Pay on the gate is dead - and it’s a problem

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Spot on.

I dont think some people appreciate how easy it is to completely get out of the habit of going. 

I had a season ticket back when we were League One, and got out of the habit - Have to admit, even if the price was £10 for entry, I wouldn't go - The football isn't worth paying to watch, and there is very little match day experience at Hillsborough (and it's cold)

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Spot on.

I dont think some people appreciate how easy it is to completely get out of the habit of going. 

usually the season ticket holders who cant seem to grasp it.

i know loads of lads who just arent bothered anymore, variety of reasons but cost is probably the most common

• Thanks 1

The problem with the current S/T strategy is that the prices can't be reduced either, not this year - next or for the next four(?) at least

When we sell inflated tickets on multi-year deals, it doesn't leave very far to move...

Edited by Koper

1 hour ago, crookesowl said:

Ok so I get the strategy - make season tickets attractive vs POTG but how many people are we losing through the pain of buying tickets on match day? 

I see at every match the long queue at the south stand ticket hut and I think it’s disgraceful that we make it painful for fans to hand over their money on match day. 

We have a good core of season ticket holders but where is everyone else? I used to be a POTG as I would decide last minute. I would not do that now - too expensive and painful. 

Its a major problem IMO. We should be doing everything to attract ALL fans, and making it easy for them to watch our club. 

I think you mean ‘make season tickets look attractive’. The fact is that even season ticket holders are getting ripped off at Hillsborough. The ST prices appear to be a good deal when compared to ‘on-the-day’ prices, but in reality they are not. 

Genuinely, I am very worried about current circumstances. Our club is sick and one of the main roots of this sickness are the ticket prices. 

I am not a season ticket holder. Because of the ticket prices, I pick and choose my games and will attend Hillsborough two or three times per season. I decided on the Saturday morning, fairly last minute, that I would attend the home fixture Vs Barnsley earlier this season. I went online to purchase a ticket only to find out that the ticket purchasing website wasn’t working. The only other way was to ring the ticket office. I decided to commence my 1 hour 20 minute journey to Hillsborough and call the ticket office while driving (on my hands-free). I was on hold for the whole journey. I parked 10 mins walk away from the ground and continued to

be placed on hold. So I’m now walking to the ground having been on hold for 1 hour 30 mins. I get to the ticket office. Still on hold. So I decided to queue up. I queued for 40 minutes. I asked the woman in the ticket office why I had been on hold indefinitely and her response was ‘Oh, we’re not answering the phones today’. So, I (behind very gritted teeth) parted with my circa £40 and purchased a ticket. I entered the ground 20 minutes after kick off and had missed the first goal. What an awful consumer experience. I’ve become slightly obsessed with this notion. To the point where I cannot see myself attending Hillsborough again this season.

Since the day DC took over the only business plan the club has had is to get into the Premier League, which in itself isn’t a bad plan..............as long as you actually get promoted to the Premier League!!

Every year that’s passed since he arrived, and every year that passes going forward that we don’t get promoted just exacerbates the fact that there is absolutely no plan B and puts the club deeper in the mire.

Season one. Ramping up the ticket prices to the highest in the league doesn’t matter because we’re going to get promoted this season and once we’re in the PL people will think nothing of paying these prices and we’ll sell the ground out every home game. Problem being that we didn’t get promoted, but we’d spent loads of money not getting promoted.

Not to worry, we’ll throw loads more money at it in season two, keep the ticket prices high, and get promoted this year. Oops.

And so on and so on.

The issue with the original (and still the current) business plan is that he’s now got nowhere to go. It was 100% reliant on us going up that first season (or the second season as a last resort). Had we done so then everyone would have scrambled to buy a season ticket for fear of not being able to buy a ticket on a match by match basis but while ever we’re in the Championship we’ll max out at around 20k to 22k season ticket holders and you can now forget about POTG revenue as it’s negligible. The money the people who pay on the gate generate isn’t even a drop in the ocean.

He’s backed himself into a corner. The clubs haemorrhaging money every day/month/year and therefore he can’t afford to drop season ticket prices as we’d just end up losing more money. Therefore, as the ST prices need to be kept at that level there’s no margin to reduce POTD prices.

We’re now in a vicious circle. Every year that goes by without us getting promoted highlights the short sightedness of the business plan.

Lets look at where we are now, compared to the day DC walked through the door:

The new pitch looks great. Yeah but we’re still in the Championship.

The scoreboard’s brilliant. Yeah but we’re still in the Championship.

