Jordan Rhodes

15 minutes ago, PolarNigel said:

Can't we just release him? Can we pay another team to take him off our hands? He offers absolutely nothing and showed himself up last night big time as the sulky little man baby that a lot of us previously assumed. 

And yet, everyone who's worked and played with him says he's the nicest guy in the world.

Including the wee bullied kid that he sent a hand-written letter and some signed boots.

Short memories some folk have on here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cookeh said:

And yet, everyone who's worked and played with him says he's the nicest guy in the world.

Including the wee bullied kid that he sent a hand-written letter and some signed boots.

We don't pay him to be nice. We pay him to be a footballer who wants to play for Sheffield Wednesday. ... not Huddersfield or Norwich.

11 minutes ago, cookeh said:

3 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

We don't pay him to be nice. We pay him to be a footballer who wants to play for Sheffield Wednesday. ... not Huddersfield or Norwich.

Don't want to repeat the comment above, but he's employed to play football for us, not be a 'nice' guy

Guest Grez Bez

Just watched the Rotherham game and his movement is great but he never gets the ball. Not sure if that is because he has been poor or something else.

Looks pissed off towards the end (good sign).

Also when we score nobody even acknowledges him. I think he doesn't fit in in the dressing room by the looks of it.

Outside of Fletch we are very poor up front now

He just comes across as a bit soft and lacking in any self belief.

Who knows how our dressing room is, but you'd think there are a few big personalities in there - Westwood, Hutchinson, Bannan, Nando, Adthe etc. 

Apparently, Norwich wanted him back in the summer, but that was largely on the basis that he is a lovely lad. I suppose being a lovely lad (who barely plays) is all well and good when the team is flying. Might have been a different story if they are struggling in the Prem.

Guest Grez Bez
26 minutes ago, SiJ said:

He just comes across as a bit soft and lacking in any self belief.

Who knows how our dressing room is, but you'd think there are a few big personalities in there - Westwood, Hutchinson, Bannan, Nando, Adthe etc. 

Apparently, Norwich wanted him back in the summer, but that was largely on the basis that he is a lovely lad. I suppose being a lovely lad (who barely plays) is all well and good when the team is flying. Might have been a different story if they are struggling in the Prem.

Agreed, I have ZERO knowledge but I think the likes of Fessi, Nuhiu, Fox, Bannan and a few other are very close (judging on video's and seeing them out in town). Probably hard to break into that if your shy. 

42 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

37 minutes ago, PolarNigel said:

Don't want to repeat the comment above, but he's employed to play football for us, not be a 'nice' guy

The comment i was replying to was calling him a "sulky little man baby".

That warranted a reply.

As for paying him to play for us.. actually we mostly pay him to sit on the bench. When he does play we have repeatedly decided not play to his strengths, thereby making him look like a shadow of his former self, and that's on the manager. He's not Nando.. he doesn't drive past Watford and suddenly go on strike. Last night, in the 96th minute, he ghosted away from his man to the back post and leapt for a header to try and win the game. Nuhiu bashed him out the way and scored, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Rhodes is still 100% doing his job that late in the game.

As for wanting to play for Huddersfield and Norwich? I've never heard anything from Rhodes about wanting away. Have you? Or are you just casting aspersions to try and pretend like you're right?

35 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

Exactly.. a player who's pissed off that he's not scored shows he cares and wants to score.

But because he's pissed that he didn't score a goal for us.. he's dubbed a "sulky little man baby"

ffs.. our fans some times.

3 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

Agreed, I have ZERO knowledge but I think the likes of Fessi, Nuhiu, Fox, Bannan and a few other are very close (judging on video's and seeing them out in town). Probably hard to break into that if your shy. 

Remember his dad left the club too. 

Not sure what the circumstances of Andy's departure were, but perhaps that didn't help? 

Fletcher, Nuhiu, Winnall, Hooper, FF, Joao, Rhodes. That’s just way too many strikers to have had at any club at one time. Someone was always going suffer - Winnall, Rhodes, Joao all look to have been p*ssed off at some point. It’s no surprise really, Winnall and Rhodes need balls into the box regularly and consistently and they also need a run of games not bit part appearances. It’s a shame but I doubt will see them feature for us much more.

11 minutes ago, cookeh said:

That warranted a reply.

As for paying him to play for us.. actually we mostly pay him to sit on the bench. When he does play we have repeatedly decided not play to his strengths, thereby making him look like a shadow of his former self, and that's on the manager. He's not Nando.. he doesn't drive past Watford and suddenly go on strike. Last night, in the 96th minute, he ghosted away from his man to the back post and leapt for a header to try and win the game. Nuhiu bashed him out the way and scored, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Rhodes is still 100% doing his job that late in the game.

As for wanting to play for Huddersfield and Norwich? I've never heard anything from Rhodes about wanting away. Have you? Or are you just casting aspersions to try and pretend like you're right?

