Jordan Rhodes

17 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Headed a gilt edge chance straight down the goalkeepers throat earlier on, then dave nipps in and scores ahead of him to be the hero of the hour. 

Bullen said it was a game for those that want a match day shirt not in the 11 to play themselves into contention. 

May be why Rhodes looked dejected, as Nuhiu on performance must be second behind Fletcher. 

Nuhiu provided far more threat and on another day with luck and things dropping his way, may have sneaked a hatrick. 

The good run in the box and shot for the keeper to save down low. 

The offside header they just kept out and scrambled away and of course the winner. 

Offered far more offencivly and goal threat than Rhodes, Winnall and Nando. 

that's the problem bud,if Nuhui is our 2nd best striker ,as it seems to be,we have no chance of top 6 

11 minutes ago, Brando17 said:

that's the problem bud,if Nuhui is our 2nd best striker ,as it seems to be,we have no chance of top 6 

Atdhe's going to be our Pukki this season and score 30/35 goals. And that little nudge on Rhodes show that nothing and no one will get in his way. Go gerrem warrior. FFS

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Brando17 said:

Rhodes was Norwich's 2nd best striker last season!

52 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Headed a gilt edge chance straight down the goalkeepers throat earlier on, then dave nipps in and scores ahead of him to be the hero of the hour. 

Bullen said it was a game for those that want a match day shirt not in the 11 to play themselves into contention. 

May be why Rhodes looked dejected, as Nuhiu on performance must be second behind Fletcher. 

Nuhiu provided far more threat and on another day with luck and things dropping his way, may have sneaked a hatrick. 

The good run in the box and shot for the keeper to save down low. 

The offside header they just kept out and scrambled away and of course the winner. 

Offered far more offencivly and goal threat than Rhodes, Winnall and Nando. 

Was his header a guilt edge chance? I know he can do better and it was a decent opportunity, but hardy one he should be scoring most the one.

Why with Nuhui it’s on another day and it’s luck? Why does the same not apply by your reasoning for Jordan. I’d say the offside header and the shot the keeper saved were much better chances than the Rhodes header.

I’m not saying a prefer one or the other, but it seems your post is awfully biased towards Nuhui, who I believe missed the better opportunities, yet is given more slack by yourself.

Couple of screenshots to show the chances in question.

4B09D19F-741A-40D1-BF86-2CD9C321716A.png

86F9C113-8BD9-49E8-B908-8245013052F7.png

4CEA1746-B340-4AFF-81C9-2EB6D8D6E288.png

Edited by jonesy87shef

I never forgave him for refusing to take a penalty that could have sent us to the playoff final.  Disgraceful that, a striker at that.  He can go anytime for me, what a waste of money he's been.

1 hour ago, Brando17 said:

To be fair he showed on thing Rhodes hasn't shown all the time he's been here. 

HE WANTED IT!! and was prepared to take out anything in his path to get to that ball. 

That's the problem with Jordan, I'm not sure his hearts totally in it here. 

1 hour ago, jonesy87shef said:

Was his header a guilt edge chance? I know he can do better and it was a decent opportunity, but hardy one he should be scoring most the one.

Why with Nuhui it’s on another day and it’s luck? Why does the same not apply by your reasoning for Jordan. I’d say the offside header and the shot the keeper saved were much better chances than the Rhodes header.

I’m not saying a prefer one or the other, but it seems your post is awfully biased towards Nuhui, who I believe missed the better opportunities, yet is given more slack by yourself.

What I'm saying bud, is he got in more goalscoring positions, fashioned one himself and had the desire and determination to run through Rhodes and everyone elso to get on the end of things. He was more of a threat to goal was my actual point. 

Bullen praised Jordan for his running and yards covered, but he hardly had a sniff apart from that fox cross. 

Makes you wonder if he's doing his running in the right areas of the pitch?? 

It used to drive me crazy when Rooney would chase an opposition player all the way into our corner flag, we'd win the ball back and loose it again becouse we'd look up and our striker wasn't available. 

I'm not saying this is what Jordan is doing, but looking at old footage, he used to expend most of his running In and around the box. 

Maybe he's become more of a team player and working harder, but it does lessen his goal threat. 

2 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

What I'm saying bud, is he got in more goalscoring positions, fashioned one himself and had the desire and determination to run through Rhodes and everyone elso to get on the end of things. He was more of a threat to goal was my actual point. 

Bullen praised Jordan for his running and yards covered, but he hardly had a sniff apart from that fox cross. 

Makes you wonder if he's doing his running in the right areas of the pitch?? 

It used to drive me crazy when Rooney would chase an opposition player all the way into our corner flag, we'd win the ball back and loose it again becouse we'd look up and our striker wasn't available. 

I'm not saying this is what Jordan is doing, but looking at old footage, he used to expend most of his running In and around the box. 

Maybe he's become more of a team player and working harder, but it does lessen his goal threat. 

Yep I understand your point. 

I actually think Rhodes would do better this season as we get the ball forward much quicker and the ball in the box. Lots of his movement is just holding a run, a yard cut back, 1 touch out his feet and hit and just getting on the end of anything, defections, loose balls, rebounds etc. I don’t think he’ll get a chance and to be honest he hasn’t done much performance wise to earn game time. Shame as I think it we played with Fletch up top and wingers we’d see a big improvement.

I think his running has come from pressing higher up the pitch and he’s also constantly looking to be on the shoulder and get that half a yard.

