Pay on the gate is dead - and it’s a problem

Reduce season ticket costs across the board (kids and OAP prices are very good however)

£15 per game on the Kop 

£19 per game on the North 

£22 per game on the South 

Allow credit, pay per month etc - make it so easy and simple to get one. 

Ensure shop discount, get discount on food and drinks in the ground, get together with local businesses to get deals etc - LIKE OTHER CLUBS DO!!

Make season ticket holders feel valued rather than taken for granted 

Away fans tickets £26 every match 

Push for 25-26k every home match pure season tickets and away fans 

We do well - the less bothered will turn up 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, james o connor said:

Ask Huddersfield ? Ask Fulham ?  Ask every other team that charges less that Us (every single team) . Ripping the fans off proved to be a stupid and fruitless exercise . Just lost a whole heap of casual supporters . Baring In mind for youngsters growing up we have that shower charging less and playing decent football In the premiership  or Wednesday charging obscene stupid prices for dross football with past it players . With no allegiance who’s going. To be the more  attractive proposition 

Save your breath

1 hour ago, gillyno9 said:

Interesting thread.......... rewind 3 years ago and the op would have been absolutely ran out of town.

The vast majority of fans were of the opinion that if we were to try and achieve promotion then we as fans, should be prepared to dig deep into our pockets and pay the high ticket prices and buy the sh!t merchandise at whatever cost.

fast forward to 2020 and enthusiasm has subsided dramatically, and this could well be the year fans vote with their feet. (Myself included)

Season tickets = still expensive 

potg = extortionate 

kits = expensive and poor quality 

catering = still shambolic

Club shop = joke

All this with a team that’s no further on in looking like getting promoted, and still has the same squad members (dead wood) on huge wages not delivering. Westwood, FF, Rhodes, Lee, Winnall etc.  

Tho whole club at present is NOT value for money in any capacity. This is making the match day/Hillsborough experience what it is at the minute.

That opening sentence,  still sticks in my throat 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

No point re-opening this. What is done is done.

The ticket prices are locked in, so is the poor recruitment and terrible retention.

It will take a generation to change. 

You have to stick with it - for the long term now, and just hope the Chairman sees it through too.

Disagree. 

Bring back targeted well priced POTG offers and allow people to actually POTG rather than queue next to a hut and miss the start of the game.

Also get the local schools along with free match day tickets. 

We have the capacity to do all this.

29 minutes ago, torres said:

Reduce season ticket costs across the board (kids and OAP prices are very good however)

£15 per game on the Kop 

£19 per game on the North 

£22 per game on the South 

Allow credit, pay per month etc - make it so easy and simple to get one. 

Ensure shop discount, get discount on food and drinks in the ground, get together with local businesses to get deals etc - LIKE OTHER CLUBS DO!!

Make season ticket holders feel valued rather than taken for granted 

Away fans tickets £26 every match 

Push for 25-26k every home match pure season tickets and away fans 

We do well - the less bothered will turn up 

Missing the point. 

There are lots of reasons people don’t get season tickets. Affordability, other commitments, and those who are not yet fully bought in to the club but want a few days out a year. 

we have to compete with the other lot in the PL now to get new supporters. 

we take our following for granted. Trust me it’s dwindling. 

3 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

Disagree. 

Bring back targeted well priced POTG offers and allow people to actually POTG rather than queue next to a hut and miss the start of the game.

Also get the local schools along with free match day tickets. 

We have the capacity to do all this.

I wouldn’t be against filling bottom of the leppings with school kids 

1 hour ago, Ferkorf said:

We just dont have the support anymore.

Infact I cant remember in my lifetime us ever having a huge average attendance and im 35.

I dont know how many people don't understand that.

Yes we have a MASSIVE Fanbase but not all of them are bothered about going to games because they never go to games.

We all had the mates that went to wembley that either never went to a game before or hadnt been since the 90s.

The reason they don't isnt the ticket cost its because they arent really into football at all.

20 to 25k is our solid base, then theres those that pick and choose games if we are actually playing well.

Never going to get 30k average at Hillsborough unless we get to the prem

I actually think we could easily average 30k at this level. This is dependent on ticket prices and quality of football being reasonable.

The first two or three seasons under Chansiri’s ownership we averaged 27K or above - and ticket prices were the most expensive in the League. 

You’re 35. For the vast majority (at least 20 years) of your life, we have been a very poor club, on the edge of extinction and yoyo’ing between League 1 and the Championship. For the first few years of your life, namely mid 80s to mid 90s we had a good, successful squad. Our average home attendances during that time we’re 27k+. At the time, these were among the highest average attendances in the country.

1 minute ago, crookesowl said:

Missing the point. 