The bloke didn't want to join in the celebration of a last minute winner in a local derby, actively shying away from his team mates and the fans. Atty attacked the ball, which is what you wanna see a striker do. What was he meant to do? Lift Rhodes up in the air and cradle him afterwards? 

In regards to him not wanting to be here, he acknowledged during and after his loan spell that he ideally he'd like to remain down there full time. 

And casting aspersions? Quite rich from someone who's using an incident involving Forestieri from 3 years ago!

27 minutes ago, cookeh said:

That warranted a reply.

Refused to take a penalty against Huddersfield and stated openly that he wanted to move to Norwich.

Really don't know who you're watching playing...but it's not Rhodes. I'd  suggest you try and understand football a little more. Or you're  just his Dad.

And re last night.  Who actually put the ball in the net ?  Not Rhodes. That's  all that matters. Scoring. His performances when he has been on the pitch have been woeful.

Edited by quinnssweetshop

It has been almost 4 years since Rhodes last had a decent scoring run of any length whatsoever. In that time he's been at 4 clubs, under at least 6 managers, in 2 divisions. God knows how many different team mates he's had or what amount of formations and tactics have been used.

Yet despite all of those endless changes of circumstances, the merry-go-round still has to keep turning until he gets things absolutely right? Yet all our other strikers have been able to score at a relatively decent rate regardless of all of the comings and goings?

Some posters it seems just cannot let go their starstruck awe of Rhodes' goals totals from yesteryear. They will keep throwing out excuses until he eventually bags a couple and will no doubt then proclaim how right they'd been all along. Can a player as good as they claim him to be really go this long with such a meagre return? If there was any sign in his play of something waiting to happen it would be perhaps a straw to clutch at, but let's be honest, there hasn't been any sign since his first few games here.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

It has been almost 4 years since Rhodes last had a decent scoring run of any length whatsoever. In that time he's been at 4 clubs, under at least 6 managers, in 2 divisions. God knows how many different team mates he's had or what amount of formations and tactics have been used.

Yet despite all of those endless changes of circumstances, the merry-go-round still has to keep turning until he gets things absolutely right? Yet all our other strikers have been able to score at a relatively decent rate regardless of all of the comings and goings?

Some posters it seems just cannot let go their starstruck awe of Rhodes' goals totals from yesteryear. They will keep throwing out excuses until he eventually bags a couple and will no doubt then proclaim how right they'd been all along. Can a player as good as they claim him to be really go this long with such a meagre return? If there was any sign in his play of something waiting to happen it would be perhaps a straw to clutch at, but let's be honest, there hasn't been any sign since his first few games here.

ian rush once was lethal in front of goal he ended up at pigs and hardly scored a goal , Rhodes at blackburn was last time he scored at a decent rate that was 4 seasons ago , I stated when we signed him that he hadn't done anything in 18months and paying 8-9million for him along with 40k a week wages was madness ,id have sooner kept joao but we were forced to sell him due to wasting money on the likes of him. 

1 hour ago, bobness said:

What did I miss? I was under the impression that for the most part he already has failed...

Edison failed 1000 times to create the lightbulb but he got it on the 1001st time, or so the the story goes.

Rhodes has played for us about 50 times....give him time, maybe after another 951 tries he will find his form.lol

I still think there's a player in there if he can get his head right. Whether he ever will is debatable.

1 hour ago, LSOwls said:

Just watched the Rotherham game and his movement is great but he never gets the ball. Not sure if that is because he has been poor or something else.

Also when we score nobody even acknowledges him. I think he doesn't fit in in the dressing room by the looks of it.

Yes, my take is that playing alongside Nuhiu combined with the players not being that used to playing with him, he didn't get much of the ball. I would guess that he was desperate to score, perhaps he'll look back and probably regret not being a "team player" but a spur of the moment reaction tells of his frustration more than his lack of desire, he's a goal scorer at heart who didn't score 

He might have realised half way through the game he was getting nothing because they were aiming for Nuhiu

Edited by jomaco

Guest Grez Bez

Just been watching his old goals on multiple videos. He never creates his own chances but players use him in tight spots; essentially his movement is very good but he is not asked to do anything else really. 

2 hours ago, LSOwls said:

exactly my sentiments ,apart from Fletch,we are wee wee poor up front,everybody went overboard about the new injection of pace, but with nobody to finish,still same as we were last season,but without the player who was in favour and could possibly have got us 15-20 goals...who we never replaced..typical owls

17 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

Just been watching his old goals on multiple videos. He never creates his own chances but players use him in tight spots; essentially his movement is very good but he is not asked to do anything else really. 

You can see him moving a lot, then getting frustrated when he never receives the ball, surely bannan/Lee will be intelligent enough to use him, if he can get a place in the team