Owls want Lyle Taylor

On 14/12/2019 at 13:24, LittleG said:

Not sure I've seen any posts stating that our strikers were our strongest area. From the start of the season the opinion has been that we need 1 or 2 pacy strikers to complement Fletch who, like you state, is the only consistent one we have.

Was a frequent opinion throughout the entire summer especially around the sale Joao

Guest LittleG
24 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Was a frequent opinion throughout the entire summer especially around the sale Joao

As far as I can remember, after releasing Hooper and selling Joao, the majority of people were hoping that we would sign another striker as they had little confidence in Winnall and Rhodes stepping up. We'll just have to agree to disagree. 

Haven't seen much of him, but he's highly rated, in the prime of his career and believe he has a bit of pace. If the injury problem isn't serious and the fee is reasonable then seems like the kind of player we should be signing. If we can swap for someone like Winnall who is surplus to requirements it won't even affect our wage bill.

Blades got rid when they were two divisions lower. Got a feeling he might be a disruptive influence looking at his reaction to some decisions when I watched televised Charlton game. Pundit did say he was highly valued and their talisman, however. Deffo need to move at least one out to accommodate him but if JR can now get going we won't need him.

Guest wilyfox
13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Now also again being linked with Jonson Clarke-Harris of Bristol Rovers

I suggested him a coupla months back. Would be good cover and comp for Fletcher. Very similar playing style and attributes. Some experience at this level too. Does suffer a bit with niggling injuries though. 

Just now, wilyfox said:

I suggested him a coupla months back. Would be good cover and comp for Fletcher. Very similar playing style and attributes. Some experience at this level too. Does suffer a bit with niggling injuries though. 

Yeah I can recall you suggesting him Seem to remember him being reasonably quick at Rotherham

Guest wilyfox
12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yeah I can recall you suggesting him Seem to remember him being reasonably quick at Rotherham

Not blistering pace, but quicker than what we've got up there. At some point we're gonna have to protect Fletcher or he'll break down. JCH would be a decent option of a good age to add to the squad - but we're gonna be linked with a fair few strikers in the weeks ahead. 

I've seen him play a few times for Charlton and was suggesting signing him in the summer. I live a few miles from the Valley and get free tickets occasionally. The local fans love him. He's not lightning pace, but would be quicker than any of our players - and the perfect partner for Fletcher. 

He's been out for 14 weeks yet still has 5 goals. He should be back playing on Saturday, so isn't a long term injury. He started 41 games last season and scored 21, so he's not a crock like some are making out. Seems a sensible, low-risk signing - that's if there's any truth in the rumours. 

20 hours ago, owlsfan_72 said:

I've seen him play a few times for Charlton and was suggesting signing him in the summer. I live a few miles from the Valley and get free tickets occasionally. The local fans love him. He's not lightning pace, but would be quicker than any of our players - and the perfect partner for Fletcher. 

He's been out for 14 weeks yet still has 5 goals. He should be back playing on Saturday, so isn't a long term injury. He started 41 games last season and scored 21, so he's not a crock like some are making out. Seems a sensible, low-risk signing - that's if there's any truth in the rumours. 

His record overall is poor so not sure why he would be regarded as low risk? We would be signing him based on one season of his long career?

10 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

His record overall is poor so not sure why he would be regarded as low risk? We would be signing him based on one season of his long career?

True, but I guess it could be looked at that, his career is going in the right trajectory, unlike Rhodes, who was signed following a couple of poor seasons, but who otherwise had an impressive CV All transfers are a risk I suppose, but how much of a risk will be down to the size of the fee

24 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Low risk because you can sign a player who appears to be able to perform well at this level given recent evidence for a fee that would be below market price.  As guru mentioned, that's unlike the Rhodes signing which was high risk because we paid a premium price for a player who we hoped might recover his old form (he may still do so, but a higher risk nonetheless).

I think it's interesting that Brentford tried to sign Taylor in the summer, Charlton rejecting multiple bids from them.  In terms of recruitment Brentford are one of the smartest teams around at the moment; they use cutting-edge analytics to identify players who may be undervalued.  It's allowed them to sign good players for relatively low fees who then can be sold for large profits.

Edited by oz_owl