That first season was the best football we’d played for years. Yeah but we’re still in the Championship.

We had a great day out at Wembley. We’re still in the Championship.

We’ve got the highest ticket prices in the league. The (Championship) league.

We pay some of the highest wages in the league. Still the (Championship) league.

We’re in a big big mess. We’ve paid the big bucks to the “best” players over the last few years and rather than being in the PL we’re actually no better off league wise than the day he walked through the door. In actual fact, now that the plan hasn’t worked these “best” players will need to be off loaded (quite rightly as it happens, as by and large they’re a disgrace to the shirt) as we are in deep deep shite P&S wise.

Which leads to the question of the ground sale and possible sanctions. The issue isn’t the value, it’s the fact that we put the ground sale into the previous years accounts (allegedly). So a question to all the people who think it was a master stroke and that there’s some conspiracy against us by the EFL.

Why didn’t we just sell the ground a year earlier and put it in that years accounts. Non of this EFL stuff would then be happening.

Answer is that (once again) he gambled that we’d get promoted. (Once again) we didn’t and therefore here we are facing a possible points deduction. Time will tell whether we, or the EFL are right but hey ho. The fact that the club were even in the position of having to “sell” the ground is a disgrace and down to one man and one man only.

Some people can wax lyrical all they like about the great position the clubs in at the moment and that DC “saved” us but it would be because they’re looking through blue and white tinted specs.

Any supporter who thinks about our current situation and looks at it objectively and isn’t deeply worried is a fool. This club is in a big big mess at the moment. And it’s not because we’ve lost three on the bounce. That’s the least of our worries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Can only speak from personal experience in recent years so here goes

About 20 of us used to POTG and drink around Hillsborough corner all day

Now we just stay in the pub and watch scores coming in because going to Hillsborough is a rip-off 

Still go to odd games but mostly away games 

it’s a real shame but that’s how it is

7 minutes ago, alleycat said:

Since the day DC took over the only business plan the club has had is to get into the Premier League, which in itself isn’t a bad plan..............as long as you actually get promoted to the Premier League!!

Every year that’s passed since he arrived, and every year that passes going forward that we don’t get promoted just exacerbates the fact that there is absolutely no plan B and puts the club deeper in the mire.

Season one. Ramping up the ticket prices to the highest in the league doesn’t matter because we’re going to get promoted this season and once we’re in the PL people will think nothing of paying these prices and we’ll sell the ground out every home game. Problem being that we didn’t get promoted, but we’d spent loads of money not getting promoted.

Not to worry, we’ll throw loads more money at it in season two, keep the ticket prices high, and get promoted this year. Oops.

And so on and so on.

The issue with the original (and still the current) business plan is that he’s now got nowhere to go. It was 100% reliant on us going up that first season (or the second season as a last resort). Had we done so then everyone would have scrambled to buy a season ticket for fear of not being able to buy a ticket on a match by match basis but while ever we’re in the Championship we’ll max out at around 20k to 22k season ticket holders and you can now forget about POTG revenue as it’s negligible. The money the people who pay on the gate generate isn’t even a drop in the ocean.

He’s backed himself into a corner. The clubs haemorrhaging money every day/month/year and therefore he can’t afford to drop season ticket prices as we’d just end up losing more money. Therefore, as the ST prices need to be kept at that level there’s no margin to reduce POTD prices.

We’re now in a vicious circle. Every year that goes by without us getting promoted highlights the short sightedness of the business plan.

That first season was the best football we’d played for years. Yeah but we’re still in the Championship.

We pay some of the highest wages in the league. Still the (Championship) league.

We’re in a big big mess. We’ve paid the big bucks to the “best” players over the last few years and rather than being in the PL we’re actually no better off league wise than the day he walked through the door. In actual fact, now that the plan hasn’t worked these “best” players will need to be off loaded (quite rightly as it happens, as by and large they’re a disgrace to the shirt) as we are in deep deep shite P&S wise.

Which leads to the question of the ground sale and possible sanctions. The issue isn’t the value, it’s the fact that we put the ground sale into the previous years accounts (allegedly). So a question to all the people who think it was a master stroke and that there’s some conspiracy against us by the EFL.

Why didn’t we just sell the ground a year earlier and put it in that years accounts. Non of this EFL stuff would then be happening.

Answer is that (once again) he gambled that we’d get promoted. (Once again) we didn’t and therefore here we are facing a possible points deduction. Time will tell whether we, or the EFL are right but hey ho. The fact that the club were even in the position of having to “sell” the ground is a disgrace and down to one man and one man only.

