It was obvious the ref was going to make his own impact on the game

So why do our players give away cheap fouls and free kicks

We made it easy for the ref to gift them a goal tonight

The cheating coont couldn’t wait to award them everything  and we let him do it

very poor from us and we need to learn from it FFS

2 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

Monk got the subs wrong. 

Other things conspired against us too. 

However, there’s always something about Wednesday that let you down.

No matter what we do, or who the manager is, it’s not meant to be for us to be successful. 

Today is something we've seen before many a time.  

Yeah seen many times before...

Awful toxic fans having a go.

8 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

To be honest I would have quite liked him to come out after the game and say the free kick and Flint jumping around was an absolute joke of a situation and awful from the referee. 

He did. He just did so without effing and blinding, tw*tting the referee and tying the linesman to a corner flag by his dangly bits, which is what I'd have wanted to do.

:duntmatter:

He's jumping up and down; he's even looked at the 'keeper to see where he is to make sure he does it and of course it's a distraction.

Jumping with your arms and doing a starfish jump has to be a distraction. I don't know why that's not interference or offside. He's clearly offside and trying to interfere with the goalkeeper's eyeline, but there's nothing we can do about it.

How they missed that, I don't know because it's not hard to spot - a 6ft 5 inch player doing star jumps.

7 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Awful toxic fans having a go.

It can be quite frustrating being a Wednesday fan (understatement). 

We’ve conceded a goal in the 87th minute in a game we should have won. 

Monk got his subs wrong (in hindsight). It’s OK to say that. 

The game was there to be won, so I’m not exactly pleased about ‘nearly’ winning it, that’s all.  

9 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Was thinking this all second half. All too bloody familiar. We struggle immensely to kill games off and always have. We sit back, invite it all on and then the outcome is inevitable 

It’s because we don’t take our chances when we get them. The opposition will always have a spell in a game where they look dangerous in this league.But at 2-0 you normally deal with it better than at 1-0. That extra goal advantage is a huge psychological bonus for the winning team and has a detrimental effect on the side pushing for goals.

We dominated the first half. Second half we came out strong and should have killed the game then. Off the top of my head, Luongo was in but made the wrong decision. Fletcher had a tame shot saved should be doing better. Bannan broke through and unleashed A pea roller into the keepers hands. There were instances in the first half where we should have killed it to, but decision making wasn’t right. 

We aren’t clinical enough and haven’t been for 2 seasons. We rarely manage a game well and punish the opposition when on top. Boro this season being the only exception. Throughout our midfield and attack I don’t think we have a player who you guarantee will take their chances when it falls to them. Therefore when we fail to get a goal, the opposition grow into the game and we panic as we don’t have the mental toughness to see a game out. We’ve seen it time and time again. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

I thought the first half was some of the best football we've played this season and we should of been more than 1-0 up. Second half yes we sat back I was slagging Reach off until I noticed he did two cracking tackles back in our half kept an eye on him after that he did a lot of running and pressing. Murphy oh god don't get me started one of the worst displays I've seen in a Wednesday shirt. FF must start in front of him now. Luongo to me looked unfit not saying he had a bad game to be fair he did ok just needs more match time. Still think the free kick was a joke goal and let's face it var would of ruled that out. Overall a lot of positives and some negatives Bb coming off I couldn't get my head around anyway onwards and upwards.

Maybe Monk saw that the ref was giving lots of fouls (some correct, some not) and decided it wasn't the correct 'environment' for Fernando with how the ref was.

I mean, Fernando has something to prove to get back into the team, we know he can be persistent and a nuisance to the opposition player, hounding them down.

He possibly thought with the ref giving 'niggly' fouls he would end up booked or worse.

12 hours ago, Stoop said:

If the ref and linesman do their jobs right, then we’d all be on here praising Monk for nullifying the Cardiff aerial threat by bringing Nuhiu on to see the game out 

91B4D7D5-A957-433F-90F6-59525107B23C.gif

Disagree. They hadn't threatened all game despite the height advantage from set pieces. The subs he made only invited more pressure

2 hours ago, BBob said:

Maybe Monk saw that the ref was giving lots of fouls (some correct, some not) and decided it wasn't the correct 'environment' for Fernando with how the ref was.

I mean, Fernando has something to prove to get back into the team, we know he can be persistent and a nuisance to the opposition player, hounding them down.

He possibly thought with the ref giving 'niggly' fouls he would end up booked or worse.

On reflection I think this is what happened. 
Imagine FF charging around with his enthusiasm and then someone like the fat idiot Tomlin faking injury to get FF sent off.   
I suspect FF will play a bigger role on Tuesday when there’s less spot light on him 

3 minutes ago, poite said:

Disagree. They hadn't threatened all game despite the height advantage from set pieces. The subs he made only invited more pressure

I can't agree with that. There was a set piece earlier where Dawson came and got nowhere near it, and a couple of other pinballs in our area. Flint and Morrison are two of the best at winning headers in the league and would cause any team problems.

It was another classic Wednesday away performance.

We played really well first half then ended up sitting back in the second and failed to impose ourselves.

The free kick was a soft decision, but time and time again we give away fouls in that area.

So frustrating.