Pay on the gate is dead - and it’s a problem

6 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Well pleased you have got that off your chest but I can't see how it helps.

7 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Well pleased you have got that off your chest but I can't see how it helps.  

Apologies I thought it was allowed to express an opinion.....

Guest LittleG
6 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

There was no inference implied its a straightforward question and I admit a very difficult one to answer. 

It could be argued that we have been challenging since DC has been here and still are (not that I'm optimistic).  

I just would like to see a working model which could be implemented at Hillsborough. where prices are low and success is achieved.

It looks like we both want the same thing. Pricing people out of coming to matches is doing more harm than good; I just wish he could see the problems this is causing. I know it's not all his fault tbat people stay away ( SAG restrictions) but he's not helping his own cause.

Every empty seat is a missed revenue opportunity and if DC can't see that he's thicker than I thought.

Impression I get is that ST's largely don't care what POTG's pay and unless I missed something they'd rather see the full ground with a buzzing atmosphere.

It's a morgue at the moment and is there any wonder. 

DC needs to take a long hard look in the mirror and decide once and for all if he's in this for the right reasons. 

If not just sell up and let's both move on. 

1 minute ago, LittleG said:

It looks like we both want the same thing. Pricing people out of coming to matches is doing more harm than good; I just wish he could see the problems this is causing. I know it's not all his fault tbat people stay away ( SAG restrictions) but he's not helping his own cause.

The only thing we can do is sell the high wage earners or let them go and hope that we can sign less well known players on lower wages and hope that they will be successful.  Which is a very risky route to take in my humble opinion.

1 minute ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

Every empty seat is a missed revenue opportunity and if DC can't see that he's thicker than I thought.

Impression I get is that ST's largely don't care what POTG's pay and unless I missed something they'd rather see the full ground with a buzzing atmosphere.

It's a morgue at the moment and is there any wonder. 

DC needs to take a long hard look in the mirror and decide once and for all if he's in this for the right reasons. 

If not just sell up and let's both move on. 

Your just repeating what everyone is saying.

We need answers not questions.

How would you solve it?

Guest LittleG
10 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Thanks at last.   

Can some one now come up with the finer detail. Who do we sell and buy and what prices do we charge? lol 

If you knew the answer why ask the question?  

Make it affordable and the stadium accessible, do that and I'll return and I'll actively attend again. 

Simple. 

In its current state I'm not being inconvenienced and hassled to get to in and out of the stadium and paying top prices for the privilege. 

I don't care if we are rubbish, jeez I've forgotten what it's like to have a good team. I'll still come along to enjoy the day, because the game is only 90 minutes of that day out. 

Just get the price right and the stadium right. Until then, no more cash from me or my kids. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

Funny thing is, although I go to matches much less than I used to, I still care about the club, its performances, results, the team and that will never leave me.

My early years as a supporter were in the 80's when we had a club and a team to be proud of. 

( and when paying on the gate didn't break the bank ) 

Somehow the bond between club and fan has been gradually dismantled but never more quickly than under DC's stewardship. 

I have the desire, time and funds to reconnect with the club but they are doing nothing to bring me in. 

Never felt more disengaged.

I won't be ripped off and I won't be treated like a mug and until the club work that one out I and many others like me won't be attendening with any regularity.

DC needs to go back to selling fish and sell the club (and ground) to someone who is willing to learn by mistakes and make us a family club again. 

Dtaxis and Elev8 are also an utter embarrassment. 

Just who tf does he think he is? 

Sell the club, but he can keep the ground, it’s time we moved anyway

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Your just repeating what everyone is saying.

We need answers not questions.

How would you solve it?

I'm not repeating anything I'm just saying what I think. 

So if we have say 10k seats on average spare every home match what would you do? 

A) do nothing and get nothing 

B) Charge say £25 all areas for each of next 4 home games to test the water. 

If it doesn't work he can always revert to plan A ( if you can call that a plan ) 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

There was no inference implied its a straightforward question and I admit a very difficult one to answer. 

It could be argued that we have been challenging since DC has been here and still are (not that I'm optimistic).  

I just would like to see a working model which could be implemented at Hillsborough. where prices are low and success is achieved.