2 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Yep I understand your point. 

I actually think Rhodes would do better this season as we get the ball forward much quicker and the ball in the box. Lots of his movement is just holding a run, a yard cut back, 1 touch out his feet and hit and just getting on the end of anything, defections, loose balls, rebounds etc. I don’t think he’ll get a chance and to be honest he hasn’t done much performance wise to earn game time. Shame as I think it we played with Fletch up top and wingers we’d see a big improvement.

I think his running has come from pressing higher up the pitch and he’s also constantly looking to be on the shoulder and get that half a yard.

I think one of the problems with Jordan is yes you could play him off Fletcher for flick ons and knock downs, but he defiantly has lost a yard or two of pace off the mak he had when he was free scoring a few years back and it makes a massive difference at this level. 

Sheringham played till he was almost 40 at a high level becouse even though he had no pace he had the anticipation and vision to spot a half chance before others did or defenders could react. 

Owen lost that bit of pace that made him effective and was done by 32.

I think it's a similar thing, he can spot a chance, but more often than not just hasn't got the pace /acceleration to get to it first. It's a shame, but I fear he's going to struggle at this level. 

1 hour ago, jonesy87shef said:

think your right bud

3 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

The fact people are trying to prove he is better than Nuhiu tells it’s own story

and failing as things stand on form for us.

36 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

The fact people are trying to prove he is better than Nuhiu tells it’s own story

In the two and a half years since Rhodes signed for us (all competitions and including the loan at Norwich)...

Rhodes 45+53 appearances, 19 goals

Nuhiu 35+47 appearances, 20 goals

So a striker who is lethal with any chances that come his way has been outscored by someone who is much more wasteful and plays less often? The obvious is staring some of the devoted in the face and they won't see it. Stop blaming everything else in the universe.

And remember, this is the one thing he is supposed to be good at. If you introduce all the other elements a striker can bring (beyond the mindless obsession with goalscoring alone), Nuhiu is disappearing over the horizon as far as Rhodes is concerned.

Edited by DJMortimer

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

In the two and a half years since Rhodes signed for us (all competitions and including the loan at Norwich)...

Rhodes 45+53 appearances, 19 goals

Nuhiu 35+47 appearances, 20 goals

So a striker who is lethal with any chances that come his way has been outscored by someone who is much more wasteful and plays less often? The obvious is staring some of the devoted in the face and they won't see it. Stop blaming everything else in the universe.

And remember, this is the one thing he is supposed to be good at. If you introduce all the other elements a striker can bring (beyond the mindless obsession with goalscoring alone), Nuhiu is disappearing over the horizon as far as Rhodes is concerned.

Those are the facts, plain and simple.

As you say Nuhiu brings more than goals to the game, Rhodes does not and you can add to those stats the fact that in a fair few of Nuhiu's substitute appearances he was brought on for nuisance effect and to win headers in his own box rather than do anything in an attacking sense.

I hope the next time Rhodes gets a run out he proves me and many others wrong a bags an important goal or two but the time when I am watching him and expecting this to happen has sadly long since passed by.  

“I didn’t know where to go, what to do, what I was doing right and what I was doing wrong. I wasnt on form. Wasnt scoring like i had previously. Bobby said: ‘I have watched videos of you, I’ve studied how you are playing, I’ve studied your body language and I wanna see you smiling again.’ He told me: ‘I have watched you playing and your trying too hard, running too much, everything is going away from goal. You have got to go the other way, run towards goal. Just play the width of the 18 yard box for a few games. It was as simple as that, but I hadn’t been told it before. It saved my career, without a shadow of a doubt.”

Alan Shearer 

• Like 1

Guest Bulgaria
6 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

“I didn’t know where to go, what to do, what I was doing right and what I was doing wrong. I wasnt on form. Wasnt scoring like i had previously. Bobby said: ‘I have watched videos of you, I’ve studied how you are playing, I’ve studied your body language and I wanna see you smiling again.’ He told me: ‘I have watched you playing and your trying too hard, Just play the box .It was as simple as that, but I hadn’t been told it before. It saved my career, without a shadow of a doubt.”

Peter Stringfellow.

:image:

14 hours ago, Mus said:

I never forgave him for refusing to take a penalty that could have sent us to the playoff final.  Disgraceful that, a striker at that.  He can go anytime for me, what a waste of money he's been.

To be fair he wouldn't have made a difference,  and was probably lined up for the 6th pen. CCs comments did him no favours.

Hutch would still have stepped up to take the first because that's the sort of bloke he is. FF was the regular pen taker and was given the vital 5th. And the middle 3 were scored anyway. So if Rhodes was going to take one it'd have been most likely in place of one of the players who scored anyway. And given that every pen I've seen him take in the last few years has been a namby pamby sidefoot to the keeper's left he may well have missed it and put us out sooner.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

To be fair he showed on thing Rhodes hasn't shown all the time he's been here. 

HE WANTED IT!! and was prepared to take out anything in his path to get to that ball. 

That's the problem with Jordan, I'm not sure his hearts totally in it here. 

Absolutely. This photo says it all, Nuhiu has a big defender wrapped around his neck, Rhodes in front of him, and he still showed the desire to battle and stick it in the net. When was the last time Rhodes showed that sort of determination?

_108533883_nuhiu.jpg.c8257cad1639813d029e7b7f024d72e6.jpg