There are lots of reasons people don’t get season tickets. Affordability, other commitments, and those who are not yet fully bought in to the club but want a few days out a year. 

we have to compete with the other lot in the PL now to get new supporters. 

we take our following for granted. Trust me it’s dwindling. 

Like any business - start with the core of your customer base  - ensure they are satisfied 

If they are happy and get perceived value for money, the business will grow. 

At the minute most feel over charged and under valued 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Justbeanz said:

Truly turned my stomach reading this. The mind boggles.

I agree - we really shouldn’t employ Paul Jones, David Bates & Julian Borner and pay them a salary of £0.

At least put them on minimum wage or something.

Edited by Westfield Owl
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, horny owl said:

Can only speak from personal experience in recent years so here goes

About 20 of us used to POTG and drink around Hillsborough corner all day

Now we just stay in the pub and watch scores coming in because going to Hillsborough is a rip-off 

Still go to odd games but mostly away games 

it’s a real shame but that’s how it is

So you will happily spend the extra few quid on booze?

Maybe you are more of a drinking fan than football?

I just dont get how an extra 10 quid is that much of an issue. More of an excuse for majority.

58 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

No point re-opening this. What is done is done.

The ticket prices are locked in, so is the poor recruitment and terrible retention.

It will take a generation to change. 

You have to stick with it - for the long term now, and just hope the Chairman sees it through too.

There’s no reason for it to be locked in other than one man’s view. 

And what exactly is seeing it through?  

I “got out of the habit” some years ago.

i guess I first bought a season ticket 40 years ago and even when I lived in Coventry I carried on. Once the kids came along, I became more POTG and could work around family stuff, pick and chose my games etc. Then as the kids got a bit older, we went to games together, but it became expensive and the games became fewer. Tickets, stuff from the club shop, program, bit of food and drink etc etc it all added up to an expensive day out.

In the last few years, we hardly ever go. When we do, it’s a train from Nottingham, tram to and from the ground and a few beers. It’s even more expensive than ever.

I miss it enormously in truth, I started going 50 years ago, but it’s simply too much hassle if we decide last minute to come home for the match. Night matches particularly, if we finished work in time, we’d often shoot straight up the motorway. I don’t understand how a club that needs every penny it can lay its hands on puts such obstacles in the way of me and many others spending Saturday at Hillsborough rather than playing bloody golf!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

I just dont get how an extra 10 quid is that much of an issue. More of an excuse for majority.

It’s about value for money not excuses. 

I could afford to spend £20 on a bag of chips but I won’t because it’s a rip off. I can afford to buy Sports Mix at the motorway services but I won’t.  If people feel they’re being ripped off they’re less likely to shell out - regardless of whether they can “afford” it. 

Rob doggery is is a huge deterrence from shelling out. 

5 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

20 people, £10 extra is £200 on top of the £400 if the ticket price was say £20. Add to that they have to mess around queuing at a hut and I can see why people don’t want to go. 

12 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

There’s no reason for it to be locked in other than one man’s view. 

And what exactly is seeing it through?  

Spot on.

It's a massively flawed approach and policy, and it needs scrapping.

The damage won't be reversed overnight, it will take years. The sooner it's scrapped though, the sooner we can start trying to get people back in the ground, and address the diabolical atmosphere.

Even season ticket holders see this. They only have to look at the pensioners sat round them on matchdays looking miserable.

The only people who can't see our pricing is wrong is DC, a mod and 2 posters on here.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Spot on.

It's a massively flawed approach and policy, and it needs scrapping.

The damage won't be reversed overnight, it will take years. The sooner it's scrapped though, the sooner we can start trying to get people back in the ground, and address the diabolical atmosphere.

Even season ticket holders see this. They only have to look at the pensioners sat round them on matchdays looking miserable.

The only people who can't see our pricing is wrong is DC, a mod and 2 posters on here.

What is DC’s logic do we think? 

High season ticket costs 

Ridiculously high pay on the day costs 

The bit of merchandise we have is overpriced tat 

Or is he just a bit dim?

Just now, torres said:

What is DC’s logic do we think? 

High season ticket costs 

Ridiculously high pay on the day costs 

The bit of merchandise we have is overpriced tat 

Or is he just a bit dim?

Don't think he's dim at all.

His original logic was get a good solid base of season ticket holders while the product was decent on the field. That was 5 years ago, and as with all of his strategies he has no plan B.

It all comes back to not having or listening to a capable advisor in my opinion.

Just now, Mr Farrell said:

Don't think he's dim at all.

His original logic was get a good solid base of season ticket holders while the product was decent on the field. That was 5 years ago, and as with all of his strategies he has no plan B.

It all comes back to not having or listening to a capable advisor in my opinion.

The first thing he did was increase season ticket prices - not sure this was ever a good move