Some people can wax lyrical all they like about the great position the clubs in at the moment and that DC “saved” us but it would be because they’re looking through blue and white tinted specs.

Any supporter who thinks about our current situation and looks at it objectively and isn’t deeply worried is a fool. This club is in a big big mess at the moment. And it’s not because we’ve lost three on the bounce. That’s the least of our worries.

Post of the year so far ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

11 minutes ago, BingleyOwl said:

I think you mean ‘make season tickets look attractive’. The fact is that even season ticket holders are getting ripped off at Hillsborough. The ST prices appear to be a good deal when compared to ‘on-the-day’ prices, but in reality they are not. 

Genuinely, I am very worried about current circumstances. Our club is sick and one of the main roots of this sickness are the ticket prices. 

I am not a season ticket holder. Because of the ticket prices, I pick and choose my games and will attend Hillsborough two or three times per season. I decided on the Saturday morning, fairly last minute, that I would attend the home fixture Vs Barnsley earlier this season. I went online to purchase a ticket only to find out that the ticket purchasing website wasn’t working. The only other way was to ring the ticket office. I decided to commence my 1 hour 20 minute journey to Hillsborough and call the ticket office while driving (on my hands-free). I was on hold for the whole journey. I parked 10 mins walk away from the ground and continued to

be placed on hold. So I’m now walking to the ground having been on hold for 1 hour 30 mins. I get to the ticket office. Still on hold. So I decided to queue up. I queued for 40 minutes. I asked the woman in the ticket office why I had been on hold indefinitely and her response was ‘Oh, we’re not answering the phones today’. So, I (behind very gritted teeth) parted with my circa £40 and purchased a ticket. I entered the ground 20 minutes after kick off and had missed the first goal. What an awful consumer experience. I’ve become slightly obsessed with this notion. To the point where I cannot see myself attending Hillsborough again this season.

That is absolutely atrocious. I imagine there are similar experiences every week 

I don’t know why we haven’t got a SWFC app, where you can buy a ticket through the app and download it onto apple wallet or equivalent. Scan it at the turnstiles 

Or recharge (buy a ticket Through the app) a card that you buy for £1, like you do a Public transport/ travel card. Similar, scan it at the Turnstile. 

Then people can decide last minute if they want. 

If you buy 5 tickets, next game free. 

Make it easy. 

• Like 1

Guest Theboylangers
24 minutes ago, alleycat said:

And so on and so on.

Regrettably, I agree with quite a lot of your analysis of the position we find ourselves in. 

Got 3 season tickets in our family ,2x adults, 1 x U10 ,all been unused for past 3 games.

Youngest after 3 years doesn't want to go any more,I only got one so I could take young one,3rd member used to go with his potg mates but all stopped going now.

Offered all 3  for every game to fans that used to go,and no one wanted them because they said the whole Hillsboro football experience as put them off.

Some of these people had held season tickets for up to 20 years until the last few years.

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

How do we challenge for promotion and charge low prices? 

We're charging high prices and still not challenging for promotion; so what's your point.

6 minutes ago, wiltonowl said:

Got 3 season tickets in our family ,2x adults, 1 x U10 ,all been unused for past 3 games.

Youngest after 3 years doesn't want to go any more,I only got one so I could take young one,3rd member used to go with his potg mates but all stopped going now.

Offered all 3  for every game to fans that used to go,and no one wanted them because they said the whole Hillsboro football experience as put them off.

Some of these people had held season tickets for up to 20 years until the last few years.

Football experience or Hillsborough football experience? They didn’t like the product on or off the pitch or both? 

Edited by Rogers

32 minutes ago, alleycat said:

And so on and so on.

This is an almighty post. Good work and summarises my thoughts exactly.

Guest LittleG
54 minutes ago, edited said:

usually the season ticket holders who cant seem to grasp it.

i know loads of lads who just arent bothered anymore, variety of reasons but cost is probably the most common

Trust me the season ticket holders do grasp it; the vast majority agree that the  pay on the day prices are exorbitant. 

Guest LittleG
2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I thought my point was obvious.   

Unless you're being sarcastic, then I assume you mean we have to charge high prices in order to challenge for promotion. A tactic that is clearly not working.

Guest LittleG
6 minutes ago, BingleyOwl said:

This is an almighty post. Good work and summarises my thoughts exactly.

Can you summarise in bullet points.