Garry Monk

I'm refusing to let any of the be!!end officials, Tomlin, Flint or Colin take away from the positives I saw in this game.

Monk has us playing with real purpose and given more time and a couple of windows to tweak I think we can do extremely well under this manager.

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Was thinking this all second half. All too bloody familiar. We struggle immensely to kill games off and always have. We sit back, invite it all on and then the outcome is inevitable 

Exactly. 

Somehow we couldn’t get another vs Wigan.... we couldn’t get one against Hull... we scored just one tonight with all the freedom we had. 

It’s baffling. 

Just now, Kopparberg said:

Exactly. 

Somehow we couldn’t get another vs Wigan.... we couldn’t get one against Hull... we scored just one tonight with all the freedom we had. 

It’s baffling. 

Exactly. We get the 1 goal then chill out.

Is the desire strong enough to go and get a second? Seems an alarming issue 

29 minutes ago, DidOwl said:

and how he sat back

I saw it more that we were pushed back. Bacunna for Ward had an influence on the game but not as much as the HT whistle. 

5 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Exactly. We get the 1 goal then chill out.

Is the desire strong enough to go and get a second? Seems an alarming issue 

Totally...

I’m not sure why we seem to carry this ‘fear’ around with us.... like we  had done enough and didn’t want to keep expressing ourselves just in case - when the alternative is conceding a goal somehow anyway. 

Despite doing OK goals wise this season, the final third of the pitch seems our worst third for me.  

32 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

I don’t blame Monk for the last 35mins. It’s the players and their lack of mental strength and physicality that cost us again. We have done this sort of thing time and again in the last 4 to 5 years.

When the going gets tough in games, Palmer, Fox, Reach and Murphy are a liability, Bannan becomes too lightweight and Harris drifts out of the game. Tonight only Hutchison in midfield tried to play football in the second half and control things but he was alone in that.

Spot on post ! 

We have a soft centre !! I’m guessing Monk knows this which is why Bannan was taken off not Luongo.

Problem is there are too many of them that when the going gets tough they go missing. 

32 minutes ago, Stoop said:

He’s definitely flat footed, but I think he does an excellent job in defending our box near the end of games

I agree. Not all about stats, but Nuhiu actually won more aerial duals in the 20 minutes he was on the pitch (4) than Fletcher did in the entire match (3).

5 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

I agree. Not all about stats, but Nuhiu actually won more aerial duals in the 20 minutes he was on the pitch (4) than Fletcher did in the entire match (3).

Lol, he won 1. And completed 1 pass. Watch it again tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Don't need to watch it back, there's people who count these things online. He won 4 aerial duels and completed 5 out of 12 attempted passes.

5/12 hey? Do you realise the doodoo we would be in if all our players had such an abysmally low pass completion %? The only player to have a lower % would have been the chump Murphy, who probably had 0% due to him never actually attempting a pass, and just choosing to cough it up each and every time. Nuihiu must love having him in the team, to take the focus off himself.

(Btw I dispute the 5 completed passes)

1 hour ago, Kopparberg said:

Monk got the subs wrong. 

Other things conspired against us too. 

However, there’s always something about Wednesday that let you down.

No matter what we do, or who the manager is, it’s not meant to be for us to be successful. 

Today is something we've seen before many a time.  

Jesus.

3 minutes ago, steelerian said:

5/12 hey? Do you realise the doodoo we would be in if all our players had such an abysmally low pass completion %? The only player to have a lower % would have been the chump Murphy, who probably had 0% due to him never actually attempting a pass, and just choosing to cough it up each and every time. Nuihiu must love having him in the team, to take the focus off himself.

(Btw I dispute the 5 completed passes)

Nuhiu isn't the reason we didn't win that game. Simple as that.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, torryowl said:

when your hanging on away from home  bringing adthe on is a no brainer ...taking bannan  off probably isn't …….don't think it affected the outcome but worrying that he thought it was the way to go .   

I’m a Bannan fan but he was very poor second half. Hardly touched the ball for 30 mins. When the other team starts to get on top Bazza is a liability. Not negging him or blaming him. Just doesn’t have physical attributes when the going gets tough. 
Would have preferred a straight swap for Lee tonight to bring extra pace, composure and energy whilst keeping the solid team shape.

For an hour we played a Neil Warnock team with a great home record off the park and should have been more than a goal up.

When was the last time you saw Hutchinson and Bannan breaking from midfield like they did tonite, That is down to Monks tactics.

Ok with hindsight it is easy to criticise the substitutions but when he brought Nuhiu on we needed more strength in the air to combat the Cardiff set pieces.

I for one am very optimistic after what I have seen tonite.

• Like 1

Thought the Nuhiu sub caused us more problems, once bannan went off and Nuhiu went up to we lost that extra cover in the center, countless times they ran straight at our back 4.

I could understand the sub for the height but it left us exposed in general play. It should have been Fletch for Nuhiu, Harris for FF and Pelupessy for bannan.

But in the end we were done by the ref.

5 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

For an hour we played a Neil Warnock team with a great home record off the park and should have been more than a goal up.

When was the last time you saw Hutchinson and Bannan breaking from midfield like they did tonite, That is down to Monks tactics.

Ok with hindsight it is easy to criticise the substitutions but when he brought Nuhiu on we needed more strength in the air to combat the Cardiff set pieces.

I for one am very optimistic after what I have seen tonite.

yeah I thought we looked competitive and can see us being one of the contenders for the play offs …..