You don’t have to look far. Drive across the city and you’ll find your answer. 

1 minute ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

I'm not repeating anything I'm just saying what I think. 

So if we have say 10k seats on average spare every home match what would you do? 

A) do nothing and get nothing 

B) Charge say £25 all areas for each of next 4 home games to test the water. 

If it doesn't work he can always revert to plan A ( if you can call that a plan ) 

That's a start was expecting something a bit more exciting to be honest but worth a go.  

1 hour ago, alleycat said:

Since the day DC took over the only business plan the club has had is to get into the Premier League, which in itself isn’t a bad plan..............as long as you actually get promoted to the Premier League!!

Every year that’s passed since he arrived, and every year that passes going forward that we don’t get promoted just exacerbates the fact that there is absolutely no plan B and puts the club deeper in the mire.

Season one. Ramping up the ticket prices to the highest in the league doesn’t matter because we’re going to get promoted this season and once we’re in the PL people will think nothing of paying these prices and we’ll sell the ground out every home game. Problem being that we didn’t get promoted, but we’d spent loads of money not getting promoted.

Not to worry, we’ll throw loads more money at it in season two, keep the ticket prices high, and get promoted this year. Oops.

And so on and so on.

The issue with the original (and still the current) business plan is that he’s now got nowhere to go. It was 100% reliant on us going up that first season (or the second season as a last resort). Had we done so then everyone would have scrambled to buy a season ticket for fear of not being able to buy a ticket on a match by match basis but while ever we’re in the Championship we’ll max out at around 20k to 22k season ticket holders and you can now forget about POTG revenue as it’s negligible. The money the people who pay on the gate generate isn’t even a drop in the ocean.

He’s backed himself into a corner. The clubs haemorrhaging money every day/month/year and therefore he can’t afford to drop season ticket prices as we’d just end up losing more money. Therefore, as the ST prices need to be kept at that level there’s no margin to reduce POTD prices.

We’re now in a vicious circle. Every year that goes by without us getting promoted highlights the short sightedness of the business plan.

Lets look at where we are now, compared to the day DC walked through the door:

The new pitch looks great. Yeah but we’re still in the Championship.

The scoreboard’s brilliant. Yeah but we’re still in the Championship.

That first season was the best football we’d played for years. Yeah but we’re still in the Championship.

We had a great day out at Wembley. We’re still in the Championship.

We’ve got the highest ticket prices in the league. The (Championship) league.

We pay some of the highest wages in the league. Still the (Championship) league.

We’re in a big big mess. We’ve paid the big bucks to the “best” players over the last few years and rather than being in the PL we’re actually no better off league wise than the day he walked through the door. In actual fact, now that the plan hasn’t worked these “best” players will need to be off loaded (quite rightly as it happens, as by and large they’re a disgrace to the shirt) as we are in deep deep shite P&S wise.

Which leads to the question of the ground sale and possible sanctions. The issue isn’t the value, it’s the fact that we put the ground sale into the previous years accounts (allegedly). So a question to all the people who think it was a master stroke and that there’s some conspiracy against us by the EFL.

Why didn’t we just sell the ground a year earlier and put it in that years accounts. Non of this EFL stuff would then be happening.

Answer is that (once again) he gambled that we’d get promoted. (Once again) we didn’t and therefore here we are facing a possible points deduction. Time will tell whether we, or the EFL are right but hey ho. The fact that the club were even in the position of having to “sell” the ground is a disgrace and down to one man and one man only.

Some people can wax lyrical all they like about the great position the clubs in at the moment and that DC “saved” us but it would be because they’re looking through blue and white tinted specs.

Any supporter who thinks about our current situation and looks at it objectively and isn’t deeply worried is a fool. This club is in a big big mess at the moment. And it’s not because we’ve lost three on the bounce. That’s the least of our worries.

Would disagree with very little except I would argue that even if ST prices remained constant there is plenty of scope to reduce POTG prices. For many many years the difference between the ST average match price and the POTG was 15-20%. I believe that the current avg. price with a ST is about £25 which is would mean POTG of £28-£30. not cheap but significantly below what is bring charged but mostly not being paid as fans will not be ripped off.

• Like 1