively and isn’t deeply worried is a fool. This club is in a big big mess at the moment. And it’s not because we’ve lost three on the bounce. That’s the least of our worries.

Perhaps the best post on Owlstalk in years. 

Any other club Chansiri would be being hounded out the door. Here, he is still posing for selfies with adoring fans. 

32 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

The same way other clubs do. Have reasonable prices bringing in fans, bringing in spending. More importantly sell players and replace them. 
Don’t charge high prices to pay for players on exorbitant wages to sit on their ‘arris not doing anything. 

As stated by Kivo, DC’s only plan was to get to the Premier League ASAP.  In order to get his money back, this will not change. 

Unless he admits failure and sells, cuts his losses.  But he seems quite stubborn. 

It’s like watching a gambler Desperately chasing his losses

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

we probably couldn't but sensible prices in line with what other clubs charge it could be possible ……..

Especially if it was allied to sensible recruitment Sure I keep saying it, but post Wembley we could have saved ourselves millions by intelligent use of the loan system All that was needed was 2 or 3 players, but we splashed millions on a whole raft of players who were no better than what we have. The thing is, the same applies now, three strategic signings, young loanees from the Premier League, and we can balance the squad Hopefully, through default, we may actually decide to do that

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stanningtonowl said:

The same way other clubs do. Have reasonable prices bringing in fans, bringing in spending. More importantly sell players and replace them. 
Don’t charge high prices to pay for players on exorbitant wages to sit on their ‘arris not doing anything. 

Thanks at last.   

Can some one now come up with the finer detail. Who do we sell and buy and what prices do we charge? lol 

Edited by Inspector Lestrade