We just dominated Derby County

3 minutes ago, clud17 said:

Thought it was a typical Wednesday performance. Only played for one half of the game. Took a lead and lost the lead in the last part of the game. Once again  it left me frustrated. 

On top of that i thought we were going to break the voodoo curse at Derby but sadly as with many other games this season we just cant get the second goal and kill the game off. 

Sums it up. We’ll still be in this league next season basically. 

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

Think that says more about the standard of the division this year tbh.. derby aren't much..

But isn’t that always the case?

Each season we fear eight or nine teams at the outset, then ten weeks in we all say the division is poor.

It is what it is. A hugely competitive modest standard league of 24 teams. Are we competitive? Absolutely we are.

5 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

The slow slide has started Im afraid, lose on Saturday and we will be out of the running.  Thrown too many points away.

Unless we spend which we won't in January we will fall away.

Have a word with yourself. We recently won 1 game in 6 and are still within a win of 3rd place.

Just now, Holmowl said:

But isn’t that always the case?

Each season we fear eight or nine teams at the outset, then ten weeks in we all say the division is poor.

It is what it is. A hugely competitive modest standard league of 24 teams. Are we competitive? Absolutely we are.

It's certainly not something I usually say.. this division in this year look more than modest.. although I agree that a lot can change before May..

Whatever Derby have been in other seasons, that's the poorest Derby side I've seen for a good while.

But I knew that before the game anyway, and knew that the game was there for the taking.

Hard to take comfort from just a point tonight then.

As for not being far off it with Monk; yeah, I probably agree, and yet though we'd all agree the squad is lacking in a few areas, he can still afford to be more positive at times. I've seen this most readily with the subs - and not just tonight, but since he got here.

Sadly, it looks like strengthening in January is something that he'll probably be quite limited in, and with the a very possible (and large) point deduction on the horizon, this is going to be a very frustrating season - and not least because the quality of the division this season is very even.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

I thought Derby were shocking tonight and a good side (let alone very good) would have beaten them with something to spare.  We are kidding ourselves if we think this season is going to have a positive outcome (unless that’s avoiding relegation).  Time and again we show ourselves to be capable but ultimately ordinary I’ve tried hard to get excited about this team but being honest I’ve found much of this season to be pretty boring.  

Hardly boring, and compared to 13 months ago we are in a good place. 

My main concern is not putting teams away when we're on top. Two key additions in January will see us contenders for the play offs, until the points deduction kicks in we might aswell enjoy it.

We were so on top 1st half but needed to kill them off with 2-3goals after that u knew that derby would come into it as we sat back as usual, options off bench dont help nuhiu n murphy again none  excistant. 2nd half we were 5/10 when we were 8-9/10 inv1st half we needed the 2nd goal though derby did defend well.

13 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Exactly one win in six is the reason why we won't go up.  We dont look like we can go six games without losing but we do look like we can go six games without winning.

1 defeat in the last six.

We don't look like scaring anyone but by contrast I haven't seen anyone we should fear or anyone who has deservedly rolled us over and we are almost halfway through the season. 

We are in touch with 3rd place on merit, not by luck.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Hardly boring, and compared to 13 months ago we are in a good place. 

My main concern is not putting teams away when we're on top. Two key additions in January will see us contenders for the play offs, until the points deduction kicks in we might aswell enjoy it.

Maybe I’m losing the passion of my youth, when winning was all that mattered, because right now I’m finding performances on the pitch very boring - I would happily settle for mid table and a bit of entertaining football.  Let’s face it, despite there being no outstanding play-off contenders (assuming West Brom and Leeds are out of reach already), we will not be involved come May.  Perhaps I should wait to see what business (if any) we can do during January before writing the season off, but as things stand I’m a little lacking in festive spirit.

8 minutes ago, Cheshowl said:

I wouldn’t say we dominated derby, for the first half yes but a draw was a fair result in the end. It felt like a different team came out for the second half. I thought the subs were poorly thought out from monk today.

We were better in the first half than Derby were in the 2nd so as the away team we could lay claim to meriting the 3 points but we only have ourselves to blame for that 2nd half display. 

Agree on the subs, in a scrappy game with no space in behind I don't see Murphy making much of a positive impact and once we went to 1 up front and that 1 wasn't Fletcher there was no chance of us offering a threat.

Derby are crap. 

We should have been out of sight in the first half, but we did our usual thing of only taking once chance. 

We then sit back, allow them to come onto us, but even then, they were pretty hopeless. 

Inevitably though, we give away a stupid penalty and before you know it, it is us who is clinging on for a point. 

46 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I thought we dominated them for the first half. 

Personally thought they were on top - without really threatening- for large parts of the second 

Exactly that, I thought we were awful 2nd half and ended up getting what we deserved 

Yeah, the second half wasn't a great advertisement for Championship football. 

The quality was nothing short of atrocious. 

There was a 10 or so minute spell where the ball literally just kept getting twatted up in the air from one side to the other. 

Appalling. 

Edited by SiJ